Valor balcony worth it?

sunbird21

Agreed! We find ourselves relaxing on our balcony frequently; enjoying morning coffee, reading a book, arriving or leaving port, and watching for pier runners. We won't cruise without a balcony after experiencing the other room types. The Pitons are worth the $400 for the view!

"Ditto" to this entire post.....my sentiments exactly. And OP, since you came into a few extra $$, it couldn't be better spent than on YOURSELF and your own enjoyment. We never sail without the benefit of a balcony due to ALL the exact same reasons that Aviendah above stated!! Go for it!!!

I'm another who will say "go for the balcony". Yes, as others have said, it's a port heavy itinerary, but one of the most scenic. I really enjoyed sitting on the balcony enjoying coffee in the morning when sailing into the islands and was able to get some pretty decent pictures. We had a balcony on the right (starboard) side of Valor and had great views coming into St. Lucia and St. Kitts. We got up at 5:30AM the morning we arrived in St. Lucia and were able to see the Pitons. We got up at 6:00AM the morning we arrived in St. Kitts and had great views of Nevis, then St. Kitts. If we'd have gotten up a half hour earlier, we probably would have been able to see Montserrat and the small island of Redonda before Nevis. I only knew about those two because I read a review where they had some great pictures of those two as well, so I was kind of kicking myself for not getting up earlier. Next time I'll be sure to. It was also nice late at night to see islands lit up as we passed. You should be passing St. Thomas around midnight on the last night before arrival back in San Juan. I hope you get that balcony and hope you have a wonderful cruise on Valor. It was one of our favorite cruises.

As a solo cruiser (and I too am one), stick with your original plan. Save the breezes, watching stars, room service etc till there's a WE cruising. Most people are pushing balcony, because they aren't solo. I'm not denying balconies are great, but I think it's a waste of money when you go solo, unless it's something you really really want.[/QUOT

Sorry, you are wrong. I, too, am a solo cruiser. This is the right itinerary to get a balcony. The views and photo opportunities are worth the extra money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm another who will say "go for the balcony". Yes, as others have said, it's a port heavy itinerary, but one of the most scenic. I really enjoyed sitting on the balcony enjoying coffee in the morning when sailing into the islands and was able to get some pretty decent pictures. We had a balcony on the right (starboard) side of Valor and had great views coming into St. Lucia and St. Kitts. We got up at 5:30AM the morning we arrived in St. Lucia and were able to see the Pitons. We got up at 6:00AM the morning we arrived in St. Kitts and had great views of Nevis, then St. Kitts. If we'd have gotten up a half hour earlier, we probably would have been able to see Montserrat and the small island of Redonda before Nevis. I only knew about those two because I read a review where they had some great pictures of those two as well, so I was kind of kicking myself for not getting up earlier. Next time I'll be sure to. It was also nice late at night to see islands lit up as we passed. You should be passing St. Thomas around midnight on the last night before arrival back in San Juan. I hope you get that balcony and hope you have a wonderful cruise on Valor. It was one of our favorite cruises.

Steelers fan. I was on the valor in June. Before I sailed I read your review of your earlier trip on the Valor. I must say that I have read thousands of reviews on Cruise Critic and other websites, and your review of your Southern Caribbean cruise on the Valor last year was the most thorough, well written, and enjoyable review I have ever read. And, oh, your photography was unbelievable.

That having been said, I am from Maryland and an avid Ravens fan.

As a solo cruiser (and I too am one), stick with your original plan. Save the breezes, watching stars, room service etc till there's a WE cruising. Most people are pushing balcony, because they aren't solo. I'm not denying balconies are great, but I think it's a waste of money when you go solo, unless it's something you really really want.[/QUOT

Sorry, you are wrong. I, too, am a solo cruiser. This is the right itinerary to get a balcony. The views and photo opportunities are worth the extra money.

I still love a balcony, but I base some of my thoughts on port entry times. I prefer to get entry pictures from an open area in the bow area where you can see all the scenery, not just one side. I'm a huge lover of taking pictures. I'd not be pleased to be on a balcony facing the water while in port.

