Harrison caves

roupa

Is this a tourist trap/tour or really worth a shore excursion?

First background- we are experienced cruisers, and have done Barbados twice. We are in early fifties and did Barbados with college age guy & girl.

1.) we booked a private almost all day tour around the island that included Haririson caves.

My opinion it has a unique set up that one takes a very large glass elevator down to cave level. Then one boards a non covered tram that moves very slow with about four across.

2.) it is hard to hear if not near the front, and photos are tough as would need a really good flash to catch good photos while on tram, and hope you have an outside seat on bench of tram. The tram does stop at one area for about ten-15 minutes to try and get a photo of your family. It is not an overly spectacular cave. (We live in Indiana and have Caves that have walking tours on paths and structures that resemble things.) This cave one is I would say average. It is cool,but not cold, but we found got dripped on a lot requiring a baseball cap and covering my dslr camera.

3.) There is a wait time as tickets are sold in time slots. We were having such a wonderful time touring island sites from a locals perspective, structuring our day around a cave time slot was inconvenient.

I personally thought it was a large tourist area better served for seniors and perhaps families with kids who will never have opportunity to see a cave.

I found it much more unique traveling on island tour that included St.Peters church - they have amazing wood & a bell that is twin to Liberty Bell! One can actually touch it. Also liked to have spent more time at Bathsheba, plus a local bakery etc. I would skip Chatel holetown shops as little unique cottage shops but pricey with a swimsuit at $358.

Hope this helps. I am not trying to say caves are not worth it, but feel other places to visit more worthwhile. A bit underwhelming IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this a tourist trap/tour or really worth a shore excursion?

Yes, worth it for those who don't care for beaches/water sports. Even for those like us who rather be in the water, it's well worth seeing once. No, it's not a tourist trap. :)

LuLu

What tour

I happen to have saved my last cruise review of Barbados. Since you asked what tour.-

This is summary from our last cruise through Glory tours - (Sara was owner whom we emailed & were very specific with.) I think it was glory tours dot org. Keep in mind many tour rates are in a barbarian currency which I think is 2:1. So basically cut price in half. My prices at end are in US dollar rate. We loved the private tour option as we could make the call of where & how long. It was the logic of roads that limit what order see things, and that we had Harrison a Cave reservation.

we did a private tour for our family of four with Glory tours (two adults late 40's and a college girl & guy.) We indicated wanting to see Harrison Cave, Bathsheba and maybe a nice picture esque church. We were very specific that wanted private,a/c and had two tall guys so a larger vehicle not a micro small car. Some people have written they had trouble with deposits etc. we had no issues at all. Our only concern wa meeting in "the tree circle" and all the large groups were getting into vans and we were told to wait on the sidewalk. Finally the private driver drove up with a full size van for us after 20 min. A very disorganized morning start, but it all worked out.

This time- the island tour was really nice, but it was the small things that we liked-

We started down west coast I believe stopping at a beautiful waterfront area and purchasing from a street vendor a fresh cut coconut. We sipped the fresh cut coconut water and were shown how to scoop out the jelly, from there local sights of housing,school areas and stopped at Chatel Village (Holetown?) checked out a few shops while it rained for 5 minutes making it very steamy! The shops are colorful,unique gingerbread "chatel style homes" but the few we went into quite pricey -swimsuit was $380 that was in a window. I actually found the trees around the houses more interesting being a banana tree and never having seen a "canonballtree". We drove a bit-driver pointing out new large resort be built, Oprah's estate from a distance. Then I think we arrived at Speightstown (Spelling?) very quiet,typical plain town (if you have ever been to rural mexico/cozumel feel) -not much to take photos of, but we were getting hungry and driver asked if wanted to get out walking into a small little bakery -really good breakfast pastry(meat with some spice) and an apple tartlet thingy that was the best of both. I had requested a stop at a church in St, James Parish -it has a couple amazing stainglass windows, a baptismal font, old mahogany woodwork, lattice windows and a bell older than liberty bell it is one of three -related to Liberty Bell & Big Ben. The church grounds reminded me of a mini New Orleans church/graveyard.

