i think i got a good deal....upgrade offer

jenp123

My TA does not wait for offers. About 4 weeks out, she begins to call HAL (and others) to inquire about possible upsells.

Has your ta been successful? I took a cruise on the Eurodam last year and several folks were being offered an upsell. I was interested and my ta called and was told I did not qualify for the upsell. She didn't ask why because I'm sure Hal would have come back with a story off their script. I have rec'd offers on all cruise since I got a Hal PCC. Could be a complete fluke.

Has your ta been successful? I took a cruise on the Eurodam last year and several folks were being offered an upsell. I was interested and my ta called and was told I did not qualify for the upsell. She didn't ask why because I'm sure Hal would have come back with a story off their script. I have rec'd offers on all cruise since I got a Hal PCC. Could be a complete fluke.

I am not exactly sure how one fails "to qualify" for an upsell, but yes, my TA is usually successful with most requests, including OBC or upgrades after final payment. Although she runs a small, two person agency, she has been in the business a long time. In fact, she was my parents' TA! I am not sure what HAL calls them (every cruise line is different), but I believe she is what is known as a preferred travel partner.

I am not exactly sure how one fails "to qualify" for an upsell, but yes, my TA is usually successful with most requests, including OBC or upgrades after final payment. Although she runs a small, two person agency, she has been in the business a long time. In fact, she was my parents' TA! I am not sure what HAL calls them (every cruise line is different), but I believe she is what is known as a preferred travel partner.

Yeah, I'm not sure what qualify means either. I've found is most cases when you ask questions you'll never get a real answer so why bother. I believe it was because I booked thru a ta that had no pull even though it's a large ta. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Why are some people offered upsells and others aren't? I don't understand. :confused:

I think you have to be proactive and have your TA enquire about possible upsells. Mine always does, a few weeks before sail date, and I've had good results. Upgrades are another matter - that seems to be hit and miss. Booking a guarantee will result (probably) in an upgrade. On one cruise that I booked only two months ahead, I got 2 upgrades and then a nice upsell to a Neptune.

You are no more confused about this than anyone else. We went for thirty cruises without being offered an upsell. Then, out of the blue come two offers in a row. I suspect it has more to do with the way the cruise bookings are selling. If you booked a very popular cruise and sales are going well, they won't be offering upsells to anyone.

I see. I will still be happy with my verandah guarantee I'm sure. Think positive and positive things will come your way!

Edited by fuzzywuzzy

Yeah, I'm not sure what qualify means either. I've found is most cases when you ask questions you'll never get a real answer so why bother. I believe it was because I booked thru a ta that had no pull even though it's a large ta. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

My TA says patience and persistence are key. If you do not get the answer you want, keep calling until you do because no one at the call centers really knows or understands the correct info. Sooner or later someone will give you the desired answer.

For those who received an upgrade and/or upsell, did you book directly through Holland America or a travel agent?

Many years ago I took my mom on the Westerdam when she was new. I booked through Holland America (after we had toured her when she was in SF). We got upgraded to a suite but didn't know it until we were checking in. My mom had NO idea what was happening, but I saw the cabin number and started doing the happy dance. I tried to explain but it wasn't until she saw the cabin that she fully understood why I was so excited.

Anyway, that's never happened again but I haven't been booking through HAL.

For those who received an upgrade and/or upsell, did you book directly through Holland America or a travel agent?

Many years ago I took my mom on the Westerdam when she was new. I booked through Holland America (after we had toured her when she was in SF). We got upgraded to a suite but didn't know it until we were checking in. My mom had NO idea what was happening, but I saw the cabin number and started doing the happy dance. I tried to explain but it wasn't until she saw the cabin that she fully understood why I was so excited.

I've always used a TA.

My TA says patience and persistence are key. If you do not get the answer you want, keep calling until you do because no one at the call centers really knows or understands the correct info. Sooner or later someone will give you the desired answer.

I agree. I've had that situation myself. Now that I use a PCC I can do that. Before I was at the mercy of my ta. The last one was completely lazy. That's why I never want to use a ta again. I hear people say that a good ta is worth their weight in gold. I'd rather fight my own battles because I get much further.

I booked thru a ta for years. I was rare when I saw an upsell. I've booked the last few cruises thru a PCC and on Princess I booked thru the cruiseline. I've seen an upsell on all that I've booked directly.