Loop Holes in Early Saver

bender031177

Who says I went by just the OP? I've read more than enough on here to see that the answer at Carnival really depends on who you get on the phone that day.

Regardless, take any topic you want, the average Carnival rep knows more than the average CC poster. Customers jump in deep waters with little clue and end up over their head and blame Carnival. I've done it when I started. I blamed myself, not Carnival. Rinse, lather and repeat on whatever topic you want.

Carnival never (ok, very rarely) gets to respond here. It's all a 1 sided story. We have no idea what was actually said. Angry people have a difficult time listening, they only want to be heard.

Every issue I've ever had whether it's on the phone or in person on the ship has been eventually handled well by Carnival. It may take a little while to get there but we get there.

Carnival does sometimes "suspend" their policies and gives in to the customer. You know, the customer is never wrong, blah blah blah, regardless if the customer had no clue.

And an equal (if not greater) amount of very judgemental, CC veterans who seem to know it all and make a yahoo like me completely turned off to the value of this forum.

Happy sailing to you!

A "clueless poster"

Tune out those posters you are not fond of (perhaps tune me out :D you'll have to get in line) and tune in those you trust. A little bit of reading and time is all it takes and you'll find a lot of value.

Edited by fuddrules

Carnival responded to my claim in less than an hour. We even got 50.00 OBC that I was not expecting. What an unexpected blessing. I am one very happy cruiser!

Woot! My price drop was only $30 last week. :o

Edited by fuddrules

Regardless, take any topic you want, the average Carnival rep knows more than the average CC poster. Customers jump in deep waters with little clue and end up over their head and blame Carnival. I've done it when I started. I blamed myself, not Carnival. Rinse, lather and repeat on whatever topic you want.

Carnival never (ok, very rarely) gets to respond here. It's all a 1 sided story. We have no idea what was actually said. Angry people have a difficult time listening, they only want to be heard.

Every issue I've ever had whether it's on the phone or in person on the ship has been eventually handled well by Carnival. It may take a little while to get there but we get there.

Carnival does sometimes "suspend" their policies and gives in to the customer. You know, the customer is never wrong, blah blah blah, regardless if the customer had no clue.

I never said the average customer knows more than the average Carnival rep. I said the average Carnival rep seems to know little. ;)

Case in point, I had to call one of my favorite companies with a client. Needed to correct something for her. We asked a question and I just knew the woman at the company was making stuff up. She didn't have a clue what the right answer was. I didn't either, but I knew enough and by her voice could tell she was just BSing her way through. Fortunately for everyone she did get the right answer while we were talking.

I guarantee you many questions at Carnival go much the same. If you ask them a question outside the norm, they don't know. Now the question is, is the person smart enough to say I don't know and find the answer? Or will they give an answer they think will make the problem go away?

I never said the average customer knows more than the average Carnival rep. I said the average Carnival rep seems to know little. ;)

I guarantee you many questions at Carnival go much the same.

And I've found just the opposite. Most of them know a lot.

I book all my cruises on my own. I've talked with them quite often. Most of them are very good. A few aren't, one even hung up on me....can you imagine :mad: :D

So that guarantee you offer seems follow your perception of Carnival :p

Edited by fuddrules

It really comes down to what kind of consumer you are, in my opinion.

I like to know what I'm buying if I'm spending a significant amount of money. That means reading the fine print/terms and conditions. Which is probably why ES has always been a great deal for me. I've had at least 2 price drops on every cruise I've booked with Carnival. (Sometimes it amounts to $50 OBC, sometimes $200)

Sometimes ES just isn't going to be a fit for some people for whatever reason. If that's the case...don't book it. There are other rate options available.

I think im missing something here . I understand the part about you cant price match to a GRTY rate but what Carnival is doing ( just did to me ) is a different issue . So I booked at ES rate . I went online and did a mock booking where I selected my own cabin and it was 100 bucks cheaper . I was denied by email AND a call in because the rate online was not ES . I have no idea what any of this means so to say some people dont understand is a bit of an understatement .

We booked on the Glory for Jan. 10th under early saver last January and noticed that Carnival had a major price drop from $759 to $509. I called to take advantage but they tried to deny me because that rate was only for new bookings.

I argued my point and they gave in. I did loose my pre selected room, which I was a little bummed about, but it was worth it for $500 in savings.

It seems to me that Carnival is coming up with new ways all the time to not honor the Early Saver price drop guarantee. I went through the same argument last year when they had a pack and go rate.

