Hilarious Celebrity website issue

KLSweetland

Sorry - didn't realise this was one of those words spelt differently in other countries. I have just checked my dictionary and it shows Speciality and the plural Specialities, and it looked so wrong to me without the second I. All I could see was special ties.

No, not an attempt at satire. A google search tells me that in US and Canada it is specialties. I thought I was aware of the spelling differences so possibly I have never seen this one before.

Hey not a problem...

You just left some of us on this side of the pond slightly confused

But this is just one more thing that makes CC great... So much to learn about the world at large

Specialities = Pronounced spess-E-al-i-teas

Specialities is a word seen in Canada, but not used a lot (hence why I did not think of it)

Specialties = Pronounced Special-teas

Is far more common.

I do see the humour in this now on several levels... You saw they were serving Special Ties for Breakfast, and I see / hear Special Teas (I much prefer Tea over Ties I must admit) :)

Cheers!

Ps... Your new post brings up another quirk... You wrote Spelt. Canada we do either Spelled or Spelt. In the US for the most part Spelt is a grain. :D

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I thought I was well on top of the spelling differences between UK and US English language. On the Celebrity UK website and in the brochures they advertise Speciality Dining. On the US website it is Specialty Dining. So Celebrity managed to differentiate the spelling. I wish they would concentrate more on what really matters on the website such access to bookings, ability to book excursions etc. But hey, I learned something new today, so that's good!!

The WORST error is on the menu of the Bistro: Entree's. I know that the writer meant there to be an accent on the e, but the "typer" saw an apostrophe.

The Celebrity Today issues on our latest cruise were so bad, we developed a drinking game: Anne of Green Cabels? (gulp) Bermuda excursion in Quebec? (gulp) Bin Band music (gulp).

Oh goodness! This would be a very dangerous game for me. :eek: Typos just seem to jump out at me. I refuse to go into a store that has a grammatically incorrect sign out front but I won't refuse to cruise on Celebrity despite their horrible spelling, grammar and error reputation. Does that make me hypocritical? :o

Oh goodness! This would be a very dangerous game for me. :eek: Typos just seem to jump out at me. I refuse to go into a store that has a grammatically incorrect sign out front but I won't refuse to cruise on Celebrity despite their horrible spelling, grammar and error reputation. Does that make me hypocritical? :o

No...

Makes you a Cruise Addict :eek:

Lol... Here on CC you are among friends. We might not be able to cure your addiction but we can certainly help you "talk it out" :D

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB