Wine Packages on the Divina

rad798

Looking at the 10 bottle wine packages on the Divina.

The 2 packages I see are:

Code 552- Wine Package "Your Choice -10 Bottles" $212.00

Code 557- Dinner Wine 10 Bottles - Select between 2 red, 1 rose, 2 white $120.00

Does anyone know if the $120.00 package has any choice of a sweet wine (white zinfandel or moscato type) in it? Some in the group will not drink anything dry.

I don't know, but, I had a devil of a time getting white zinfadel on the Divina. Several bars, including the MDR told me they didn't have any. Several of the bar servers and bartenders seemed confused by how the rose wine had the name white in it. One bartender actually pulled out the wine list to show me the white wines didn't include any zinfadel. I showed him the rose list had 2 white zins listed and was pointing at the bottle of Beringer white zin on the shelf behind him , saying you have it, it's right there. :D At the pool bars, I just said Rose and drank what they gave me. The "key code" for the roses on their cash register are 503,504 and 505, if you can get them to punch any of them in, you will be OK. The Cantina de Bacco (sp?) had white zin and a very nice waiter. Halfway through the week, I just switched to Champagne. :eek::D

Yes, we have opted for both packages, and the 10/$120 has a relatively sweet rose. Having sailed MSC five times, we cannot guarantee the same wine will be available when you cruise...but the waiters are very accomodating and eager to please.

We tried the 10 wines for $120 on our February cruise, and were pleased. These are by no means premium wines.

I do not remember names of ones we tried, but one that stuck in mind is the Montepulciano Red:

I found this description online that may help:

The Montepulciano grape is quite prolific. The Montepulciano grape grows easily in Abruzzo. It is plump with high amounts of juice. In an area this poor, this has been a boon to farmers wishing to take advantage of high yields. Unlike most other varietals, this grape makes nice wine even when produced in large quantities. The grape has a deep purple and ruby color to its juice. It has lower acidity (especially for an Italian varietal) and mild sweeter tannins. The resulting wines tend to be softer and more accessible than Chianti or Nebbiolo for example. Accordingly, the young wines are nice pleasurable reds that go as well with food as without it. Almost all of the wines at the low end of the price spectrum (and many can be found for under $8) are enjoyable. At the same time, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo can age brilliantly especially in the hands of the right producers.

You can repeat the same wines as often as you like, you are not imposed the red, white, rose quantities.

Edited by MTL=CRUISEFAMILY