The spirit of the Early Saver program was to make sure that no one was going to cruise for less then me, for the same room category. If I am willing to accept the terms of the new promotion (no room selection) I should be offered the rate.

Agree?

Nope, disagree. It's obvious that the promotion was for a GTY which is NOT the same category you were in. Therefore you brow beat someone into giving you a reduction for which you were not authorized. I wish someone over at Carnival would get a backbone and stand up against giving customers what they are not authorized to get.

I would first make sure the rate you have is ES. You can find this in the GUEST NOTES section of your confirmation email. Make sure you are not comparing to a GTY rate; but if you can select the cabin, it wouldn't be. If both of these are correct, call back and have them explain why it isn't allowed to be price matched. Ask for a supervisor if not explained well enough.

One time it took me 45 minutes to get the price drop. The problem was the Carnival rep didn't have my booking setup on their system. So the rate was only showing as a GTY. When we got that resolved, it went right through.

Good luck

You're still not getting it.

Early Saver = Choose your cabin.

GTY = Carnival chooses your cabin.

What is the price protection assurance feature with Early Saver?

If you find a lower Carnival advertised fare after booking your cruise, we will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: (a) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests (b) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate and © a rate the guest in the cabin are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply.

Early Saver guests are not eligible to be protected on the following programs: Super Saver, Instant Saver or any other program that does not allow cabin selection at the time of booking. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

So, yeah, you could cancel and lose $50pp and rebook at the lower rate.

Or you can have a hissy fit and get Carnival to give you the lesser rate.

Bingo! :)

Some people just work the system. And get away with it. Working the loop holes.

This happens as we all know in other systems. Some of us wouldn't even consider doing such because this causes break down. Eventually, no more early saver for those who except the rules of the program.

I'm sure if there is another price drop between now and January they will be calling again expecting ES price protection. That's how they roll..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thing is, it's not working a loophole. It's either brow beating the CSR on the line or constantly calling another one until you find one inexperienced enough or tired of listening enough that gives you something you're not supposed to get.

Thing is, it's not working a loophole. It's either brow beating the CSR on the line or constantly calling another one until you find one inexperienced enough or tired of listening enough that gives you something you're not supposed to get.

While I do feel sorry for the CSRs, I suspect this is a problem of Carnival's own making.

Have the number of last minute sales for GTY cabins increased? If so, only two reasons in my opinion. 1) To avoid having to price match for ES bookings. 2) They are busy trying to upgrade numerous people out of that category into a higher category and aren't sure what they will end up with.

I really don't get the issue here.

ES is very clear on terms. If you want to plan out ahead, and then have the protection of the very same category and room choice you can have price match if price goes lower. Like comparing a organic roma tomato to a organic roma tomato not an orange.

It is technically refundable except for $50 unless you never plan to cruise again. Yes it is non refundable in that you can't have your money back, but the fact that you can book and only lose $50 if something happens and you have to cancel is remarkable. You don't even need insurance for that with ES.

I don't see Guarantee as a way to work us out of price adjustments. Gty is more for flexible travelers and ES is more for us planners.

ES lets us lock in the cheapest price for our particular cabin at the time, but lets us get a price adjustment if we are still not doing those flexible options. It's really no different then a retail store such as Best Buy selling you a product and the price goes down during the week. They will give you an adjustment for that item only. Not a similar item.

If you see a significant price change after you've paid in full and you want to go ahead an take advantage, you cancel your ES booking and book the cheaper fare (I would do it over the phone so that you just apply the funds to the new booking).

I would never risk making flights and hotels 9 months out and hope I get on the ship with the cheaper rate closer to sail date otherwise you may lose out on your flight.

Again, it is basically a flexible rate or a rate that lets you plan.

Everything is quite clear when you book. This was the first time I booked myself (used travel agent for Charter cruises before) and even I understood.

If you are unsure of your rate, you check your notes on your booking. You do that before you call Carnival and make a fuss about something you did wrong.

You never go by what an agent says over the phone...people are human! You always go by what is in writing...thought everyone knew that.

Now to OP & others with similar mindset, glad Carnival took care of you as a customer, but I too wish they would just stick to their rules. Maybe more people would learn. The customer is NOT always right.

** no I do not work for Carnival but I do work in accounting and get tired of people not paying attention to basic details and rules.

