Seriously???? internet minutes are a joke

LdyDDS

I would assume that you'd pay full package price for additional minutes. Normally perks such as the LCV internet minutes "have no cash value". The maths for Discoverer Platinum to the highest internet package is straightforward, but not so for the other levels and would be very messy to work out. You get your free minutes and for anything extra you buy a package at the going rate. I'm ok with that.

Haven't had to upgrade my internet allowance--dare I say it, on Celebrity--in more than eighteen months based upon the duration of my subsequent cruises with them and based upon their addition of Captain's Club membership tiers last November... That said, their practice had been--don't know if it's still true--that one could buy an upgraded internet package at cruise start based upon anticipated use at market rate, that it would be charged in-full to one's SeaPass account, and that--a day or so later--the onboard account would be credited for the value of the Captain's Club internet allowance [again valued at market rate] associated with membership tier... So surely, the accounting process or technology is there; all Azamara would need do is to place a monetary value on Le Club Voyage's 60, 90, and 120 minute allowances that are not already defined [the package thresholds would not need to be adjusted to correspond to the LCV allowances]...

At the end of the day, I'm okay with the change too--it is what it is and I can afford it--if it evolves as you expect... But such practice does serve to erode further the value of the restored benefit by charging more for incrementally purchased minutes that become less--not more--expensive with added usage per Azamara's internet pricing model [which likely are--in any case--marked up handsomely at every purchase tier relative to actual cost]...

If the goal is to discourage guest usage rather than to upgrade the service, it seems to me that Azamara may--for some--have succeeded...

Double points for solo travellers is a fairly major one. The ability to earn free nights for every 750 points accrued once reaching Discover Plus and above sorts out the issue with achievement for the higher levels. I make no comment as regards the terms and conditions, of which there are a few. I will just have to see how that works in practice.

That Azamara has also embraced the concept of Double Cruise Points for solo travelers as both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity did...

And I was initially heartened when I read about the "free night" opportunity at intermediate stops on the long journey between attainment of Discoverer Plus and Discoverer Platinum; it's a very nice addition that get's at an issue that is commonly mentioned with respect to Celebrity's Captain's Club revamp last year... But fact remains that, with the requirement that one earn 50% or more of total Cruise Points with Azamara in order to qualify for "free nights", they are now--and always will be given my Celebrity sailing history--a statistical impossibility upon attainment of any intermediate threshold [the last of which will occur next July] or--when it occurs--upon attainment of Platinum Plus...

My verdict is still out on the tier-based savings for having booked aboard; some have reported success--I/seemingly others haven't had success yet; I attribute it to lack of administrative clarity relative to the new practice--in getting it applied to 2015 sailings [per the "Terms & Conditions" they need not be new bookings] reserved via confirmed on-board bookings or Open Passages Certificates... And while I like the concept of flat-dollar loyalty based upsells, I already know--with virtual certainty--that they're very unlikely to happen on my February trips and, depending upon Azamara's future promotional offerings, may always be about as likely as hitting the lottery...

All things considered, I think Azamara did a reasonable job--though I still think some elements are a bit light among immediate tangibles rather than future potentialities--in redefining the Le Club Voyage membership benefits last week... But unfortunately, I "graduated" to Azamara--for their itineraries, for their destination immersion concept--too late in the game [and I do not make my cruise choices based upon loyalty benefits] for the most attractive promises/possibilities of Le Club Voyage to work for me when there is more available to me now--and a high likelihood of quantum change in my foreseeable future--with Celebrity...

Fortunately I value both experiences--for very different reasons and with neither being vastly superior in my mind to the other [Azamara's alcohol inclusives are lost on me but I like their consistently impeccable onboard service; I appreciate Celebrity for their broader activity/entertainment opportunities while having never received less than absolutely satisfactory--and occasionally superior--onboard service] equally...

No harm; no foul... I'm still a bit mystified by some of Azamara's decisions as I'd think my demographic--by mid-October, 278 cruise nights within the Royal Caribbean family of brands over a span of 5.5 years--would appeal... Business is business from both perspectives... I understand that such programs are designed for the mainstream... But I am not confused...

Edited by Xport

• 1 year later...
SOOOOOOOOO

We are in a suite AND Discover plus---Can you get both packages of minutes???

Im sure not butttttt

FRANK

No. You get whichever is better. We are Discoverer Plus which gets 120 minutes. When we were in a suite last year, we got 235 minutes but could not combine the benefits. Same with laundry. The benefit was the same one bag per stateroom per 7 days for suite or LCV. But no combining.