Port of Boston

tfox1018

Taking a cruise with NCL this Friday. We are going with a group by private/chartered motor coach. NCL can't seem to tell us about porter info. With Princess someone comes to the bus and gets the luggage. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? :confused:

We always arrive at Boston's Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in a car company and there are always stevedores available to take our luggage right from the vehicle. It operates the same as you find in Port Everglades and other U.S. ports.

To reiterate what sail7seas said, I've never cruised from a US port that didn't have stevedores or porters to take the luggage of passengers arriving at the cruise terminal, whether by foot, car, bus, taxi, limo, bus...any means of transportation you can name.

The porters are employed by the port operating authority, not the cruise line, so it doesn't matter whether you're on NCL, Princess, HAL, or any other cruise line.

Edited by njhorseman

Just sailed two weeks ago and you won't have a problem. If they were in easy reach for a car with two bags, you can be sure they'll be all over a bus!

Even if you walk your bag in, you won't have any issues. Drop off is just inside the building, and if there's no line, it might be quicker than waiting for a porter, if your bags are manageable for you to enter the building and drop them there.

We will be arriving in Boston near the end of our cruise and where would we direct friends coming in to pick us up. We plan on visiting during our time in Port. I googled the Terminal but am not clear where they would need to be and where we come out at in order for them to pick us up. Thank you.

We will be arriving in Boston near the end of our cruise and where would we direct friends coming in to pick us up. We plan on visiting during our time in Port. I googled the Terminal but am not clear where they would need to be and where we come out at in order for them to pick us up. Thank you.

They need to be on Black Falcon Ave which is one way. When they turn onto the street they can wait on the right side at the beginning of the street and call you on your cell phone. You're just in Boston as a port stop, so Black Falcon Ave should be pretty quiet since folks are not disembarking with luggage.

Your friends are unlikely to be able to pull over park anywhere near while they call you (I think there is a cell phone lot listed on the Massport website). There are state troopers moving traffic along, and unless you are curbside ready to throw your luggage in they won't be able to pull over and wait for you - they'll be sent around the block again. Which isn't the end of the world, except that all the other cars and taxis will be ahead of them so it will be a slow crawl.

Your best bet is to have them in that cell lot or some other place well outside the port area, got outside with your bags, and wait to the left, where there are numbered areas (large orange numbered signs). Then you 'll be able to tell them "We're at #4, next to the big blue tour bus." Then when they slow and the trooper yells at them your driver can say "My people are standing at #4." Then you'll be fine.

We just disembarked last Friday. We caught a hotel shuttle back to the Park and Cruise hotel we were using to get to our car. Embarkation and disembarkation couldn't have been easier - loads of porters and people that can help. Great advice given here and lots of marked areas to make use of. Don't overthink things whether you are coming or going - it will all work out fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what hotel they used - my best guess would be the Best Western in Quincy.

The park/cruise hotels in Boston tend to be in less nice fringe areas - Quincy, Dorchester, Revere, Saugus, and Chelsea and are not particularly convenient for sightseeing.

Could you provide more details? Budget, number of people, cruise date and number of days, sightseeing plans, and where you are driving from?

The main strategy we recommend for folks taking a 7 day cruise coming from the south and west is to look for a 3* and up Hotwire hotel in the Newton/ Waltham area or even Burlington area. These are nice suburban areas with restaurants and other services. The following morning drive in I90 to the port and park for $16/ day. Most of the park/sleep hotels are northeast of Boston beyond Logan Airport or south off of I93, the infamous Southeast Expressway.

I90 connects directly into the South Boston waterfront area with almost no local street driving. When you disembark, you can grab your car and get right back onto I90 for the trip home.

Hey there,

We used Holiday Inn Express Boston (on Boston St.) 138East is absolutely right in that it was not in a convenient area for sightseeing. Having said that - it worked perfectly for our situation and provided significant cost savings.

We drove in the night before the cruise from Toronto - arriving at about 2am because we had a late start getting out that day. (so glad we weren't flying!) As my husband put it - the hotel was in a "working" part of Boston. But the hotel grounds were very well-kept, nicely landscaped and clean. Inside, the lobby was nice, and most importantly, our room was clean and comfortable.

We booked through stay123.com - I believe the rate was $169ish. For this rate we had 14 days free parking, a complementary breakfast (not gourmet but it did the job), free wifi, a free shuttle ride to the cruise port (about 10 min away), AND a ride back to the car post-cruise.