As for the rest of the time, I'd rather be on deck somewhere with people, not sitting alone on a balcony with no one to share things with.

Steelers fan. I was on the valor in June. Before I sailed I read your review of your earlier trip on the Valor. I must say that I have read thousands of reviews on Cruise Critic and other websites, and your review of your Southern Caribbean cruise on the Valor last year was the most thorough, well written, and enjoyable review I have ever read. And, oh, your photography was unbelievable.

That having been said, I am from Maryland and an avid Ravens fan.

poppadevan, thank you! I definitely took a lot (a ton) of pictures on this cruise...that scenery is just awesome! What did you think from your cruise? I hope you had as good a time as we did. I definitely want to do the same cruise again. You're in MD? What part? We actually live in VA, have both worked in MD (northern part, Manassas area) but are originally from the Pittsburgh area. DH is working in MD and I did too for several years. I know the Steeler/Ravens have that big rivalry, but from the mouth of a Steeler fan, the Ravens played a much better game last week and deserved to win that game. As for the Steelers this year, it doesn't look too promising but we've gotta take the bad with the good. :)

sunbird21...so glad you booked that balcony and were able to get starboard!!! I don't think you'll be disappointed. :) I saw another comment about facing the water while in port. We were starboard and if I get the opportunity to cruise the southern Caribbean out of San Juan again, I would not hesitate to book starboard again. If I didn't like the view from our balcony while in port, I just went up to Panorama Deck 10 before and after breakfast for those views and pictures. We weren't in the cabin a lot, but when we were, it was mostly on the balcony.

Edited by pghsteelerfan
grammar...oops.

Thanks to all who have been pro balcony!!!!( even the anti ones... I do see your reasoning for the port intensive cons) I know I won't be in the room 100% but as I said before, I will enjoy the mornings, the views, and the occasional quiet moments on it. I would also like to be able to leave the door open and listen to the ocean at night- is this possible with these doors?

Ruthless, I do plan on spending time on deck as well, but the thing I like about solo travel is that you have time to yourself and time that you experience things with others. Again, I don't feel that I need to have a sig other to justify enjoying a balcony. I'm capable of eating, drinking, reading myself on it and enjoying it.

Steelersfan, yours was one of the reviews I read as well as enjoyed it!!! I do admit I'm originally from Cleveland though, so.....

Do it! Once you go balcony.... you'll never go back!!!

Bob

YMMV. for us, not true.....we've gone balcony and done inside. While balcony was nice, it just didn't seem to have the draw for the coin. For as little time as we are in the cabin, we've chosen inside, and used the not inconsequential savings elsewhere.

I'll agree that a balcony experience is wonderful, especially the breakfast on one's small sliver of semi privacy...and to be enjoyed. Been there, did that, got the t-shirt. Again, YMMV.

Edited by Fishtales6

Thanks to all who have been pro balcony!!!!( even the anti ones... I do see your reasoning for the port intensive cons) I know I won't be in the room 100% but as I said before, I will enjoy the mornings, the views, and the occasional quiet moments on it. I would also like to be able to leave the door open and listen to the ocean at night- is this possible with these doors?

Ruthless, I do plan on spending time on deck as well, but the thing I like about solo travel is that you have time to yourself and time that you experience things with others. Again, I don't feel that I need to have a sig other to justify enjoying a balcony. I'm capable of eating, drinking, reading myself on it and enjoying it.

Steelersfan, yours was one of the reviews I read as well as enjoyed it!!! I do admit I'm originally from Cleveland though, so.....

Thanks, and again, so glad you went for the balcony - this is definitely the itinerary for it. Thanks about my review and hope it helped you in some way. The help and ideas I got from others on CC really helped us get the most out of our Valor cruise. Out of our football division, it looks this thread is missing a Bengals fan. :) Again, I hope you have a great cruise on Valor and great weather.