Cruising with grandchildren

sufey

My husband and I would like to take our two grandsons (17 and 14) on the Oasis next summer. This would be their second time cruising and we would like to put them in their own room. They are very responsible kids. RCI says we cannot do that because we are not the parents. Does the cruise line require birth certificates for children if they already have their passports? Any comments?

You and your husband can each take a grandchild in each room for booking purposes. Then on board you can change the room keys at Guest Services. We will be doing that with our kids on our next cruise.

No birth certificate required if you have a passport

Have you done this before? So I should go to guest services and say I want a room key for my husbands room and the grandson wants a key for his brothers room (and no questions will be asked?)

We did this on the Allure last year (not switching with my kids but switching with my parents) and they had no problem switching us around. My parents have a really high C&A status so they got OBC for their room and if we each took one of my parents, we got OBC for both rooms. :) Our travel agent suggested that for us and it worked great.

Have you done this before? So I should go to guest services and say I want a room key for my husbands room and the grandson wants a key for his brothers room (and no questions will be asked?)

It's not a problem at all. We had our 12 and 14 year olds booked in their own room across the hall from us. We just went to guest services and asked for duplicate keys. People do it all the time.

And for the people that think the kids shouldn't be in their own room, they probably are closer to you in their own rooms on the ship than they are at home in their own rooms!

My husband and I would like to take our two grandsons (17 and 14) on the Oasis next summer. This would be their second time cruising and we would like to put them in their own room. They are very responsible kids. RCI says we cannot do that because we are not the parents. Does the cruise line require birth certificates for children if they already have their passports? Any comments?

Also since they are considered "minors" I would be sure to have a signed and notarized letter from the parents giving you permission to take them and make all necessary medical decisions for them.

You may never be asked for the letter, but I would have it just in case.

The solution is connecting cabins....that way, you'll hear them if they get rowdy, and you'll have immediate access. Or, across the hall for kids that age would be fine.

They can certainly be in a room by themselves....it's easy to change who's in which room once you've boarded.