I think im missing something here . I understand the part about you cant price match to a GRTY rate but what Carnival is doing ( just did to me ) is a different issue . So I booked at ES rate . I went online and did a mock booking where I selected my own cabin and it was 100 bucks cheaper . I was denied by email AND a call in because the rate online was not ES . I have no idea what any of this means so to say some people dont understand is a bit of an understatement .

I'm going to be away from the computer for a bit but I'm will to help you walk through finding the lowest rate and filling out the form if you like.

1st though, if you can't find your originally booking information, please call them and find out what rate you are booked under. It must be early saver. Make sure you confirm this as without ES you can't use the form.

When is your final payment BTW?

First you need to make sure you are matching the exact cabin category. Not just the type. So for example if you have a 8B cabin, you need to see if there are still open and unbooked 8Bs left on your sailing. And also remember the capacity must match. So if you have a double 8B booked and you go online and see another double 8B open and the price is lower, you are entitled to that difference. You can price match any rate other than a guarantee. Are you sure you booked ES? Is it still before final payment date?

I really don't get the issue here.

ES is very clear on terms. If you want to plan out ahead, and then have the protection of the very same category and room choice you can have price match if price goes lower. Like comparing a organic roma tomato to a organic roma tomato not an orange.

It is technically refundable except for $50 unless you never plan to cruise again. Yes it is non refundable in that you can't have your money back, but the fact that you can book and only lose $50 if something happens and you have to cancel is remarkable. You don't even need insurance for that with ES.

I don't see Guarantee as a way to work us out of price adjustments. Gty is more for flexible travelers and ES is more for us planners.

ES lets us lock in the cheapest price for our particular cabin at the time, but lets us get a price adjustment if we are still not doing those flexible options. It's really no different then a retail store such as Best Buy selling you a product and the price goes down during the week. They will give you an adjustment for that item only. Not a similar item.

If you see a significant price change after you've paid in full and you want to go ahead an take advantage, you cancel your ES booking and book the cheaper fare (I would do it over the phone so that you just apply the funds to the new booking).

I would never risk making flights and hotels 9 months out and hope I get on the ship with the cheaper rate closer to sail date otherwise you may lose out on your flight.

Again, it is basically a flexible rate or a rate that lets you plan.

Everything is quite clear when you book. This was the first time I booked myself (used travel agent for Charter cruises before) and even I understood.

If you are unsure of your rate, you check your notes on your booking. You do that before you call Carnival and make a fuss about something you did wrong.

You never go by what an agent says over the phone...people are human! You always go by what is in writing...thought everyone knew that.

Now to OP & others with similar mindset, glad Carnival took care of you as a customer, but I too wish they would just stick to their rules. Maybe more people would learn. The customer is NOT always right.

** no I do not work for Carnival but I do work in accounting and get tired of people not paying attention to basic details and rules.

You can apply for price drops without having to cancel your booking. You can also change your rate type without having to cancel. You can also apply for price drops up to the final payment dates with almost all other rates. Not just ES.

ES gives you a credit less $50 if you do have to cancel for some reason. Other rates, such as past guest, will give you a full refund and no $50 penalty. So ES does have some unattractive restrictions.

I totally disagree that you should never go by what customer service reps say over the phone. That's ridiculous. 99% of the time they've given me good, reliable information that coincided with the written terms. If an agent gets it wrong, that doesn't mean you shouldn't listen none of them ever. They are human, yes. But they are also supposed to be trained to give clear, concise information. And most of the time you get just that.

First you need to make sure you are matching the exact cabin category. Not just the type. So for example if you have a 8B cabin, you need to see if there are still open and unbooked 8Bs left on your sailing. And also remember the capacity must match. So if you have a double 8B booked and you go online and see another double 8B open and the price is lower, you are entitled to that difference. You can price match any rate other than a guarantee. Are you sure you booked ES? Is it still before final payment date?

It was the cabin right next door the one i have booked but final payment has passed and the rep confirmed I booked ES . I guess it has something to do with the fact final payment had passed ? But if thats the case why did she tell me i could rebook a GRTY and i would get 179 onboard credit?

Edited by JustFloatN

I fully understood that I would lose my chosen cabin and was willing to accept that - but Carnival wasn't willing to give me the new rate until I escalated to a supervisor.

The issue I take with this is that I could have booked under a regular rate and had a refundable deposit, allowing me to cancel at any time before final payment and rebook under any rate without penalty. But today, the first PVP I spoke to absolutely refused to change me from ES to this new GTY rate (with my full acknowledgement that I would lose my assigned room) and even the supervisor had to put me on hold for a good long time before she was able to make it happen.

