Holland America Angled Verandah Signature Suites (Cat SY)

SCjason

Hello Cruisers!

I just reserved a category SY (Cabin 8099) on the Westerdam. The layout shows this cabin as one of the 4 per deck that are on the angle from where the ship recesses. If you look at the stateroom layout, it actually looks like these rooms are a bit larger as they are the same size as the suites next to them on one side and then extend to meet the verandahs on the other side.

Even on Halfacts there is very little information available about these cabins. Are they better, worse? Is the layout different, the same? Do you get cheated on the verandah because it's angled or do you actually get more room? I would love some feedback from anyone who has stayed in one of these Signature Suite angled cabins.

Thanks!!

Perfect, thank you so much! I was going to just get a VC balcony but when I saw that angled suite available I couldn't pass it up! I've had the suites on the aft but never like this so I wanted to make sure it didn't end up being a terrible cabin!

We've had that cabin on the Westerdam at both the front and rear posisions. We love them. The veranda is larger and you have more room by the door inside your cabin to either move the chair out of the middle of the room or put extra luggage out of your way. Hope you enjoy it!:)

Thank you retiretwo! I am glad this one is aft so that our more exposed side is to the front rather than the rear. I was just shocked that as close as we are to sailing that this room was still available! I must have got lucky and had someone cancel last night ha ha.

We did a late paid upsell ($199 pp) on a 12 day Med Cruise on Oosterdam into this type cabin. It was great. I believe it has more room and also gives the enhanced feeling of more space due to the layout. Would book it again without hesitation.

Gary

We have had this type of cabin twice, the first time by chance and the second as an requested upsell. Both have been aft. We like the extra space inside and the views from the balcony. As Gary said, would book it again without hesitation.

GaryDM & Sotiris, Thank you both for your insight as well. All of the feedback that I have received has been very positive so I no longer have any worries at all about my cabin choice - Although now I am wondering if I should have tried for an upsell instead of just booking it and giving them all my money lol

I shared this cabin with my dear MIL on the port side and we loved it. It is slightly larger due to the angle. I didn't tell her we would be in this category and she flipped when we walked in. It is quite windy when underway. :)

Edited by Skipper's Mom

Perfect Skip! It's going to be a great surprise from the balcony cabin that we were "supposed" to have reserved... I'll save the real surprise for the key entry :) I love the wind feel when you are on the balcony, it makes me actually feel at sea. It didn't by chance rain did it? I'm wondering if being exposed like that could make the verandah unusable in a storm? Almost like the Emerald Deck on Princess where if you are in those mini-suites in a storm then you just downgraded to an ocean view lol

Thank you retiretwo! I am glad this one is aft so that our more exposed side is to the front rather than the rear. I was just shocked that as close as we are to sailing that this room was still available! I must have got lucky and had someone cancel last night ha ha.

It happens sometime. I tried to book a cruise and the cabin that I wanted was gone but the next day it was available. It could have been on hold or the person who had it cancelled. Yes sometimes we get lucky. Hope you have a great cruise.

Hello Cruisers!

I just reserved a category SY (Cabin 8099) on the Westerdam. The layout shows this cabin as one of the 4 per deck that are on the angle from where the ship recesses. If you look at the stateroom layout, it actually looks like these rooms are a bit larger as they are the same size as the suites next to them on one side and then extend to meet the verandahs on the other side.

Even on Halfacts there is very little information available about these cabins. Are they better, worse? Is the layout different, the same? Do you get cheated on the verandah because it's angled or do you actually get more room? I would love some feedback from anyone who has stayed in one of these Signature Suite angled cabins.

Thanks!!

the bolding is mine. I do hope that you will keep halfacts in mind when you go on your cruise. We would love to have your pics and your comments.

The side facing section of the veranda is covered; the front facing part is a little exposed but your views are amazing. There is more room between the sofa and veranda door than in a regular suite of this type. If you put one of the side chairs there and even the coffee table you have a great spot to read or look out if it is rainy. Also that leaves a lot more room to navigate around the bed.

It is /was our favorite cabin...liked it better than the Neptune suites with the battle between the bathroom door and the dressing table seat. (of course no Neptune goodies but you are closer to the stairs to the Lido so you won't starve).

I found pics of cabin 8094 Zuiderdam on Halfacts. It is a bendy on port side. I also booked this cabin instead of regular verandah as surprise for my Mom on Panama Canal trip Nov 28. As Westerdam is also a Vista, should be pretty close.