Kathy's Not-Quite-B2B 2014 Vacation: Miracle in Alaska and Glory Western Caribbean

nybumpkin

The last time we visited Roatan we docked at Coxen Hole and took a Victor Bodden “Best of Roatan” tour. It was a great tour, but since this cruise was more about relaxing we opted to spend our time at the Mahogany Bay beach area.

15260054361_e2024572d8_c.jpgIMG_2191 by baxted, on Flickr

Main mast, with flag of Honduras flying.

15076454689_c5761b9c3c_c.jpgIMG_2184 by baxted, on Flickr

Shipwreck. As I understand from our tour with Victor Bodden, there's no romantic tale to be told about this ship. It just was caught in a storm and sank at anchor.

15076474079_4c6c107d62_c.jpgIMG_2182 by baxted, on Flickr

Welcome to Mahogany Bay.

As in Cozumel, we weren’t in too much of a hurry to disembark – but if there are two ships in port, don’t wait too long. We were in port with Carnival Sunshine (again).

15076599617_ca73e890e8_c.jpgIMG_2188 by baxted, on Flickr

Carnival Sunshine, docked to our stern.

The beach chairs – especially those in the shade – go quickly. We disembarked and walked over to the beach area. It wasn’t worth it to take the flying chairs – the walk isn’t that bad. We found a nice shaded area with chairs and settled in.

15262851722_93b6a21f04_c.jpgIMG_2180 by baxted, on Flickr

Flying chairs.

15076618630_64e2a0affb_c.jpgIMG_2172 by baxted, on Flickr

Beach chairs in the shade. And electronic devices.

15076589820_35c908dee6_c.jpgIMG_2175 by baxted, on Flickr

Welcome to Mahogany Bay.

DH and I went swimming. The water was really nice.

15076672370_d840d5b223_c.jpgIMG_2166 by baxted, on Flickr

Glory from the beach.

15263158435_e0fb07cab2_c.jpgIMG_2189 by baxted, on Flickr

The beach from Glory.

There are lots of restaurants and bars available, but we had decided we’d just get something to drink and then have lunch on the ship. Back on board was 2:30 so we figured we’d pack up earlier. DH and the boys went back aboard the ship while I looked around the shopping area.

15263294855_08dcb3d6a2_c.jpgIMG_2174 by baxted, on Flickr

At 14, he hasn't had to tip anyone yet.

15240184666_4053bd1ab7_c.jpgIMG_2186 by baxted, on Flickr

Mahogany Bay shopping area.

Another past guest party, which was fun. Way fewer platinum and diamond cruisers than on the Alaska cruise, as you might expect.

15260342991_8dc6040b62_c.jpgIMG_2207 by baxted, on Flickr

Sunset, leaving Roatan.

Tonight was also the Caribbean deck party. I watched for a while, but didn’t try the buffet. It looked good, though.

Love your review so far. Brought back memories of my trip to Alaska last year.

The next morning, we awoke to look out our window at the ships in port. At about 10:30 we took a taxi to the port – the taxis were lined up right outside the hotel. It was a 5 minute ride, we were dropped off quickly, gave our luggage to a porter, and went through Platinum check-in very quickly. We were aboard around 11:15. It took a bit longer on this cruise to get our luggage, but we still had our bags well before muster drill. Lunch was a first sampling of Guy’s Burgers – and they’re good. I had four on our sailing.

15033680560_dbd9fd7d43_c.jpgIMG_1998 by baxted, on Flickr

View toward South Beach and Government Cut

15197393966_58d57aae37_c.jpgIMG_1991 by baxted, on Flickr

Red Frog Rum Bar. I really like Thirsty Red Frog, and most of the bars aboard serve it.

15197339376_9f58ac949b_c.jpgIMG_1999 by baxted, on Flickr

Blue Iguana. To be honest, I never visited the bar. Red Frog seemed to have better hours.

Glory is an old friend for us. We sailed on her four times before, three Canada cruise from NYC and one Eastern Caribbean cruise from Port Canaveral. We had aft wrap 8455 and adjoining starboard balcony 8449 – the “bowling alley.” Our cabin steward had the balcony opened very early in the cruise, so we had the starboard corner of deck 8 all to ourselves. I'll post balcony pictures along the way.

OMG...we just upgrades to cabin 8455.... It's a surprise for our kids and granddaughter. So excited to read your review and see pictures, IRL so to speak.

OMG...we just upgrades to cabin 8455.... It's a surprise for our kids and granddaughter. So excited to read your review and see pictures, IRL so to speak.
You will love this cabin! Best balcony on the ship, IMHO - along with 8448.:) I'm going to try to post photos in the next segment of the review.

