Tipping (again)!

shot2bits

Ok, I know this has probably been covered dozens of times but here goes anyway. We are sailing next year on Eclipse, Concierge. If we have breakfast in our room, are we obliged to tip, or should we tip? If so, how much? We have prepaid gratuities. I know we Brits have a bad reputation, or some of us do, but I would really like to get it right. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, as a fellow Brit who had also prepaid gratuities we took the advice of other posters and took lots of single dollar bills on our cruise. We used these for breakfast service - say a couple etc. We hoped it was enough - always greeted with a smile and it showed that we were trying to acknowledge the cultural differences.

We also left extras for the Cabin Steward and other staff at the end of our cruise as a 'thank you'.

:)

Tip when you feel the service is warranted - be it for room service, cocktail lounge, etc. when you order an item that is charged there is always a 15% gratuity added on the upcharge portion. It has been our understanding from servers/staff that when they ring in a drink that is 0 charge they are paid the appropriate percentage. I/we mostly either added $1-2 dollars on upcharge on Premium wine on ticket or in cash - I am not saying it is at all necessary but it a couple of bars it did get us good service each time we appeared. Even in a few locations where we did not tip additional service was still more than satisfactory.

Room service (before our era of suites) we would tip delivery person extra ($again1-2) if it was not our stateroom attendant. Now room service is delivered by butler and he/she is tipped at end of cruise.

Tipping is indeed a personal preference and you will find that in all the specialty restaurants they include an additional line for additional tip. It is truly discretionary for all - and all cultures are unique in there own customs.