Check-in for Miami Airport?

13cheermom

Will be flying in/out of Miami Airport for the first time next month. Have read on here that FLL won't allow check-in/baggage drop off early. For those that have used Miami repeatedly, do they also have these restrictions? We have a 3:15 flight leaving and want to just hang at airport (eat lunch, etc.) to wait for our flight. Will this be doable? I imagine after leaving port we should arrive at airport around 10:30 or so and would like to check bags and just relax at the airport. Sounds like at FLL thats not allowed, and concerned Miami has those same policies. Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Most airlines will accept bags starting about 4 hours prior to departure. A nice tip to the curb side check-in guys may help you stretch this time limit, or you can pay a fee to store your bags inside of MIA.

If you get off the ship and to MIA little earlier you have time to catch the airport flyer bus ($2.35 each) to South Beach for an early but nice lunch and then head back to the airport; sure sounds better than hanging out at MIA to me.

Most airlines will accept bags starting about 4 hours prior to departure. A nice tip to the curb side check-in guys may help you stretch this time limit, or you can pay a fee to store your bags inside of MIA.

If you get off the ship and to MIA little earlier you have time to catch the airport flyer bus ($2.35 each) to South Beach for an early but nice lunch and then head back to the airport; sure sounds better than hanging out at MIA to me.

We are in a VERY similar situation in November, with our flight out of MIA being at 3:25pm (sucks, but the only other one earlier was at 9:40am). I have been researching options as to what we could do instead of hanging at the airport :(. Do you know how often the bus comes around on South Beach? This sounds like something we could do, but want to make sure we have enough time to get back to MIA.

I realize their are other things to do to pass the time, however after a pre-cruise stay in Miami and 7-day cruise, would rather just relax and not worry about getting to airport on time. We have done this at other airports with no problem and just enjoyed a nice lunch and cocktail pre-flight. It's just my husband and myself so we are content to just chill at the airport. My only concern was when reading about FLL about their strict check-in times. Sounds like Miami doesn't have the same restrictions. Guess we will just find out that day. Thanks for the information.:D

I've not experienced a problem checking in relatively early, around 10am, for 3-3:30pm flights at either FLL or MIA. I'd have to check time stamps on photos for actual times but those were off the top of my head.

I've done so without tipping anything other than what I normally would.

I haven't checked in with the intention of bending the rules or getting around anything. I never even considered it an issue until I read about it on here after the fact.

I can't speak for whether it will or will not be an issue for anyone else. I'm just relaying my personal experience.

I've not experienced a problem checking in relatively early, around 10am, for 3-3:30pm flights at either FLL or MIA. I'd have to check time stamps on photos for actual times but those were off the top of my head.

I haven't checked in with the intention of bending the rules or getting around anything. I never even considered it an issue until I read about it on here after the fact.

I can't speak for whether it will or will not be an issue for anyone else. I'm just relaying my personal experience.

Thanks so much for your input, as I realize it's only your personal experiences. The airlines goto answer is 4 hours like stated above, however I hope to have some of your luck at the airport. Never really thought about it either until reading on this Florida departure board, so thought I should inquire further. Not going to concern myself at this time. Flight times are kinda scattered going to Miami (either too early or really late) so thought mid afternoon would work well. Guess this will be one cruise I will be delaying my departure from the ship lol.

Thanks so much for your input, as I realize it's only your personal experiences. The airlines goto answer is 4 hours like stated above, however I hope to have some of your luck at the airport. Never really thought about it either until reading on this Florida departure board, so thought I should inquire further. Not going to concern myself at this time. Flight times are kinda scattered going to Miami (either too early or really late) so thought mid afternoon would work well. Guess this will be one cruise I will be delaying my departure from the ship lol.

To play it safe we usually opt for 3pm flights out. I don't want to risk missing my flight if it's too early and if we choose a later afternoon flight it allows us to to something rather than sitting around for a couple hours for noon or 1pm flight.

The last couple years I've flone Jetblue in and out of FLL. Out of curiosity I just checked their website (The bolded red is my doing):

Checking in Your Bags

• All baggage must be checked at the airport at least 30 minutes prior to departure on domestic flights, and 60 minutes prior to departure on international flights.
  • If you are traveling to an International destination, please check in at the ticket counter.
  • Baggage will NOT be accepted for check in more than six hours prior to a flight's scheduled departure time.
  • Please check information specific to items such as sporting equipment, firearms, musical instruments, etc. for guidelines on transporting them on JetBlue flights.
  • Are you planning on bringing carry-on items on your flight? Be sure to check our Carry-on Baggage Requirements.
  • Permitted/Prohibited Checked Baggage Items

I' am curious to know when the last time you checked baggage into FLL. I know my last two cruises they would not allow people to check their bags in if their flight was not within the 3 hour window. There were ton of people sitting off to the right in the seating area there since they were made to wait?

also-- did you go during a week day or a weekend? I dont know if they do this on the weekday

I' am curious to know when the last time you checked baggage into FLL. I know my last two cruises they would not allow people to check their bags in if their flight was not within the 3 hour window. There were ton of people sitting off to the right in the seating area there since they were made to wait?

also-- did you go during a week day or a weekend? I dont know if they do this on the weekday

The last time I did this was Friday, November 1, 2013.

Maybe it's an airline specific rule? Which would make sense since they have to handle the luggage.

As I posted above, JetBlue indicates on their website that luggage can be checked-in up to 6hrs prior. We've only flown JetBlue in and out of FLL.

For a 3:30pm flight that puts it as 9:30am as to when you can check luggage.

Airlines may have different rules. We flew out of Miami to Toronto on a Monday with Air Canada, arrived at MIA about 3 to 3.5 hours before the flight, and waited what seemed like a long time for the check-in desk to open ... I would say we waited at least an hour :(

We are also in the same situation with our flight out at 4:35 (so we need to be there at 2:35).

Where do you have your bags stored at MIA? Where do you get the schedules for the airport flyer?

We were also thinking of just hanging around the airport or letting the cruise line handle the bags and taking a cab from the port to South Beach and back to the airport, but that is a lot of money having them take the bags and we didn't want all the bags checked.

Edited by sunflower47