If I hadn't been booked under ES, I could have easily cancelled and rebooked under this new promotion but my deposit is non-refundable which is generally acceptable because we are told we will have access to price drops...except if it is a special promotion, or a ______(fill in the blank).

Not looking for special treatment, just access to the best rate if I am willing to pay out a $250pp deposit a year in advance of the cruise.

Except that you are looking for and to your advantage got special treatment. What part of you are not allowed to price match to a GTY cabin when you book ES do you not understand? I suppose you'll be back here crying foul when there's another price drop for the category you booked, and they don't honor it again.

I'm curious. Why is every jumping the OP for a problem of Carnival's making.

They offer ES with a price guarantee to get bookings well in advance. Both to help keep rates up and to collect deposits well in advance of sailing.

Then Carnival turns around and offers numerous low rates closer to actual sailing, but they make sure to tweak the rates just enough so that people on an ES rate won't qualify for price protection.

This isn't the fault of the OP or anyone else, it is Carnival. They knew exactly what they were doing. They are advertising ES with price protection, sticking some loop holes in it and then making sure all the lower rates later on qualify for the loop holes. It may be legal, but it definitely isn't ethical or even smart business.

An angry customer is always louder and talks for far longer than a happy one. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is the death of ES, but it certainly isn't helping the program or Carnival's image. For every person on here complaining about ES, there are probably ten more complaining to their friends.

The whole point of Early Saver is to lock people in, get their deposits early, make them non-refundable and get cabins booked at higher rates when the cruise is first released. But instead, Carnival seems to want their cake and eat it too. They want people to book ES under the promise of price protection, but they don't want to actually give back the money when they have to drop rates to fill the ship. So they instead only advertise guarantee rates and claim price protection no longer applies.

This is not a problem of "Carnival's making." Carnival is in the business of making money. Plenty of people get their rates lowered with ES bookings. I know I did. Booked in February, got price drops right up to 10 days or so before my mid-July sailing, when the ship sold out.

I'm curious. Why is every jumping the OP for a problem of Carnival's making.

They offer ES with a price guarantee to get bookings well in advance. Both to help keep rates up and to collect deposits well in advance of sailing.

Then Carnival turns around and offers numerous low rates closer to actual sailing, but they make sure to tweak the rates just enough so that people on an ES rate won't qualify for price protection.

This isn't the fault of the OP or anyone else, it is Carnival. They knew exactly what they were doing. They are advertising ES with price protection, sticking some loop holes in it and then making sure all the lower rates later on qualify for the loop holes. It may be legal, but it definitely isn't ethical or even smart business.

An angry customer is always louder and talks for far longer than a happy one. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is the death of ES, but it certainly isn't helping the program or Carnival's image. For every person on here complaining about ES, there are probably ten more complaining to their friends.

The whole point of Early Saver is to lock people in, get their deposits early, make them non-refundable and get cabins booked at higher rates when the cruise is first released. But instead, Carnival seems to want their cake and eat it too. They want people to book ES under the promise of price protection, but they don't want to actually give back the money when they have to drop rates to fill the ship. So they instead only advertise guarantee rates and claim price protection no longer applies.

I totally agree with this !! I know SOME cruises have price drops and ES folks get to take advantage of the lowered pieces, but om my last few cruises my ES has been worthless - any price drops have ONLY been for guaranteed cabins, so I am not eligible for any $

I think it depends on the popularity of your particular cruise, but I am strongly considering booking Military rate on my next cruise ( which is the same amount as ES without any restrictions )

I will watch for price drops, and after final will figure I am done, and quit looking .

It was the cabin right next door the one i have booked but final payment has passed and the rep confirmed I booked ES . I guess it has something to do with the fact final payment had passed ? But if thats the case why did she tell me i could rebook a GRTY and i would get 179 onboard credit?

No with ES you are entitled to price drops up to 2 days before sailing. So either the rep is way off or the cabin next to yours is in a different category. No way of knowing for sure without more specifics that you may not want to tell ob here. But the date and cabin category would be helpful.

ES does work at times. Four weeks ago I booked us on the 1/25/15 sailing of the Freedom right before ES had ended. I selected a 4H @ 559 since the promotion was good for any cabin between 4A and 4H for the same price. On 9/8, it dropped to 479 and this week to 409, plus the 50 in OBC for the cabin as a bonus. So in less than a month, we have saved 300 off of our final payment as well as earning 50 in OBC. If we get any more drops, I do realize that we would lose the 50 in OBC.