QM2 Dry Dock

Gazroberts80

The QE tv's are an improvement but I don't think they are plasmas.

David.

I can't confirm if they are or not but the Video Cunard posted on YouTube about the refit said they were plasmas. Regardless of what they are, larger, flater, wall mounted TV's are definitely good news :)

I can't confirm if they are or not but the Video Cunard posted on YouTube about the refit said they were plasmas. Regardless of what they are, larger, flater, wall mounted TV's are definitely good news :)

Agreed.

David

You make a good point!

Although sometimes I do question the extent to which the aussie media 'pumps up' the ship.. For one they always seem to mention how it will set you back like 30g for a trip, Completely ignoring that you can get onboard in Aus for a little as $500 for some small aussie sectors. Lol.

I prefer the masses to feel a Cunard experience is beyond their means. Last thing I want to see on a Cunard ship is a 'Mr Sexy Legs' competition, a pie eating contest, or a water slide and the hordes of families that would inevitably follow.

My recent experience on board the Bogan Princess (aka Dawn Princess) left me hankering for QM2 or QE and the real cruisers who sail on them (I should clarify that the ship was fine, but it was packed with cashed up bogans. One lady expressed her interest in QM2 and said - very Kath and Kim like - that it was a 'classy ship', spoken as 'clasee shiep').

Austcruiser84--

For benefit of those of us who are from the U.S., could you provide edification as to what/who are "Bogans"? They are apparently people one would not want to associate with on a cruise. ;)

Maina,

Here's how Wikipedia defines "bogan."

The term bogan is Australian and New Zealand slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for a person with an unsophisticated background, or whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplify a lack of manners and education.

I hasten to add that in my experience, bogans can be found in all social classes.

Edited by Thaxted

Now what would be wrong with the addition of a water slide.

I think it could attract a few more of those Bogans you speak of.

And high profits for Cunard (Carnival Corp).

You might ask me why I think this.

Well, as I have posted before, the slide could end in the ship's wake. That way, once a Bogan family utilizes the slide for "fun". Their cabin could then be re-rented to the next port's Bogan family. Thus more port fees could be collected, more cabin rentals made, not to mention the monies that could be garnered from auctioning off the belongings of the Bogan that used the slide. And the Grills passengers could engage in a bit of wagering on which bogan would make a bigger splash in the wake after their fun filled slide.

A win win in my book. Please correct me if I have gone into the nether realms.

Austcruiser84--

For benefit of those of us who are from the U.S., could you provide edification as to what/who are "Bogans"? They are apparently people one would not want to associate with on a cruise. ;)

White trash to you, chavs to us.

David.

• 2 months later...

Have they tossed those hideous over used/outdated Britannia stateroom couches over board and placed a nice big flat screen on the walls of the staterooms yet!?! :p

Victoria is currently in dry dock, looks like Mary will be the only one left without the new TV's shortly. Seems strange for the flagship to be behind the rest when it comes to new Cunard trends..

Have they tossed those hideous over used/outdated Britannia stateroom couches over board and placed a nice big flat screen on the walls of the staterooms yet!?! :p

Victoria is currently in dry dock, looks like Mary will be the only one left without the new TV's shortly. Seems strange for the flagship to be behind the rest when it comes to new Cunard trends..

I recall a few years ago there was similar angst when QM2 was said to behind the times in replacing the box type TV with a flat screen type. I'm not convinced I understand the difference a replacement TV would make, it will save space being on the wall, but otherwise?

M-AR

I recall a few years ago there was similar angst when QM2 was said to behind the times in replacing the box type TV with a flat screen type. I'm not convinced I understand the difference a replacement TV would make, it will save space being on the wall, but otherwise?

M-AR

Yes that's right, the QM2 was behind re the original TV change overs!

Naturally it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I guess it is just part of moving forward and keeping the line up to date with many of the newer ships that are now featuring very large flat screen TV's on the walls of the staterooms. It's not just any old ship or one of many, it's the 'QM2' after all, and Cunard talk it up more than anyone, so I would expect her to not have anything less than what you get with the QV/QE. I've said this before, but the TV's could be fitted without dry docking obviously.

Yes that's right, the QM2 was behind re the original TV change overs!

Naturally it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I guess it is just part of moving forward and keeping the line up to date with many of the newer ships that are now featuring very large flat screen TV's on the walls of the staterooms. It's not just any old ship or one of many, it's the 'QM2' after all, and Cunard talk it up more than anyone, so I would expect her to not have anything less than what you get with the QV/QE. I've said this before, but the TV's could be fitted without dry docking obviously.

Yup ! We were onboard a cruise ship when all TV's were replaced during the cruise , no dry/wet dock needed .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Personally, I would rather have a smaller TV with a good picture placed opposite the sofa than a large wall-mounted flat screen TV with a poor picture where you have to crane your neck to watch it from the sofa (as it was for us on the QE last month).

Personally, I would rather have a smaller TV with a good picture placed opposite the sofa than a large wall-mounted flat screen TV with a poor picture where you have to crane your neck to watch it from the sofa (as it was for us on the QE last month).

Is the picture quality poor!? I had no idea.

