Port of Boston

tfox1018

Ah Pony Player I see you are quite well acquainted with the Cross Bronx (aka "road from hell"). Thought about the TZ and GS Pkwy have done that a few times also. Having driven everywhere except for California and now reaching the ripe old age of 70+ with a lead foot I find that the freeways in North Jersey and freeways around NYC are not my favorite place to be. Driving will still be easier then flying to Boston from Philly. Sturbridge could be looking better and better.

Thank you for your reply.

IMHO the GSP is a nicer trip than the NJTP. In fact that will be our route when we head to Baltimore to board Grandeur of the Seas. But that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors.

Cross Bronx Expressway joke: A guy is driving the CBE and his car overheats. He pulls into the breakdown lane, gets out and opens the hood. Another car pulls up behind him, the driver gets out and says " You want the battery? OK,I'll take the wheels!". ;-)

Edited by Pony Player

I agree about the Cross Bronx, but I also don't like the GSP either. I lived in Paramus for a while and avoided the GSP like the plague. Anyway, the secret to the GW bridge is to spend the money on the Henry Hudson Parkway - the toll keeps the riff raff off that road and of course there are no trucks. They eliminated the tolls booths on the bridge across the Harlem River. If you don't have an EZPass, they will send you a bill in the mail!

Thanks for your reply.

Will look into HI Express, was it easy to get to from freeway? The streets of Boston are always an adventure to drive on worse then Philadelphia, not as bad as New York city. On the other hand we thought your fair city of Toronto was a pleasure to drive in.

Was the parking lot fairly secure in your opinion?

We got in at 2am so it was a piece of cake because there wasn't a car on the road so it was easy to change lanes as per the GPS.

We have a mid-range, new sedan and there were cars far more expensive than ours on the lot so we felt it was perfectly safe :D. One of the tripadvisor posters I emailed privately actually felt that the lot was MORE secure than the cruise lot (from their experiences). I don't know what to make of that but I thought I'd pass it on.

I know that others CC discourage staying at this hotel for a Boston stay, but I can't for the life of me understand why in the case of a long cruise. The reviews on tripadvisor are excellent, it's clean and well-maintained, and the staff is very helpful. The shuttle to and from the port is so convenient with luggage! And the price is great. If you do any post-cruise in Boston, you can always stay at another hotel during that time - just leave your car with HI Express...