Cheers! in the MDR.. Prompt?

surfjock27

We are purchasing the Cheers! package for our upcoming Breeze cruise.

I'm a wine with dinner person and was wondering if the bar service in the MDR is prompt?

I've seen some reviews where people say that the sticker on your card causes the bar staff to stray away from you.

If I order a glass of wine when we first sit down, will I have it by my appetizer? Entree?

Thanks in advance. :)

We usually stop at the bar before dinner and bring a drink with us. Also, we always carry a bunch of 1's with us, and I just give them a couple when I sign the slip. Always get great service.

ETA: I really liked having Cheers in the MDR, because then we didn't have to decide between Red & White for dinner that night, and I was able to venture & try different wines, lots of selections under $10.

Edited by Wanna_Cruize

Sad that you have to bribe the wait staff.

/QUOTE]

See, I don't look at it that way. I know I can ask for another drink, and get great service. I know servers and bar staff work very hard for their money, both my children have worked in the industry. However, I want to be treated extra-special, and I am willing to 'pay extra' for that privilege. If they know they will get a little something for themselves, perhaps they might just stop by my table first with their tray of drinks, not last.

I think bar service in the MDR is generally slow. I know each of the bar waiters has about 1/4 of the dining room to care for.

I too like wine with dinner and I get Cheers, so my sister and I order the wine package (25% discount) on the 1st night and as soon as we get to the dining room we give our waiter the coupon.

Wine packages are delivered and set up by your wait team, not the bar service team, so the service is much faster.

And yes, we always have our bottle before appetizers are served.

Was really glad you said this about 25% off the wine package! I knew you got $ off individual bottles of wine but wasn't sure about the package. We plan on doing the Cheers package and figured we would purchase a wine package for my Mother & Father-in-Law! :)

I think bar service in the MDR is generally slow. I know each of the bar waiters has about 1/4 of the dining room to care for.

I too like wine with dinner and I get Cheers, so my sister and I order the wine package (25% discount) on the 1st night and as soon as we get to the dining room we give our waiter the coupon.

Wine packages are delivered and set up by your wait team, not the bar service team, so the service is much faster.

Was really glad you said this about 25% off the wine package! I knew you got $ off individual bottles of wine but wasn't sure about the package. We plan on doing the Cheers package and figured we would purchase a wine package for my Mother & Father-in-Law! :)

Not sure if you can purchase a wine package using your Cheers 25% discount for someone other than yourself. Not supposed to give drinks to others so this might fall under the same ruling.

There are plenty of choices under ten dollars a glass for wine. Remember that if you get a glass of wine over ten dollars you will be charged full price minus 25%, not the difference. So a $10.95 glass of wine will cost you $8.22. We usually picked the under ten dollar a glass wine so it would be covered fully by the Cheers program.

I found service to be the same whether I was using Cheers or not. I had a glass of wine by the time appetizers arrived.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by momonthego17

Sad that you have to bribe the wait staff.

/QUOTE]

See, I don't look at it that way. I know I can ask for another drink, and get great service. I know servers and bar staff work very hard for their money, both my children have worked in the industry. However, I want to be treated extra-special, and I am willing to 'pay extra' for that privilege. If they know they will get a little something for themselves, perhaps they might just stop by my table first with their tray of drinks, not last.

well said

We always buy the wine package, and drink a bottle with dinner.

However, for us, that is one of the plusses for purchasing the Cheers program this time -- not having to pay extra for the wine package. We are just going to drink it by the glass this time.

We were able to get 3+ drinks each night in the MDR a few weeks ago with the Cheers program, but we had a great bar server (and we took care of him - and no, it was not sad - the guy was just back on the ship after 2 months with his wife and kids, and he said it brightened his day being around our families - we had 5 kids under the age of 9 on the ship)

I think it really depends on the waiters and bar waiter. On my last cruise our regular waiters would take our drink orders if the bar waitress wasn't around. Our bar waitress was really good though, since she knew that we had the Cheers package and we would always get 2 to 3 drinks, she would be sure to come by often. A lot of it is setting the precedent on the first night.

i usually order a drink outside the MDR at the bar and walk in with it. then once inside and the server comes around it is after the 5 minute window and i order another one. the servers will realize after the first couple nights who orders drinks at dinner and they will frequent those tables to get your orders.

I've had great service with Cheers in the MDR. Sometimes I walk in with a glass of wine. The first night I told server that I didn't want an empty glass and from then on, he brought me two slips to sign so he bring another drink without disturbing me. He'd also check to see if I wanted another. I didn't tip in advance but I did at the end of cruise.

I always take a drink with me into the dining room because I have found service to usually be very slow and I always order another drink before I finish the one I brought in. Like someone said, after a couple days the servers know who wants drinks and the service improves as the week goes along. I must say that on the Carnival Pride a month ago, the service was very good.

We are purchasing the Cheers! package for our upcoming Breeze cruise.

I'm a wine with dinner person and was wondering if the bar service in the MDR is prompt?

I've seen some reviews where people say that the sticker on your card causes the bar staff to stray away from you.

If I order a glass of wine when we first sit down, will I have it by my appetizer? Entree?

Thanks in advance. :)

I found bar service to be pretty slow in the dining room my last couple of cruises. I always buy Cheers. It's a good idea to get a drink at the bar on the way to the dining room.