Amtrak to Miami for Port of Miami Sailing - Anyone done it?

ForSharonB

Hubby and I are taking Amtrak from DC to Miami for a 11/8/14 sailing. We are excited about our 24 hour relaxing train ride in our cozy roomette before our 8-day cruise. We did this about 10 years ago and really enjoyed.

Would love to hear how others have done it recently,

We usually arrive the evening before by air and stay at a hotel near the airport.

But I think Amtrak isn't quite near the hotel.

HOW WAS YOUR TRAIN RIDE?

WHERE DID YOU STAY?

HOW DID YOU GET FROM THE AMTRAK?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!! THANKS!:)

I have not done this, but based upon my AMTRAK experience I would book to arrive at least one day early - the train is usually late! :(

The Miami station is out near the airport - you can cab to the usuall assortment of downtown Miami hotels close to POM for about $30+ and then catch another cab (about $12+tip) to the port in the morning. Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Hyatt, IC, Marriott, Doubletree & Holiday Inn are all popular on this board.

I have not done this, but based upon my AMTRAK experience I would book to arrive at least one day early - the train is usually late! :(

The Miami station is out near the airport - you can cab to the usuall assortment of downtown Miami hotels close to POM for about $30+ and then catch another cab (about $12+tip) to the port in the morning. Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Hyatt, IC, Marriott, Doubletree & Holiday Inn are all popular on this board.

Thanks... Yes, we will arrive a day early. We actually get in 7:00 PM the evening before. Surely hope there's not a delay more than 20 hours. Thanks!

Arriving that late (or later :o) you can save a few $$ by staying near the airport - several good hotel chains in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Sofitel, etc.) with shopping and dining options nearby. A few of the budget options include a shuttle to POM - Comfort Suites North and Springhill Suites Medical Center are often suggested.

Good luck! :)

We take the train to Florida (from Boston) for our transport to the cruise ports- nearly every year. We also get to port a day early.

The train ride this past March was very good. Our sleeping car attendants were helpful, the roomette was fine, the food was good, and we were on time.

Have fun and let us know how you liked your train ride.

My son & I did this a few years back. Syracuse, NY to Penn Station, switched trains to a sleeper car (roomette) very small but a lot better than just a coach seat. Included all meals which we found to be really really good. Arrived in Miami 7:p.m ish got a hotel & taxied to the pier in the a.m. then flew home. We are going to do this again in Aug of 2015. Again Syracuse to NY Penn Station then on to Miami in a sleeper car. Long ride but very enjoyable & as I said the meals were all included and were very good. We again will fly back home just because of the quicker time. 5 hrs vs. like 36 hrs total. Best of luck to you.

Arriving that late (or later :o) you can save a few $$ by staying near the airport - several good hotel chains in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Sofitel, etc.) with shopping and dining options nearby. A few of the budget options include a shuttle to POM - Comfort Suites North and Springhill Suites Medical Center are often suggested.

Good luck! :)

Thanks John -

We just stayed at the Comfort Suites for our 9/5 (NCL Sky) cruise. I kind of wanted something with nearby shopping, but I think we will stay there again. Really liked that hotel!

We take the train to Florida (from Boston) for our transport to the cruise ports- nearly every year. We also get to port a day early.

The train ride this past March was very good. Our sleeping car attendants were helpful, the roomette was fine, the food was good, and we were on time.

Have fun and let us know how you liked your train ride.

Thanks April -

Looking forward to it! Btw, where did you stay?

My son & I did this a few years back. Syracuse, NY to Penn Station, switched trains to a sleeper car (roomette) very small but a lot better than just a coach seat. Included all meals which we found to be really really good. Arrived in Miami 7:p.m ish got a hotel & taxied to the pier in the a.m. then flew home. We are going to do this again in Aug of 2015. Again Syracuse to NY Penn Station then on to Miami in a sleeper car. Long ride but very enjoyable & as I said the meals were all included and were very good. We again will fly back home just because of the quicker time. 5 hrs vs. like 36 hrs total. Best of luck to you.

Thanks Crystal -

I agree with you! Very nice to have the roomette and as you say the meals are really good! Also like you, we are flying back home. While DH is retired, I must get back to work on Monday. :cool: Also the return train is sold out, but flying home works just fine...