Airboat trip around Orlando Airport/Universal????

We are coming into Orlando on 1/26/06 we are scheduled to land before noon. Given that our hotel is going to be in the Universal area and we will have more than a half day to kill before doing Disney, Universal and then doing our cruise, we are wondering if there is someplace close that does the cool Florida Airboat rides??? Maybe with gators and wildlife, but without would be fun too!!

Any thoughts would be great!!!

I don't think the Everglades is that far north. The airboat tours we took were about a 30-minute ride from Ft. Lauderdale. Orlando is more in the middle of the state. But, then....I'm not from Florida, either! You might want to do a tour of the Kennedy Space Center, which is about a one-hour drive from Orlando...near Port Canaveral.

We did the Everglades airboat ride out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was fantastic, but extremely noisey even with the earplugs. I hope there is one near Orlando.

We too did the Everglades airboat ride out of Ft. Lauderdale and concur about it being fantastic. One of the best organized tours of our cruise and it also kept us from spending too much time in that run down bus station Ft. Lauderdale calls an airport.

There are several places that do airboat rides in the Port Canaveral area. There's a place called Lone Cabbage Fish Camp on SR 520 where it crosses the St John's river. It's not convenient to your hotel, but is only about 30 minutes from the Orlando airport. If you just want to see alligators, there are tons of them at Kennedy Space Center (those aren't logs floating in the canals).

I am still thumbing through things. My trouble is that the only day we would have time to do it will be the day we land, and we purposly got a hotel that would shuttle "for free" to Disney and Universal. So we have no way to get there on a last minute deal. If I had it planned we could arrange for transportation, I see some of the companies offer to come pick up and drop off as part of your package??

Unfortunatly I don't think we will make it to Space Center??:( Bummed about that and so will the boys, but with no wheels of our own we are tied to things we can and can not do?? Just means we'll have to come back!!!:D

Thanks for all the help though, if anything else comes to mind send it on....

We did the St John's river airboat ride- it's about halfway between the airport and Port Canavaral-(we booked through the ship) on our way home from the Sovereign of the Seas- LOTS and LOTS of alligators and a fun ride. They take you whizzing around the river and stop long enough for you to get photos etc and then zoom off. Hold onto your hats! I think the trip took about an hour.

My grandsons said that this was the best part of the whole vacation.

Me?- uck! "What if this boat sinks?" kept sneaking into my mind......LOL

If you look under 'shore excursions' for the Orlando area you should be able to book. Our company was the 'Cabbage Camp' mentioned here.

BOYS will love it. :)

Archived