El Morro Fortress

wanda1213

One more question. We are thinking of doing the Segway tour, and then after that going to see the fort. I would imagine it might be closed by then, but are you still able to wander the grounds? Can I still go to the cemetary or is the whole area gated and latched. :confused: Thanks.

The forts close at 5pm when you are here (June - Nov). You can walk along part of the outside (and walk along the bottom of the fort), but you will miss most of it. But it is still very pretty and impressive looking. Walk along the Paseo del Morro to get great pictures of the wall, El Morro fort and the guaritas. See my walking tour for more info:http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/07/01/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

If you are there on Tuesday, Fort San Cristobal will be open until 6pm (and then a free dance show starts).

The cemetery will probably be locked after 5pm. It is all enclosed and gated. I would not venture down that way after dark.

You will love El Morro. My son wasn't interested in going but I insisted. Once we got there, we stayed for hours and had a wonderful time.

I agree with a previous poster, don't stop at a McDonalds for lunch, stop at a local place. If you like coffee, you HAVE to try the local coffee in San Juan, it is excellent.

Okay, thanks. "Problem" is that we are not due into SJ until 3pm. So we'll have to do either the Segway tour OR the fort. I'm surprised the fort doesn't stay open later when ships are in port, especially the "late arrivals."

Okay, thanks. "Problem" is that we are not due into SJ until 3pm. So we'll have to do either the Segway tour OR the fort. I'm surprised the fort doesn't stay open later when ships are in port, especially the "late arrivals."

The 2 hr Segway tour takes you to El Morro and Jose and Natalie are great guides inside the fort too. So you can do both!

Well, that's an idea too! Do they let you wander around on your own while at the fort? Like, we'll meet at a certain spot in 10 minutes or something? Because that cemetary really has me intrigued and I would want to see that while at the fort.

Wow, that was an old post!

I am sure that Frommer's will have lots of great ideas, but from 2006, you might want to double check the info. Things in the tourist industry changes pretty quickly. Lots of new things to do!

Check my travel blog for PR to check current hours of operations/things to do etc.

www.Puertoricodaytrips.com

This was their latest edition . . . the 7th edition doesn't come out until this September!

Archived