Eastern Caribbean in Dec - First Timer Questions

cessnabmw

Hello!

We are first time cruisers and have some questions please. Would really appreciate your help. 2 adults and 2 Kids (8 and 9) from Fort Lauderdale in Dec.

1. For dining, do we sit on our own or do we sit with others? And dow we sit with them every night?

2. Does the Freedom have both buffet and sit down for lunch and dinner?

3. What do we pack for Dec? Do we need sweaters?

4. How many formal outfits do we need?

5. Suggestions on hotels near the port for prior and post cruise?

Thanks!!

If you have an assigned dining time ( early or late) you may have a table for just the 4 of you. If you have a larger table with others you will be with them throughout the length of the cruise. You can stop in at the MDR on embarkation day and look for your table. If you prefer to sit by yourselves and have been assigned to a larger table you can ask the Maître D to see if you can be switched.

As for the weather in Dec ,I would suggest taking a sweater. You might not need it but you never know. If you want to be on deck in the evening you might be happy to have it.

The buffet is open for lunch and dinner every day. I have never sailed from that port so I cannot answer about the hotels but I believe that there is a message board related to ports. You might find hotel info. Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Your kids will be in two different camps. The 9 year old will need your permission to sign them selves in and out of camp

Do the dining room for dinner every night. Have the kids try a new food. We ordered one thing new off the menu every night and had everyone taste it. Then we talked about what we liked and didn't like.

There is a fig dessert that sounds nasty but after trying it last cruise I loved it.

Especially the chilled soups...do they still have those? Bet they will love the strawberry soup.

Find out if your ship has the table side magician. Waiter did a fabulous job with getting the 8 year old to eat her meals with the promise of the magicuan visit after she was done.

Kids banana split is divine...everyone can order it..itsn the kids menu

cessnabmw,

I'll answer your question #3 and #5.

#3. You could bring either sweater or windbreaker (warm up jacket). Wool sweater makes me itch so I brought windbreaker. My kids brought their hoodies. (That was our January cruise out of Port Everglades).

#5. Many cruisers stay at Embassy Suite on S.E. 17th Street and Hyatt Place on S.E. 10th Ave. I've stayed at Hyatt Place for one night pre-cruise and it's okay. Next time I'll stay at Embassy Suite.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

As far as hotels, I have stayed in quite a few. 17th Street is the best place to stay. Everything is in walking distance to restaurants, bars, banks, shops, liquor stores...dollar store....which is great to pick up toiletries instead of hauling those items in your luggage.

Since you have two young children, I would recommend Extended Stay on 17th Street. Get the room with two queen beds. There is a kitchen with a full refrigerator which may be important for your kids (drinks, snacks) and also and iron and ironing board. They have a free shuttle that picks you up at the airport and takes you to the cruise port the following day. When you check in, tell them the time slot you want to be taken to the cruise port the following day. It is relatively inexpensive also.

As far as hotels, I have stayed in quite a few. 17th Street is the best place to stay. Everything is in walking distance to restaurants, bars, banks, shops, liquor stores...dollar store....which is great to pick up toiletries instead of hauling those items in your luggage.

Since you have two young children, I would recommend Extended Stay on 17th Street. Get the room with two queen beds. There is a kitchen with a full refrigerator which may be important for your kids (drinks, snacks) and also and iron and ironing board. They have a free shuttle that picks you up at the airport and takes you to the cruise port the following day. When you check in, tell them the time slot you want to be taken to the cruise port the following day. It is relatively inexpensive also.

I just noticed you also said "post" cruise. If you stay at this hotel post cruise also, they will pick you up at the cruise port when you disembark and will also take you back to the airport when you check out of the hotel. The staff is wonderful...you will save tons of money on cabs and shuttles.