You will love this cabin! Best balcony on the ship, IMHO - along with 8448.:) I'm going to try to post photos in the next segment of the review.

:D looking forward to seeing your photos. Did you hear much noise from above? Also, is the balcony visible to those looking over from Lido. Wondering about my sunbathing options! :eek::p

:D looking forward to seeing your photos. Did you hear much noise from above? Also, is the balcony visible to those looking over from Lido. Wondering about my sunbathing options! :eek::p
Funny you should mention that - there were some folks down on deck 7 that didn't realize their balconies could be viewed from above and I ended up seeing more than I probably should have.:o If you're right by the wall of the cabin on the aft or angle side you're not visible from above, but closer to the railing the folks above can see you. However, around the corner on the starboard side the deck is not visible from above at all. A suggestion: When on deck 9 at the Lido buffet, go all the way aft on the starboard side by the ice cream and look down. You'll be able to see how much of the balcony is visible from above.

As for noise - we had none.

Edited by nybumpkin

Funny you should mention that - there were some folks down on deck 7 that didn't realize their balconies could be viewed from above and I ended up seeing more than I probably should have.:o If you're right by the wall of the cabin on the aft or angle side you're not visible from above, but closer to the railing the folks above can see you. However, around the corner on the starboard side the deck is not visible from above at all. A suggestion: When on deck 9 at the Lido buffet, go all the way aft on the starboard side by the ice cream and look down. You'll be able to see how much of the balcony is visible from above.

As for noise - we had none.

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to see your pictures. :D

The red and white flag you asked about hanging from the mast is called "hotel" or signal flag H and is hoisted when a harbor pilot is aboard.
Thank you! I knew it had a meaning out there. Pilot aboard makes sense.

I'm hoping I'll be able to finish this review in the next few days. My computer seems to have other ideas.:rolleyes:

This was our last port of our two cruises. So far we did three days in Seattle… a catamaran ride to the glaciers in Tracy Arm… a steam train ride up the mountains into Canada… white water rafted and rode the tram in Juneau… a night in Miami… Paradise Beach in Cozumel… a river trip and Mayan ruins visit in Belize… and went to Mahogany Beach. I hadn’t planned anything in Grand Cayman, figuring we’d just walk around or get a cab to Seven Mile Beach. We anchored off George Town with Carnival Dream and a Royal Caribbean ship (Freedom of the Seas?).

15276828776_0d4fdfeaf0_c.jpgIMG_2220 by baxted, on Flickr

George Town, Grand Cayman

15296573801_79bca8f604_c.jpgIMG_2214 by baxted, on Flickr

Carnival Dream in Grand Cayman

15112932889_4365b81570_c.jpgIMG_2215 by baxted, on Flickr

Freedom of the Seas (?) in Grand Cayman

15113080658_a6700f6b40_c.jpgIMG_2218 by baxted, on Flickr

Another view of George Town

15299640725_3179203b17_c.jpgIMG_2219 by baxted, on Flickr

Forward View

I kept thinking about what we should do with our day – and finally said to DH, “You know? I think I’d just like to take the day to enjoy the ship.” I think I was just too tired of planning excursions. I thought the boys would object, but they didn’t – it just meant more time that they could enjoy the basketball court. (As an aside, the sports deck on Conquest-class ships closes around 5:00. It’s right above the steakhouse, and the diners did not particularly enjoy dinner with the ceiling above throbbing with the sound of shoes and bouncing balls. Given the port schedule, sons hadn’t had too much time to play on this cruise.)

So we stayed on the ship. We had breakfast, then the boys took off to play sports. DH and I donned our bathing suits and headed to one of the aft hot tubs. All the while we heard Craig announce tender numbers; while tendering in Grand Cayman is easier than Belize, it’s still a lengthy process. We were joined in the hot tub by a couple from the Midwest who were waiting for their tender number to be called. I think they were Tender #24. Nice people and we enjoyed talking with them.

15299680445_0f8ca16958_c.jpgIMG_2217 by baxted, on Flickr

Main mast, Grand Cayman

15299863065_a1354f8183_c.jpgIMG_2221 by baxted, on Flickr

Serenity Deck

After the hot tub we spent some time in the aft pool. It was nice having the pool practically to ourselves. Then we changed clothes and had a great time hanging out on the Lido deck, not waiting at all for a Guy’s burger – or anything else, for that matter.

By mid-afternoon, folks started coming back – although last tender wasn’t until 5:15.

