Fabulous Suite Upgrade and What to Expect

riddle

I was booked as a solo on the Gem 11/9 slot tournament sailing via CAS. As such, I paid NCF charges and taxes for my room for just myself and was upgraded to a oceanview via the promotion.

Well DD and her DH decided looked at the prices on a minisuite for themselves and their 2 young kids and decided to take the cruise as well.

Long story short, I was on the website yesterday and found that the 5 of us could share a 2 bedroom family suite for less than what we both were paying. I called CAS and they made it happen. They are fabulous!

We are so excited. I have combed the boards for suite perks as I had seen them many times but never thought we would be able to use them.

Not so much for myself, but for a young family with a 1-1/2 and 3 year old what kinds of things might make this a less hectic cruise for them by being in a suite? Of course, more room is fabulous but what will the butler, concierge etc. add to the cruise to make it easier travelling with 2 young kids?

I have not been in a suite with small children, so I cannot give you many details. I think you will all enjoy the option of Cagney's at breakfast and lunch, avoiding lines and buffet (unless that suites your mood that day). I think there is a DVD player/DVD loan program that might be nice for the little ones; maybe for adults, too.

Five may make the two bedroom suite feel quite full. Just curious, how have you decided to handle the sleeping arrangement? It might be nice to tuck the grandkids into the small bedroom while adults stay up later, but if you take the sofa bed, might that be awkward (privacy, bath access)? you are close relatives, so I am betting you have a good plan.

At least once a cruise my son decides that dinner will need to be in the room. He's overtired, cranky or just not feeling well. The butler is fantastic for that. Also we had a steady supply of cookies and milk. There is a DVD player so we had some of his favorites with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our plan is for me and my granddaughter, age 3 to sleep on the sofa bed in the small bedroom. If that doesn't work I'll use the pull out bed.

Toddler will be in a pack n play which I think parents will roll put in master BR and then roll it into the main area once everyone is down for the night.

We will make it work. Been in lots closer quarters.

We have stayed in 2 BR Suites several times on the Gem - like others have said, getting the upgrade is great but your particular sleeping arrangements are not going to be that great (in my opinion). Since the 2 kids are very little, they will obviously need to be in the lower bed (which is the largest bed in the second bedroom). The upper bed is a twin size that you climb up a ladder to get into. The only other sleeping option is the sofa sleeper which is in the living room sofa and is also twin in size. The master bedroom is wonderful but I assume that you would be giving that to your daughter and son in law to sleep in. The master bathroom is great but the bathroom in the second bedroom is very small in size. Your daughter and husband are making out like a bandit!

We are doing something similar with my in laws on our upcoming. I know it will be way tight but very workable. The cagneys breakfast and lunches and butler are prob your best perks. Easy ability to eat en suite if needed. Concierge to help with shows or excursions. Priority check in is a great perk. Having a bath tub for kids.

Check out cruisinmama's reviews on the family board. I am almost positive that she stayed in 2 bed fam suite on gem.

The toddler will be in a pack n play wherever his parents can fit him. I have no problem sharing the small bedroom with the 3 year old.

I know I am giving up the privacy of my own room to share the suite with my family. I will love having the kids onboard even though I know at times it will be a hassle. 3 year old will spend time in the kids club and toddler with spend some time in guppie area with one of us.

DH and I have a cruise booked just for us 2 weeks later. I can afford to be generous with my time in order to get quality time with my family and also to give them a break. It's not easy these days with both parents working and raising 2 kids. My Mom helped me a lot when my kids were little and I am giving back a little bit and that makes me happy!:o

It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trip. You have the right mind set. Spending time with your family. You aren't expecting a luxury vacation but what you will be getting is memories with your daughter and grandchildren. Have a fantastic time! The logistics will work out.

Having the little one in the port-a-crib will work just fine. That the 3 yr old with a number of options.

- sleeping with Mom and Dad in big bed

- sleeping in pull out sofabed with you

- sleeping along in pullout sofa and you do pull down

- sleeping on living room couch

By the way, they will be putting baby in MBR Bath, not the bedroom itself-but no problem at all.

The 2br Suites are awesome. We have done them a few times and love them.

The toddler will be in a pack n play wherever his parents can fit him. I have no problem sharing the small bedroom with the 3 year old.

I know I am giving up the privacy of my own room to share the suite with my family. I will love having the kids onboard even though I know at times it will be a hassle. 3 year old will spend time in the kids club and toddler with spend some time in guppie area with one of us.

DH and I have a cruise booked just for us 2 weeks later. I can afford to be generous with my time in order to get quality time with my family and also to give them a break. It's not easy these days with both parents working and raising 2 kids. My Mom helped me a lot when my kids were little and I am giving back a little bit and that makes me happy!:o

Glad you have thought it through. Sharing with the 3 year old granddaughter might work out perfectly. If she is too restless to share well, you'll figure out something else.

Hopefully, the suite perks and extra time with the grandchildren will make up for any small issues.

Just got back from a week on the Gem. I was in a two bedroom suite. I am not sure if you are staying in the same type of cabin but if you are there is a fair amount of room in the second bedroom. It was perfect for the three of us, may be a little tight with a family of five.

As far as the butler and concierge it seemed to me that they were very in tune with taking care of the kids on the ship. I know that many of them have families of their own so seeing the kids always seem to brighten up their days.

They will bring special snacks for the kids and make smiley faces out of whipped cream on their pancakes. It seemed that there were always little touches to make the kids happy.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions.

We had a two bedroom suite on the Dawn. Our 2 kids were 7 and 4. My mother in law and the kids shared the small bedroom. Mother in law and 4 year old shared bottom bed, 7 year old got top. She (mom in law) loved it. Said the bed was fine had no issues. Our butler made sure we had kid friendly snacks every afternoon. I'm afraid this cruise in 13 days on the Getaway, they are going to be disappointed not being in a suite. Have fun making memories with the family.