Altun Ha or Lamanai Ruins?

Hydro ergo

Hi! My husband and I are booked on a Princess cruise in February that ports in Belize. We are trying to decide between two shore excursions (both Princess tours, as they are long, it's a tender port, and time could be an issue)...the Altun Ha and the Lamanai Mayan Ruins tours. It looks like both tours feature a bus ride to the river, a two hour river boat tour, a tour of the site, and lunch (and of course a ride back to the ship!). We aren't sure which is better. The Lamanai tour is 1/2 hr longer, and $50 per person more. Not sure why such a huge difference. It also sounds like that one could be a bit more "strenuous" with the touring situation at the site. We are young and active, so that isn't a problem. My husband does suffer from motion sickness. We know, Belize has a loooong tender. He's ok with that. But we don't want a terrible bus ride as well. River boats are fine as that isn't the type of motion that is an issue. Anyway, I hope that background info helps with your input...it's all appreciated! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your info! We are still trying to decide which to select...and now we found there is a third in the mix...starts with an "X" and I won't try to type it out of memory! Thank you for sharing the pictures---they are wonderful! How was the river boat ride? Princess describes it as a "scenic river cruise" but we have been reading that it is a high speed boat that can actually be kind of choppy/jerky feeling. Just asking because of the whole motion sickness issue. Thanks again all!

How was the river boat ride? Princess describes it as a "scenic river cruise" but we have been reading that it is a high speed boat that can actually be kind of choppy/jerky feeling. Just asking because of the whole motion sickness issue. Thanks again all!

The one we were on (Royal Caribbean excursion), was nice. It started out kind of slow and we stopped now and then to look at birds, gators, etc. Then after we reached a certain spot, the ride became faster and we didn't stop until we reached the ruins. Same thing on the way back until we reached the place where the bus was waiting. We had lunch, then boarded the bus and went back to our ship. We had anticipated a bumpy ride but the boat ride was surprisingly enjoyable.