As I mentioned earlier, this was our fifth cruise aboard Glory and our second time in Cabin 8455. I promised cabin photos, so here they are. Some of them are from this cruise, some are from our prior cruise.

15299693592_62e525c335_c.jpgGE DIGITAL CAMERA by baxted, on Flickr

Desk and mirror

15113301489_0deb4276b1_c.jpgGE DIGITAL CAMERA by baxted, on Flickr

Bathroom

15277030426_d04552a7d0_c.jpgGE DIGITAL CAMERA by baxted, on Flickr

Looking toward balcony and bathroom doors

15113370930_dbda255f3d_c.jpgGE DIGITAL CAMERA by baxted, on Flickr

Looking toward balcony

15299651545_7a703caf28_c.jpgIMG_2006 by baxted, on Flickr

Boys on balcony

15112895009_1d88035405_c.jpgIMG_2007 by baxted, on Flickr

DH preparing to take a picture

Back in our cabin, we had a fair collection of towel animals that had accumulated during the week. We decided we needed to have some fun with them. Or, maybe they needed to have some fun.

15113010370_bf0fc88043_c.jpgIMG_2213 by baxted, on Flickr

Towel animals in need of some sun.

15113059289_9c87f620ae_c.jpgIMG_2224 by baxted, on Flickr

Drinks and a poker game - what better way to spend the day?

15113282037_2a1e859103_c.jpgIMG_2223 by baxted, on Flickr

I'm not sure who was winning.

15113007279_3d83c0709b_c.jpgIMG_2229 by baxted, on Flickr

Dancing Waiters.

15113171678_dfa670be88_c.jpgIMG_2230 by baxted, on Flickr

More dancing.

When we returned from dinner, we had an elephant who joined the party. Now the game was blackjack, and the elephant was the dealer.

15113182487_cf2eae8857_c.jpgIMG_2232 by baxted, on Flickr

Blackjack.

Entertainment tonight was fairly limited. The Playlist shows were Motor City (no interest) and Epic Rock (already seen). We had a drink in the Ivory Lounge on Deck 4, the area that used to be the cigar bar on Conquest-class ships. We remembered how we loved this space for an after-dinner drink and jazz – or, in one case, classic rock. Now it seemed used for little more than a staging area for the aft dining room bar service. We also spent some time listening to the music of Déjà vu on the Promenade Deck – tonight was 80’s night.

For the first time we went to Sea Day Brunch. We had the Platinum drink coupons to use and we did want to try the dining room. It was very good – DH ordered a Bloody Mary and I ordered a Screwdriver, we had a basket of bread on the table (loved the croissants), and plenty of coffee. DH ordered Eggs Benedict while I opted for eggs sunny side up, white toast, and a side of corned beef hash. I really wish they still served the hash at the Lido buffet.

On we went for a last round of cards on the Lido deck and some coffee. Lunch on Lido – a last Guy’s Burger (and I think I doubled up with a taco from Blue Iguana), then back to the cabin to pack up. Dinner was fine – this time the wait staff sang the usual “Leavin’ on a Fun Ship.” After dinner, another visit to a few of the music venues.

15159690479_93b96c7ae9_c.jpgIMG_2245 by baxted, on Flickr

Back in Miami. We watched the Carnival Victory come in. If you read from the beginning, you'll recall we first started this idea of a Caribbean cruise to follow the Alaska cruise with a 5-day Victory cruise. In fact, I think the cruise I originally looked at was the one that departed this day. Victory was our first ship in 2004, and I still love her - even if he doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships.

As Platinum cruisers, we could disembark early. We didn't see much of a need to do so since we were not flying home until Sunday and had a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for Saturday. We left our cabins, had breakfast, and got a cab to Fort Lauderdale easily. There's a taxi line right outside the dock.

Omg, your picture of the towel animals playing poker is hilarious. Thank you for the balcony and cabin pics. I am SO excited about this cabin!
Our cabin stewards loved it. Our main steward told us his assistant came up to him and said "Well, the towel animals in 8455 are drinking and playing cards.":p We loved their Blackjack response.

We decided to fly home on Sunday – the schedule made much more sense for us, so we decided to spend a day in Fort Lauderdale. We found the Crowne Plaza Hollywood – not too far from the beach and with a stop on the water taxi route, right on the Intercoastal Waterway. We took our time getting off the ship and got a taxi, and were at the hotel early. We knew our rooms wouldn’t be ready, but they stored our luggage, gave us a schedule for the water taxi and the trolley, and directed us to a hole-in-the-wall diner down the street for breakfast. What a find – it was really good.

