Buffet Everyday (dinner)

The OP was careful to mention that gratuities were paid. This raised a question for me. I am cruising solo soon and am considering skipping MDR for specialty and WJ. I amways struggle with do I still pay gratuities or not. I do believe in tipping but only for service provided. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As has often been mentioned on this topic, many of the servers who work in the MDR in the evening also work in the buffets and elsewhere for breakfast and lunch, and the gratuities you pay go toward that service, in part.

Read Trainman's last review. He and his wife ate dinner almost every night in the Windjammer. He has photos of all his meals.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095089

I just read his review. I won't be disappointed! Sounds like there is a nice variety for dinner. I am excited to take it easy over dinner on this trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One other thing I'll mention about the Windjammer that to me is unique when compared with the buffet lines on other ships like Carnival and Princess. In the windjammer, RCI actually provides service. If they notice you bringing food to a table without a drink, they will ask you what you want and readily bring it to you. If you drop a fork or need something from the lines that you forgot, they will get it for you. On the other lines, at least from what I've experienced, they are just table bussers - they cleanup after you leave and they take dirty dishes away.

That makes the buffet experience much better on RCI

The first time we really noticed being serviced (wait staff) at the buffet was 2012 Island Princess, and again last year on the 2013 Golden Princess. Not sure about Carnival though. Will find out in a couple weeks.

Am glad to know that RCI provides this service, haven't been with RCI in a while. I do agree about enjoying the Lido as much as the MDR with lots of the selections the same as MDR.

I would be interested in who eats at the jamma for evening meals instead of going to the dinning room? We always do late traditional dinning and tables are always almost full every night!

The people who miss MDR in favour of the Jamma must be early traditional bookers or MTD bookers?

I would never even consider missing dinner in MDR in favour of the Buffet but perhaps thats because I enjoy late traditional dinning each evening so much that i wouldnt miss it unless I was too sick to eat (never happened yet though)

And OP you may as well introduce your child to an adult style dinning experience now rather than later because you wont get any complaints from your child either option :)

Edited by fishtaco

My dh and I tried the no MDR dining for a couple of cruises and enjoyed it. What I like in particular with Brilliance is the outside dining. We did not skip the dining room every night on Brilliance though because we were with a group of friends who wanted to do MDR. The great thing about the WJ is you can try many different things at your own pace. They usually have someone who comes around to check on you for drinks etc. We found it to be a very relaxing experience, and no worries about dressing up. We really enjoyed it after a day of sightseeing when we were just too tired to spend a longer time in the MDR. I think you will really enjoy the experience and so will your toddler. We usually do it several times on a cruise now as a switch off from MTD. Deb

I would be interested in who eats at the jamma for evening meals instead of going to the dinning room? We always do late traditional dinning and tables are always almost full every night!

The people who miss MDR in favour of the Jamma must be early traditional bookers or MTD bookers?

I would never even consider missing dinner in MDR in favour of the Buffet but perhaps thats because I enjoy late traditional dinning each evening so much that i wouldnt miss it unless I was too sick to eat (never happened yet though)

And OP you may as well introduce your child to an adult style dinning experience now rather than later because you wont get any complaints from your child either option :)

We eat all of our meals in the Windjammer with the exception of the occasional lunch at the cafe in the Solarium. We also don't fall into either of your categories (early traditional or MTD bookers). We prefer doing our own thing at whatever time we want and not having to dress up to eat is a major plus in our opinion! :)