Grand Lucayan

clayzdad

Anyone done the day pass at the Grand Lucayan? I think from what I read on their site it's only $15pp. Does anyone know what kind of activities they have and what you can do there? Also is there any shopping close by?

Would love to know more about the resort activities as well.

We have never done a day pass at Grand Lucayan before but we have been to

Port Lucaya Marketplace and it is across the street.

Just talked with some family who did this last week! They said that the price included the use of their pools and beach and it was beautiful!!!! So that's what we are planning to do in two weeks!! Hope this helps! Oh and they also said that the pool had a swim up bar and it was an infinity pool :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've stayed at the Grand Lucayan and we will be going back for two nights in October. They have three pools. All but one is an infinity pool. The one on the east end is the quietest but has no bar. They don't have too many activities from the hotel, they use another company that bases themselves on the beach. They are not affiliated with the hotel (jet skis, parasailing, etc).

We've stayed at the Grand Lucayan and we will be going back for two nights in October. They have three pools. All but one is an infinity pool. The one on the east end is the quietest but has no bar. They don't have too many activities from the hotel, they use another company that bases themselves on the beach. They are not affiliated with the hotel (jet skis, parasailing, etc).

Thanks for the info! The resort looks stunning.

We are planning to get a day pass when we visit in December.

clayzdad, oh you HIT my button, when you said jewelry.:)

So are you saying in Freeport, at the marketplace, they have jewelry that you can "bargain" for? I love to bargain, and have got some good deals in the past.

Freeport and Nassau both....never pay the asking price. They want the US dollar. My wife likes silver, two years ago she really wanted a piece which they asked $140 for. She offered $100 and they turned it down initially. We looked around a few more minutes and got ready to leave. The guy came back over and asked if we were still interested. I told him NO unless he would take $85 cash for it. He nodded and said "Let's ring you up sir!" :D

clayzdad, thanks for getting back with me.

I used to only buy gold, but a few years ago, I started doing silver, and have got some nice pieces in the past years.

In Mexico, I was trying to bargain, but they didn't want to see it for what I wanted so I left. The next thing I knew, I was 2 blocks away, and they were coming after me, saying they would take what I offered. Now in the Bahamas, it is probably different.

Earlier this year we cruised. I tried to get some nice silver pieces, but in these places, they told me they "weigh" the silver by the ounce, and that is how they come up with their price. Now these places were not in any free stands/market places, but in small stores.

In Nassau and Freeport, are you talking about getting this jewelry in stores, or free stands/market places, etc.?

The instance I was referring to was in a store. Just in town. I am not sure what the name of it was. They actually weighed this piece too that my wife ended up getting.

Another short story is from 2007 when we visited Jamaica. We were in a jewelry story (and a very nice one) at one of their shopping centers when one of the salesmen tried to get me to buy a silver wedding band. I already had one but he kept on. I declined many times. He started at $400. Again I told him not interested. Well 15 minutes later, he asked again. I told him to let me see it. I inspected it, It was pretty heavy and it was Benchmark jewelry. Taking a stab I offered him $200 cash. He accepted it. They resized it and it fit perfect. Well shortly after that cruise we went by our local jewelry store to get my wife's watch battery replaced and I let the jeweler inspect the ring I purchased for $200. He looked at it, weighed it and asked how much I paid for it. I told him the truth and got worried. He looked at me and grinned and said "Wow, that is a deal, I will give you $875 for it as it is now" So not so bad of a deal after all.

Clayzdad, well that is a little different than in Mexico, of what happened to you. When they told me a price, and then weighed it, they would not come down on the price, so we'll see what happens in the Bahamas.

You brought something to my mind. Several years ago in the Caribbean, I found a beautiful diamond ring. The diamonds really look too big to be real, and thay may not:( be. The asking price was $5,000, but I got them to go $2,000. It is beautiful in gold/silver, and is very stunning when looking at it , but I'm "afraid" to have my jeweler look at it, thinking they probably took me for my money. My jeweler Tony told me to bring it in and he would check it out, but I don't want to hear the answer. I would love to hear him tell me what I paid was a good price.

Thanks for the info! The resort looks stunning.

We are planning to get a day pass when we visit in December.

I am going in Dec too on RCL... When are you going? I would love to know what you thought about the Grand Lucayan we are planning on the day pass. The emailed me back and said the pass was $15/pp and a beer is about $5 and a mixed drink is about $6 and lunch would be about $25 ( I hope that's for 2). Also mentioned that they are right across the street from the market and we could go to a resturant there cheaper. Please keep me posted!!!

Can you purchase the day passes at the hotel or do you have to pre-purchase them.

You can buy them on site the day of. Below is the email from the rep from the grand Lucayan :

Good Morning Ms. Flach,

A warm welcome from the Grand Lucayan Resort.

We do offer day passes here at the resort the cost is $15.00 per Adult and $7.00 per child for the use of the pool, beach, beach chairs you will only need to bring your own towels, the cost for a bottle of beer is about $5.00, a mixed drink will be about $6.00 and up also a lunch will be about from $25.00 and up.

Kind Regards

Theresa Demeritte

Agent

Reservations

Grand Lucayan Bahamas

Tel: 242-350-5469

Fax: 242-373-8804

Email: Demeritte.Theresa@grandlucayan.com

http://www.grandlucayan.com

I hope this helps!!