Solo gathering on the Breakaway

scarlett123

My first time traveling solo (booked a spa cabin) and interested in going to the lounge every evening to meet other solo and singles at the gathering. Not sure how signing up for specialty restaurant and booking shows with other solo/singles work..Do you have to book well in advance? Please could someone explain to me how this work.

Thank in advance

Hello, I would do the following:

Leave the time open for the solo gathering and do not book any early (7pm) shows. For example, when I do the Cirque Shows (I liked the Epic one better) I booked for the last night. In fact I lucked out and by then knew people going the same time. Also, did the early Cirque Show (5 something) the last night, and then had a normal dinner afterwards.

Also, be assertive and write on the board if you are going to a particular show or meal. (Going again 10/19 on the ship).

I would focus early on the ship meeting people, and fill in the shows speciality restaurants etc.. later

Also, I did the Bermuda triangle night excursion and not only was it fun, I met non solos as well

Also, make sure to join the Roll Call for your cruise by finding it's thread here on Cruise Critic and making a post. Many groups arrange activities like sail-away parties or dinners, and they typically ask for a Meet and Greet reception. It gives you folks to "meet" before the cruise. Some will usually be solo too!

I really enjoyed Breakaway. I booked a studio cabin (last minute and great rate) and attended several of the evening solo gatherings. Jovan was the staff member who hosted the group and he is terrific. The evening get-togethers are very informal and attendees were all ages, from 19 to 70+. There is a bartender - I can't remember his name right now but he is very nice and pours a "healthy" adult beverage 😉😉😉! There's a white board in the lounge where people can sign up to meet for dinner, shows, etc. Jovian made reservations for a group of us to attend the Cirque show one evening - I don't know if he pulled some strings, but we had great seats!

I usually travel solo and usually don't attend the solo gatherings, but I'm off on Getaway next weekend and plan to attend. It's a great way to meet people and a nice way to ease into the evening's activities. Enjoy!

Liz

• 4 weeks later...

from what I understand Jovan is no longer with NCL and Sheila has taken over as the host in the studio lounge.

Jovan did a really good job and I hope Sheila is good too.

Has anyone had the chance to meet her?

scrim aka mike

Just returned! Shelia was fantastic! She involved the group and did nice activities for us. Was my birthday yesterday and she had cake etc... delivered to our table. Of the 3 studio hosts, she was the best.

Also, I was able to get in the studio area through deck 11 (I was in 11172 and there is an entrance around 11150 or so)

Please note if you do land a last minute upgrade you can still attend the gatherings and I was able to easliy get in the AM for coffee/OJ etc.

• 9 months later...
How do you book a solo cabin last minute? Aren't they all sold out weeks ahead?

Go to the NCL website. Go ALL THE WAY THROUGH the booking process until you get to the point where you choose your specific cabin. That will show you the true solo price. At the moment, for example, you can get a balcony cabin as a solo on the Norwegian Getaway's Aug 29-Sept 5 sailing for $799. I expect that the September 5-12 sailing will go down in price comparably about a week from now, and I have my eye on that one for myself.