More scenery along the way, with the most standout being Little Bay shore on northeast -the rugged shoreside,blowholes and serenity of it,then shortly after"Bathsheba" rocks were neat but did not have much time for photos as had Harrison cave reservations to get to. It felt like we basically drove through every parish and road on island- nice but gets very repetitive. Glad I took my Bonine-lots twists ,turns and steep inclines.

The Harrison cave was "okay" nicer for those wanting a feel of a cave, but having seen one in Inidana which is much more interactive and a walking tour which lends to photos felt the cave on a cruise IMO worth skipping. The uniquenss of seeing a cave via tram was ok -but didn't lead to many photo ops, and cave was not that "overwhelming" in beauty (sorry Harrison) Same with Chatel Village in Holetown-very pictureque quaint gingerbread houses that are shops but prices not quaint! Our driver had asked if we wanted to stop for lunch -but we were running short on time-and restaurants we drove by were packed, and knowing Caribbean service speed would have been stressed getting back to ship. Forgot to mention somewhere along trip saw Cherry Hill view (it is amazing -but the vendor there selling paintings -was very touchy and didn't want his "original" artist work in any photos ...reallly?...I would not have bought any had I even wanted to after he pushed my sons girlfriend shoulder and camera away! SO lucky our guys in my family didn't see that (we would have been in Barbados jail) -but our driver did and got into a "foreign language shouting match" and shot dirty looks -somehow I think that vendor will never make a sale from our drivers fares. Brushing that aside we also passed the entrance to St.Nicholas Abbey which some people I talked to toured thru ship and liked it a lot. I am sure I described a lot, got to see many places, but really there were too many -got redundant and not all that unique after a while.

My favorite things:- St.John's Church, Little Bay, a local bakery (I will look back at my photos for a name/landmark of it- it is sooo tiny but very friendly & good - our driver insisted on paying for pastries, but we later treated to soda & chips at the caves.)Cherry tree Hill view -then from our prior trip I would ask to go by the downtown historical buildings.that would be more than enough.

skip-Harrison cave, & skip bathsheba-unless it is in the area of something else. Also he drove near some fishing/beach area not thrilled with that.

If like tours/factories-I know there is a mahagony man/carver, earthenworks pottery, batik on island to see too.

Our driver -he was a cousin I think of Quammie (one of Sara's regular drivers) was our guide - I believed name was Ryan Little (but not 100% positive as I have a few taxi drivers business cards from trip)-did a great job narrating,making sure we were "having a good time" so no issue with service.

Our private tour- 8hrs was $80 a person, plus $27 each cave admission.(price from 2013)

Edited by Buffettfan 225
Added date

Dear Buffetfan,

Thank you Maam for your review and knowlege too.

One question. Why not see the cave (s) first?;)

PS: You do live in a nice place. I was involved in the Artwork youall Carmelians had to that Insurance Magnate he acquired through us.

I happen to have saved my last cruise review of Barbados. Since you asked what tour.-

This is summary from our last cruise through Glory tours - (Sara was owner whom we emailed & were very specific with.) I think it was glory tours dot org. Keep in mind many tour rates are in a barbarian currency which I think is 2:1. So basically cut price in half. My prices at end are in US dollar rate. We loved the private tour option as we could make the call of where & how long. It was the logic of roads that limit what order see things, and that we had Harrison a Cave reservation.

we did a private tour for our family of four with Glory tours (two adults late 40's and a college girl & guy.) We indicated wanting to see Harrison Cave, Bathsheba and maybe a nice picture esque church. We were very specific that wanted private,a/c and had two tall guys so a larger vehicle not a micro small car. Some people have written they had trouble with deposits etc. we had no issues at all. Our only concern wa meeting in "the tree circle" and all the large groups were getting into vans and we were told to wait on the sidewalk. Finally the private driver drove up with a full size van for us after 20 min. A very disorganized morning start, but it all worked out.