What we did was pay a nominal fee (when booking), to leave the car there an additional two nights and booked the Collonade in Back Bay for two nights using Priceline. (Thanks 138East for that suggestion.) That way, we were in a more convenient location for our Boston stay.

We were quite pleased with our choices - On embarkation day we did some power shopping in the mall behind the hotel (we're Canadian and try to sneak in some shopping whenever we can), stowed the purchases in our trunk, and took the 1pm shuttle to the port. At that time we flew through the check-in process and were able to enter our cabin as soon as we boarded.

On disembarkation we hopped on the shuttle and returned to HI Express (shuttle was there as we walked out of the port because another patron had already called earlier). This allowed us to drop off most of our luggage in the car, taking only a carry-on and a couple of backpacks to our post-cruise hotel (we took the subway from there). After 14 days of cool-weather cruising we had a lot of bulky dirty laundry and it was great to rid ourselves of it! With the shuttle so convenient, and the subway, the entire process was very easy.

(sorry) Probably a very long-winded answer to your simple question - but we were so pleased with this package we just want to share how well it worked out! Hotel staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful as well! Probably more of a deal for us since we needed 17 days of parking - not such an issue for 7 days.

Edited by FloatYourBoatSince2003
xx

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there is a store where you can buy wine and case of water in the Boston cruise port. I am staying at the Best Western Adams (Quincy) pre-cruise,maybe I could buy it somewhere close to the hotel? But it would be more convenient to do it at the port. Thanks for responses:).

I don't know what hotel they used - my best guess would be the Best Western in Quincy.

The park/cruise hotels in Boston tend to be in less nice fringe areas - Quincy, Dorchester, Revere, Saugus, and Chelsea and are not particularly convenient for sightseeing.

Could you provide more details? Budget, number of people, cruise date and number of days, sightseeing plans, and where you are driving from?

The main strategy we recommend for folks taking a 7 day cruise coming from the south and west is to look for a 3* and up Hotwire hotel in the Newton/ Waltham area or even Burlington area. These are nice suburban areas with restaurants and other services. The following morning drive in I90 to the port and park for $16/ day. Most of the park/sleep hotels are northeast of Boston beyond Logan Airport or south off of I93, the infamous Southeast Expressway.

I90 connects directly into the South Boston waterfront area with almost no local street driving. When you disembark, you can grab your car and get right back onto I90 for the trip home.

Thank you for your reply.

Two people for a 14 day cruise starting 8/1/15

Looking for a park/sleep hotel/motel with fairly secure parking lot. Budget $200.00 or less, less if possible. Room would be for a Friday night.

We will be driving from South Jersey. Depending on what route we choose we will be using NJ turnpike across the dreaded G/W bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway and I95 north or possibly coming in from the west on I90 via some back roads in NJ. If using I 90 had thought about staying in Sturbridge on Friday night and driving to the port on Saturday and parking in port garage. If we could get a sleep and park with no parking fees in Boston area with shuttle to the port and back would be great and probably a little cheaper.

We will not be doing any sightseeing on this trip.

Thank ou for any help you can give me.

Hey there,

We used Holiday Inn Express Boston (on Boston St.) 138East is absolutely right in that it was not in a convenient area for sightseeing. Having said that - it worked perfectly for our situation and provided significant cost savings.

We drove in the night before the cruise from Toronto - arriving at about 2am because we had a late start getting out that day. (so glad we weren't flying!) As my husband put it - the hotel was in a "working" part of Boston. But the hotel grounds were very well-kept, nicely landscaped and clean. Inside, the lobby was nice, and most importantly, our room was clean and comfortable.

We booked through stay123.com - I believe the rate was $169ish. For this rate we had 14 days free parking, a complementary breakfast (not gourmet but it did the job), free wifi, a free shuttle ride to the cruise port (about 10 min away), AND a ride back to the car post-cruise.

What we did was pay a nominal fee (when booking), to leave the car there an additional two nights and booked the Collonade in Back Bay for two nights using Priceline. (Thanks 138East for that suggestion.) That way, we were in a more convenient location for our Boston stay.

We were quite pleased with our choices - On embarkation day we did some power shopping in the mall behind the hotel (we're Canadian and try to sneak in some shopping whenever we can), stowed the purchases in our trunk, and took the 1pm shuttle to the port. At that time we flew through the check-in process and were able to enter our cabin as soon as we boarded.

