How quickly do the cabins for 5 sell out?

AlohaPride

We want to cruise with DCL in 2017. I know the itineraries haven't been published yet (I'm guessing we have a year or more to wait), BUT should I plan to book as SOON as they are published? How fast do the regular cabins that sleep 5 sell out? I know, as of now, the cabins for 5 on the 14 day Panama Canal itinerary we want to take are already sold out for next year.

I guess I'm asking if I need to be religiously checking for published itineraries or if I can relax a bit. LOL

Ha! I think half the fun is pouring over the deck plans and reading reviews and then securing the "perfect" stateroom when you book. If you're not booking a suite, the deposit is refundable up to a few months before. And even with a suite, it is transferable to another cruise date (so I was told by a Disney agent). So although your money is tied up longer, it's not a huge commitment. And there's that much more time to enjoy the anticipation of your cruise!

I know this doesn't really answer your question about how fast five person staterooms fill up but it's my rationale for booking early. :-)

Ha! I think half the fun is pouring over the deck plans and reading reviews and then securing the "perfect" stateroom when you book. If you're not booking a suite, the deposit is refundable up to a few months before. And even with a suite, it is transferable to another cruise date (so I was told by a Disney agent). So although your money is tied up longer, it's not a huge commitment. And there's that much more time to enjoy the anticipation of your cruise!

I know this doesn't really answer your question about how fast five person staterooms fill up but it's my rationale for booking early. :-)

Oh, we are FOR. SURE. booking early! I always book at least a year out. Travel from Hawaii is expensive and we need to take time to save up (we don't use credit cards).

Price out two connecting smaller cabins also. Often the price is similar or close, with almost twice the space a double baths, closets, etc.

Of course it depends on the size/ages of the 3-5 passengers traveling.

By then they will be 10, 9, and 7 :)

Depending on the pricing for a particular cruise, it can be a better "deal" to book 2 connecting cabins (interior door between the cabins.) The downside is that you'll pay adult rates for 2 of the kids. The upside is much more space. You BOOK one adult in each cabin, but no one cares who actually sleeps where. Connecting staterooms are available in most categories.

As to how fast cabins sell out--depends on the cruise. Special cruises sell very quickly. Grab it as soon as you possibly can for best rates and availability.