We decided to take the water taxi and have lunch in FLL. You have to follow the schedule closely if you’re on the Hollywood line – it doesn’t operate often. We had a great ride from Hollywood to Port Everglades – the captain and first mate provide great commentary. We motored past Oasis of the Seas and Vision of the Seas; Vision is completely dwarfed by Oasis. At Port Everglades we had to change taxis, easily done. Then we motored up to Las Olas, where we found a restaurant right on the waterway. Then back to the water taxi and Hollywood.

url=https://flic.kr/p/p6DMgo]15160159560_57a755484a_c.jpg[/url]IMG_2265 by baxted, on Flickr

Hollywood, ICW

15160303247_f277a115c5_c.jpgIMG_2268 by baxted, on Flickr

Changing taxis, under the bridge

15160234028_6083c7e9eb_c.jpgIMG_2272 by baxted, on Flickr

Caribbean Princess at Port Everglades

15346466202_df2213437b_c.jpgIMG_2278 by baxted, on Flickr

Oasis of the Seas

15346759085_117e1e3e4d_c.jpgIMG_2280 by baxted, on Flickr

St. Louis Express. She's US-flagged. Possibly a couple of students from USMMA are aboard.

15160042820_81402e3ebb_c.jpgIMG_2282 by baxted, on Flickr

Vision of the Seas. When you see her with Oasis you can really see the difference in size.

15346425082_8a4fe59bb9_c.jpgIMG_2247 by baxted, on Flickr

Boys at Las Olas

15160144078_682c06e182_c.jpgIMG_2248 by baxted, on Flickr

Canal from the water taxi.

15159906159_d404b86987_c.jpgIMG_2256 by baxted, on Flickr

Wow, this life is rough....

15160082298_79e2e84c4f_c.jpgIMG_2258 by baxted, on Flickr

Another "life is rough" photo.

The Crowne Plaza has a nice pool and tiki bar along the Intercoastal Waterway, where we had dinner. They had a wedding going on at the other side of the pool, so we were able to join in the festivities – at a distance.

15323867956_9c39775aed_c.jpg2014-08-09 20.06.25 by baxted, on Flickr

Boys and me, poolside

15346885555_02c20ddda6_c.jpg2014-08-09 20.06.37 by baxted, on Flickr

ICW at sunset

Sunday morning we awoke early and the Crowne Plaza had called a cab for us to take us to the airport. 8:00 cab and 10:00 flight and we were fine. We were back in Albany a little after 1:00 and home before 2:00.

Pulling in the driveway, I noticed the vegetable garden didn't quite look right. When we left we had nicely growing sunflowers, beans, squash, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant and tomatoes. We came home to eaten sunflowers, beans and squash as well as trampled tomatoes. Yes, the deer had managed to get over the 5-foot fence and do their best to ruin the harvest. (Apparently they don't like eggplant because we have tons.:eek:) This morning I saw two bucks scouting the backyard. And hunting season is coming....

So my thoughts on Carnival Glory? This was our first cruise out of Miami in more than 6 years. There is a very definite Latin flavor to Miami cruises and I heard more Spanish spoken on a cruise than I have in a long time. (Estudie el espanol en el colegio - no hay problema.)

For the most part we enjoyed the 2.0 upgrades. The American Table/American Feast menus were fine. Guy's Burgers were a real addition, and Blue Iguana was very good. we didn't try Alchemy Bar, but it looked good and I'd like to try it again. Playlist Productions - well, a definite miss for us. We really didn't care for it at all and will probably skip it in the future, even though Epic Rock was at least tolerable. The other available entertainment was good, so if our future cruises have similar entertainment we'll be fine. However, I really miss having a live band. (The main lounge paled in comparison to what we had on Miracle in July.)

Our cabin staff was wonderful. They took good care of us. We sent laundry out twice during the cruise and it was returned promptly. And we loved their Blackjack response to Towel Animal Poker.:D

To sum up both cruises - They were both very good, but poles apart in experience. Miracle was all about experiencing Alaska, while Glory was for the most part a "beach" cruise. Both were port-intensive, but Glory felt more laid-back. I think a lot of that comes from the idea that you're not going to get back to Alaska again so you need to see everything - while in the Caribbean you're more comfortable skipping a port because you know you can get back there again.

So what's next? When we were on Glory in Miami at the start of our cruise, we were in port with Carnival Breeze. She sailed before we did, and we started scoping out cabins as she sailed by. A few weeks later and here we are, booked on the July 4, 2015 8-day Breeze Southern Caribbean cruise. Aruma, Curacao, La Romana, and Grand Turk. The last is the only port we've visited. New ship, new ports...Can't wait!:D