Cruising with baby on the Majesty

Hi folks,

new on here so be nice!

My wife and I have just booked up to go on the Thomson Majesty round the Canaries and Morocco in January with our little one. He'll be seven months old by then so we think he'll be at a good age to take everything in while also quite content at being pushed about and looking at things!

Putting my nightmare of him falling off the edge to one side, has anyone travelled with a wee tot before on a similar ship and can give any tips/advice? He's generally a very content baby so hopefully that continues!

Also my wife and I don't really drink at all, and was wondering if there was a "soft drink" package available. We both figured there must be one for kids, but we'd quite happily go on to that if it means we don't need to fork out money every time we want a can of coke.

thanks in advance!

Scott, Aileen & Ruaridh :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can't advise you much about cruising with your son, but you can be sure that the staff will make a fuss of him, they love having little ones around.

There is no soft drinks package, but the pop isn't too dear, £1.80 for a can or £1.10 for a glass, the orange juice dispenser used at breakfast just outside the cafe royale is usually left on until 11am. Water, tea and coffee are available for free in the buffets all day and night.

You can also take as much drink (alcohol or otherwise) as you want onto the ship for use in your cabin, the tap water is drinkable but I would recommend bottled for baby.

Those little concentrated squeezy bottles of squash are good to take with you if you like squash.

It might be worth asking your Doctor about something to take in case he suffers from seasickness, he may be a great little sailor but you never know...

If your baby is bottle fed don't forget to take enough of your regular fomula milk to last all the trip.

Even if it has the same name as your UK brand, European milks have completely different formulae (e.g. FAR more salt) which can lead to upset stomachs and, in severe cases, dehydration. Sadly this leads to the hospitalisation of many babies every year.

I know that it is a drag having to cart a week or sos supply around with you but far better to be safe than sorry.

Hi, aside from all the practical kitchen sink stuff, you will have a ball!! The staff will adore your son as they love babies! We travelled with ours from one on cruises and although we had a horrendous night crossing from Gib to Casablanca once, our son didn't stir let alone feel sick!

Plan sterilising routine now and whether you will take pre-prepared milk. We took a huge supply for when we got off so we didn't get caught out! Also by then you will be weaning, so jars will need to be managed in the luggage.

It is the best holiday for Mummys and Daddys - and although we haven't been on the Majesty yet, I know you will love her!

Happy planning,

Suzy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering if you would mind letting me know how you found the cruise with your young baby please?

We are thinking of booking a cruise (for all the family) and we have a granddaughter who will be 10 months - Thomson Celebration.

I'm just wondering what the facilities are for a baby and are you allowed to take them into the bar area in the evenings and do they provide high chairs when you go to both the self service and waiter service restaurants please?

Any info you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you x

We first took our daughter (Ocean Village) when she was 11 months (You could e-mail them pre-holiday and they got food on-board. We then took her at 22 months on-board Thomson she made do with what was available (plus what we had managed to get in luggage (bear in mind we have always found lots of shops at the stops which sell similar to UK toddler foods. High seats no problem, believe me she will be spoiled rotten by all the crew. Our daughter is almost 9 now and she has almost grown up with the crew over the years. Enjoy