Warning- Identity Theft Really Does Exist

meisha

As a small business owner just thought I'd let you know it's not the credit card company/bank that takes the hit. If fraud occurs on the account the banks just charge it back to the merchants. So if the merchant takes a bad card they are the ones who eat it. Trust me the credit card companys very rarely lose money. You can see why a lot of internet companys will only send packages to address listed on credit card, cuts back on fraud and their loses. Don't feel sorry for the credit card banks, they get high interest plus around 3% from the merchants. I think the banks should do a lot more about verifying new accounts. They can stop sending all those new offers in the mail, they are annoying and to easy for them to get lost in mail and used by crooks.

Good to know, thanks!

It's midnight, so forgive me if this is a dumb question - why would someone commit credit card fraud, and then have the package delivered to the cardholder's house? How would they retrieve it? I know the OP mentioned that they tried to change the address, but it obviously was unsuccessful. I ask because a similar thing happened to a friend of mine, and I am clueless as to what the thief was thinking

Wasn't a credit card, but a friend of mine had somebody steal her checks, and then use them to pay their utility bills. Thus, conveniently giving the police their address.

Wasn't a credit card, but a friend of mine had somebody steal her checks, and then use them to pay their utility bills. Thus, conveniently giving the police their address.

Boy, that's one for the "stupid criminals" hall of shame!

beachchick

BUT it sure feels like it....just had this happen on our AMEX card 2 weeks ago.....somebody decided they needed more minutes on their T mobile phone and decided they would steal from me.....just so happened I was online checking my activity at the time and couldn't figure out where my available credit had gone...then Tmobile called to verify I had just ordered 100.00 worth of minutes....I said "don't think so"...this person had my name, address, home phone,CC# with expiration and it would have gone through had they not been one digit off on the zip code...AMEX declined it b/c of non matching zips and that gave me time to put a hold/fraud on it....betcha I peeved them off......now both AMEX and Tmobile are doing fraud investigations......get this....Tmobile has the cell phone they charged them to...would have thought this would be a stupid move....guess not....

Personally...if someone has my personal information...it makes me uncomfortable....if they have name, address, and phone...how am I supposed to know if they don't have something else.....

To the OP....I agree with others that you should check your credit reports and put holds on the applying for credit thing...we did it online with Experien and they in turn contacted the other 2 and for 90 days we have a credit hold as well as a watch for new/unusual activity...I also have a new card and replaced some others too...just b/c I didn't know all of what this person had...expecially when the card was in my wallet:eek:

I know this is different from what the fraud issue is but I wish stores would go back to checking your ID when using a credit card to make sure your the person assigned to it. I recently had that happen to me at a Walmart and was actually glad that someone still checked until I went back a week later and that cashier didn't check.

Debbie

during the Wash DC sniper incident..................

at 5AM one morning our doorbell, which plays Winchester Cathedral music, sounds waking us and it is FED EX with a first delivery or the morning envelope for us. I open it & it is 2 new MEX cards, platinum iwth new account numbers, a welcome package included. I do all out credit choices for free airmiles, cruises, etc.

So at 7AM I contact AMEX NYC to learn that the Fraud Dept closed out account the night before & sends us new cards for a new account number. My DH & I just sat listening to the fraud gal telling us that someone attempted to purchase online 12 O/W tix from Antigua to Miami. They had our account number but couldn't answer security questions tied to our account. 5 attempts within 2 hours, so AMEX took control.

Next day they were captured, a stolen laptop was found & the last communication was with AMEX with my CC # on it. AMEX went to court, not us luckily.

When we are headed on a cruise, or to a foreign country for vacation or usiness, we always contact the CC company we will be using to tell them where we are staying, flying, and purchases we may make such as dining but maybe a few nick nacks. So if any major purchses happen, we are turned down.

I was also told years ago to put SEE ID in black ink on my CC. So clerks see ID before allowing the charge. Even gas stations, you must goto clerk to get the purchase, smart pumps!

As far as the 3 credti bureaus, call any one of them & all 3 get the info. You can put a FRAUD ALERT on it via the phone. They will not allow any new credit apps to go out for you. They close all action on your account to outisde companies, os no one can see your account.

My dead MIL gets CC apps still in the mail & she's dead over 10 years. Another funny is my Africian Grey parrot's name was used by my DH on a magazine to see if they sell the names to other companies. Sure enough now he gets name & address stickers, credit apps, magazine subscriptions, etc.

I know this is different from what the fraud issue is but I wish stores would go back to checking your ID when using a credit card to make sure your the person assigned to it. I recently had that happen to me at a Walmart and was actually glad that someone still checked until I went back a week later and that cashier didn't check.

Debbie

As do I. Many times stores don't even check your signature on your card against your receipt unless you ask them too!

I have avoided using debit cards for these reasons...at least with a credit card I get a look see before the cash is gone from my account, plus there are legal protections for the card holder which I think are not there for debit cards (even though the card companies seem to offer the same protection).

As I recall when I did the "free credit" check this year there where several options as to not having personal data sold, so give consideration to opting out.

Sounds like the CCs are doing a good job. These example or not as bad as I would have thought.

I have avoided using debit cards for these reasons...at least with a credit card I get a look see before the cash is gone from my account, plus there are legal protections for the card holder which I think are not there for debit cards (even though the card companies seem to offer the same protection).

As I recall when I did the "free credit" check this year there where several options as to not having personal data sold, so give consideration to opting out.

Sounds like the CCs are doing a good job. These example or not as bad as I would have thought.

When thieves got hold of my fiance's debit card number, they emptied his checking account and then some. He has direct deposit and it was too late to stop the deposit from being made, so his paycheck went into his checking account and brought the balance up to $0. It took the bank almost two weeks to sort it out and give him his money back. It was very frustrating. You are still protected with debit cards, but the process is more complicated because they are spending your money, not using your credit.

Archived