On disembarkation we hopped on the shuttle and returned to HI Express (shuttle was there as we walked out of the port because another patron had already called earlier). This allowed us to drop off most of our luggage in the car, taking only a carry-on and a couple of backpacks to our post-cruise hotel (we took the subway from there). After 14 days of cool-weather cruising we had a lot of bulky dirty laundry and it was great to rid ourselves of it! With the shuttle so convenient, and the subway, the entire process was very easy.

(sorry) Probably a very long-winded answer to your simple question - but we were so pleased with this package we just want to share how well it worked out! Hotel staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful as well! Probably more of a deal for us since we needed 17 days of parking - not such an issue for 7 days.

Thanks for your reply.

Will look into HI Express, was it easy to get to from freeway? The streets of Boston are always an adventure to drive on worse then Philadelphia, not as bad as New York city. On the other hand we thought your fair city of Toronto was a pleasure to drive in.

Was the parking lot fairly secure in your opinion?

Two people for a 14 day cruise starting 8/1/15

Looking for a park/sleep hotel/motel with fairly secure parking lot. Budget $200.00 or less, less if possible. Room would be for a Friday night.

We will be driving from South Jersey. Depending on what route we choose we will be using NJ turnpike across the dreaded G/W bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway and I95 north or possibly coming in from the west on I90 via some back roads in NJ. If using I 90 had thought about staying in Sturbridge on Friday night and driving to the port on Saturday and parking in port garage. If we could get a sleep and park with no parking fees in Boston area with shuttle to the port and back would be great and probably a little cheaper.

We will not be doing any sightseeing on this trip.

Thank ou for any help you can give me.

The park/sleep options are not near the pier. In my opinion, I would not consider the HI Express. The area is nothing special. If you take I90 in, you would be better off staying out west and then parking at the pier.

trident one I think your strategy of spending the night before in Sturbridge and parking at the port is a good one. Outside of Metro Boston hotel rates drop off pretty quickly, you could also look in the area around I95/495 (Hopkington, Westboro and vicinity).

With regards to your route, when I'm coming home from that area, I cross over from the NJTP to Garden St Parkway, then get on I87, cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and take I287/684 which gets you to I84 and then the Mass Pike. This avoids the GW Bridge and the Cross Bronx (aka "The Road From Hell")

Edited by Pony Player

Any Hotwire 3* and up hotel in the Newton/Waltham area is going to be a good choice as well. These hotels are business hotels in a more suburban area and often have great deals on a weekend. If you want a park/sleep the best one is probably the Best Western Adams in Quincy (See directions to I95 below)

Here are the detailed directions from the GW Bridge to Boston. You do NOT want to take I95 through New York.

Directions to Massachusetts

To get to Boston you want to cross at the GW Bridge, take the Henry Hudson Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway. This road becomes the Merritt Parkway and then the Wilbur Cross Parkway in CT. You take I91 north and then I84 east to the Mass Pike (I90), which is a straight shot into the cruise terminal.

Crossing the George Washington Bridge eastbound

If you end up on the upper bridge, you want to be in the far right lane and take the very first exit at the end of the bridge to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway. If you end up on the lower bridge, you want to be in the far left lane to take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway. The HH has a $5 toll which is worth every penny. If you don't have an EZ Pass, they will bill you - be sure to look for it and PAY IT! The Henry Hudson becomes the Saw Mill River Parkway at the NYC line. You want to be in the right lane to take exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway. Stay to the left for the eventual merge onto the Hutchinson River Parkway North.

Cutover to I95

There is an easy cutover to I95 in Milford CT if you need to approach Boston from the south.

Thanks for your instructions. I was looking at the BW in Quincy, could be a good option.

your detailed instructions off of the GW are great. It has been a long time since I either drove or navigated for DH in that area. We have used all of those roads at one time or another. I have a fear of heights and really hate all of the bridges around the city, but if you want to leave NJ there is always a bridge in your future somewhere.

I am a little new to this forum and have a problem finding where I have asked questions or where I have answered one, but have found perseverance conquers all.

Ah Pony Player I see you are quite well acquainted with the Cross

Bronx (aka "road from hell"). Thought about the TZ and GS Pkwy have done that a few times also. Having driven everywhere except for California and now reaching the ripe old age of 70+ with a lead foot I find that the freeways in North Jersey and freeways around NYC are not my favorite place to be. Driving will still be easier then flying to Boston from Philly. Sturbridge could be looking better and better.