Although I prefer the position opposite the bed as I don't think thise couches are comfy to sit on

I am surprised that they are waiting that long for the refit (Dec 2016). We were on the Dec 15 crossing, and aside from the many obvious problems mentioned in this and other threads, we noticed a glaring problem in our cabin. We were in PG for this crossing, and on a particularly windy day, as I stepped out onto the balcony my wife brought to my attention that the ceiling over the head of the bed separated from the wall, and raised up about 10" from the wall. the whole ceiling along that wall was separated from the wall, from a thin separation at the edges of the wall to the opening mentioned above. We mentioned this to our cabin steward and a maintenance man changing some of our light bulbs. Don't know if anything was done, as the wind abated after that, and we never noticed it again.

As someone else mentioned, our balcony metal was more rust colored, that white. Needs work, stem to stern.

Having travelled on all 3 Queens in the last 9 months, I definitely believe that Mary was most in need of refit. Some areas are perfect but there are a few areas in need of attention.

Victoria really didn't look in the slightest need of refit, whether it was in the cabins, public rooms or corridors and externally looked very good. I realise she did need some mechanical work addressing before the world cruise and so needed a dry dock.

I think to all of us who love our ships, Mary will always be the greatest but if you compare the three, there is no comparison in terms of the finish of the cabins, corridors and lifts. Victoria and Elizabeth are immaculate, Mary a little dated in terms of carpets and scruffy mirrors and lift doors. As for the Kings Court well I know people who feel that it is light years behind the Lido on both Elizabeth and Victoria and I'd go as far as saying it's an embarrassment to this most amazing ship. The only thing it died better is the alternative dining.

Don't get me wrong the Britannia, Commodore, Queens Room, Chart Room and Champagne bar are far better on Mary and in great condition. G32 also feels like a proper night club. I'm not buying the argument that Mary is a liner and they are cruise ships. It's not about the size of cabins, the arrangement of public rooms, it's just a question of replacing carpets and surfaces etc.

She is the greatest ship in the world and always my first choice, but I want her to sparkle in every way. I'd honestly go as far as saying that if I wanted to recommend to someone the most luxurious experience on Cunard I'd currently recommend the Baby Queens. Mary as the flagship should have everything thrown at her. I had to be careful with my pictures the other day as didn't want to highlight the hull paintwork. It really is disappointing that this hasn't been rectified for the World cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are booked on QM2 next year on a TA - never been on this ship before so we are really looking forward to it. Then I read the things on here about how tired she is/the sofas/the potholes/the rusty balconies etc etc and I'm wondering if we are doing the right thing.:confused:

We did a TA in june 14 - and loved it. The sofa in our club britannia stateroom was fine, the occasional bit of rust not an issue, the potholes a bit of a mystery until I researched them here (but not a problem for us).

We even liked the food (did admittedly avoid Kings Court as we don't like buffets in general).

It was our first time on a big ship and a significant birthday celebration (and honeymoon as it turned out) and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I think you can safely look forward to your crossing.

We are booked on QM2 next year on a TA - never been on this ship before so we are really looking forward to it. Then I read the things on here about how tired she is/the sofas/the potholes/the rusty balconies etc etc and I'm wondering if we are doing the right thing.:confused:

Being your first time onboard you are going to be amazed by the ship! She may have some wear and tear but honestly, most ships do! But it's never enough to make you think 'I shouldn't have done this'.. As really, so what if there's rusy on your balcony railing or if your sofa is a abit outdated, it's hardly enough to make you wanna jump overboard, but my main argument with this is that Cunard themseleves should have higher standards seeing as they are the ones who market themselves as 'the best & most luxurious etc etc' so why is it that passangers are finding so much rust on their 'deluxe' balconies upon boarding the ship? On any other ship they may not think anything of it but when when you've been feed so much marketing about the 'premium luxury' it's hard to not notice those little things.. And I think we all do have a right to 'complain' because Cunard need to realise if they plan on continuing to market this ship as 'the best' then they need to get ontop of their basic maintance. Im honestly shocked that each ship doesnt get a full clean, repaint and General going over before they depart on their world voyage. The ship itself is an advertisement so you would think Cunard would want it looking it's best when going around the world. She looks dirty from the photos I saw of her this week when she left Southampton! Crossing my fingers she's much cleaner by the time I board her in feb!

My comments to those who have not travelled on QM2 may suggest she's in a bad state. It is I guess being hyper critical it's just it would seem that the little details like the carpet and Kings Court more obviously appear like they would benefit from work than the carpets or Lido on Victoria. Here is my review from summer so you can see it is magnificent and an amazing experience.

http://pictureherethereandeverywhere.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/qm2-transatlantic-back-to-back-crossing.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Except for the hull needing painting, I didn't see any problems this past fall; I was on Fall 13 & Fall 14 and saw no other major differences from all the others times I have been on. In fact, the Chart Room & Golden Lion are better than their original incarnations. Still pretty perfect, to me.

By the way - there are beautiful fresh flowers everywhere on the ship. something you won't normally see on mass market cruise ships. If you like the flowers, sign up for the flower arranging class. It was one of the most fun activities I have done on board. The instructor is great, you get to decorate your cabin with the beautiful arrangements, and it's an activity most people would not have time to do in "non-Cunard" (meaning normal, everyday) life