This time- the island tour was really nice, but it was the small things that we liked-

We started down west coast I believe stopping at a beautiful waterfront area and purchasing from a street vendor a fresh cut coconut. We sipped the fresh cut coconut water and were shown how to scoop out the jelly, from there local sights of housing,school areas and stopped at Chatel Village (Holetown?) checked out a few shops while it rained for 5 minutes making it very steamy! The shops are colorful,unique gingerbread "chatel style homes" but the few we went into quite pricey -swimsuit was $380 that was in a window. I actually found the trees around the houses more interesting being a banana tree and never having seen a "canonballtree". We drove a bit-driver pointing out new large resort be built, Oprah's estate from a distance. Then I think we arrived at Speightstown (Spelling?) very quiet,typical plain town (if you have ever been to rural mexico/cozumel feel) -not much to take photos of, but we were getting hungry and driver asked if wanted to get out walking into a small little bakery -really good breakfast pastry(meat with some spice) and an apple tartlet thingy that was the best of both. I had requested a stop at a church in St, James Parish -it has a couple amazing stainglass windows, a baptismal font, old mahogany woodwork, lattice windows and a bell older than liberty bell it is one of three -related to Liberty Bell & Big Ben. The church grounds reminded me of a mini New Orleans church/graveyard.

More scenery along the way, with the most standout being Little Bay shore on northeast -the rugged shoreside,blowholes and serenity of it,then shortly after"Bathsheba" rocks were neat but did not have much time for photos as had Harrison cave reservations to get to. It felt like we basically drove through every parish and road on island- nice but gets very repetitive. Glad I took my Bonine-lots twists ,turns and steep inclines.

The Harrison cave was "okay" nicer for those wanting a feel of a cave, but having seen one in Inidana which is much more interactive and a walking tour which lends to photos felt the cave on a cruise IMO worth skipping. The uniquenss of seeing a cave via tram was ok -but didn't lead to many photo ops, and cave was not that "overwhelming" in beauty (sorry Harrison) Same with Chatel Village in Holetown-very pictureque quaint gingerbread houses that are shops but prices not quaint! Our driver had asked if we wanted to stop for lunch -but we were running short on time-and restaurants we drove by were packed, and knowing Caribbean service speed would have been stressed getting back to ship. Forgot to mention somewhere along trip saw Cherry Hill view (it is amazing -but the vendor there selling paintings -was very touchy and didn't want his "original" artist work in any photos ...reallly?...I would not have bought any had I even wanted to after he pushed my sons girlfriend shoulder and camera away! SO lucky our guys in my family didn't see that (we would have been in Barbados jail) -but our driver did and got into a "foreign language shouting match" and shot dirty looks -somehow I think that vendor will never make a sale from our drivers fares. Brushing that aside we also passed the entrance to St.Nicholas Abbey which some people I talked to toured thru ship and liked it a lot. I am sure I described a lot, got to see many places, but really there were too many -got redundant and not all that unique after a while.

My favorite things:- St.John's Church, Little Bay, a local bakery (I will look back at my photos for a name/landmark of it- it is sooo tiny but very friendly & good - our driver insisted on paying for pastries, but we later treated to soda & chips at the caves.)Cherry tree Hill view -then from our prior trip I would ask to go by the downtown historical buildings.that would be more than enough.

skip-Harrison cave, & skip bathsheba-unless it is in the area of something else. Also he drove near some fishing/beach area not thrilled with that.

If like tours/factories-I know there is a mahagony man/carver, earthenworks pottery, batik on island to see too.

Our driver -he was a cousin I think of Quammie (one of Sara's regular drivers) was our guide - I believed name was Ryan Little (but not 100% positive as I have a few taxi drivers business cards from trip)-did a great job narrating,making sure we were "having a good time" so no issue with service.

Our private tour- 8hrs was $80 a person, plus $27 each cave admission.(price from 2013)

Dear Buffetfan,

Thank you Maam for your review and knowlege too.

One question. Why not see the cave (s) first?;)

PS: You do live in a nice place. I was involved in the Artwork youall Carmelians had to that Insurance Magnate he acquired through us.

Our operator could not get tickets. I think he said the ship had all the ticket blocks in the morning. We tried that as our request to try and beat the ship tours there.

RE: Carmel -yes voted in top 5 places to live in US. Love it except the winter here. We are not native Carmelites, but WI cheeseheads .

Edited by Buffettfan 225
Added comment