Bayport Experience

travelmatron

Since we've not sailed from Bayport, I don't know for a fact that here are not any type of shops in the actual terminal, just that there is nothing within walking distance. Huggs, if you stay in Kemah's Boardwalk area there are plenty of dining options but a rather limited hotel availability. Also, not sure how accessible taxi transportation is. In Kemah, not within walking distance tho, is a Target and WalMart.

I tried to pickup from Hobby and return in Seabrook thru Enterprise as well (although ours is for October) and it showed no cars available. However, if you do a round trip back to Hobby, it shows ALL models available. Do not understand this. Either you do what you're in business to do (i.e. RENT cars) or not.

I spoke to an Enterprise representative at the Seabrook location and she told me that they don't accept one way rentals. We are renting a car at IAH and returning to an Enterprise location in Webster. Texas. We are planning to take a taxi from the rental car location to the terminal.

Hope this helps.

I live in Seabrook which is the closest city? to the Bayport terminal and can vouch, there is nothing, and I mean, absolutely nothing near the terminal within walking distance. There are a few new motel/hotels nearby but again, unless you're in Kemah or staying on Nasa Rd 1, don't plan to leave your lodging. As for the couple staying at the Homewood Suites/Westchase, The Westchase area is in FAR Southwest Houston, at least a good 75+ minutes drive if no traffic and while their lodging cost is good and the availability of items needed is an added bonus, I hope they realize the distance this location from the cruise port. Personally it would not be worth it to me to stay this far away for any cost or reason.

And Bayport is at least a 40 minute drive from Galveston.

While it's nice to have a cruise terminal so close to our home I think the location

area and lack of amenities will be the 'kiss of death' for those coming from outside of the Houston area.

I have spent WAY too much time trying to figure out how to do this Houston port thing......and have come fill circle! Due to a death in the family, we no longer have the need to come the day "of" and have toyed with the idea of close to the port, "near" to the port...rental car, taxi, car service, etc. Finally decided to just come in a day and a half EARLY, stay in a nice hotel in Houston.....do some sight seeing and shopping and have hired a car service to drive us to the port on Saturday morning.

Again, we had previously made plans to be in Corpus for three days but that is no longer necessary.....and despite this change of plans, it STILL was not an easy decision! We only made this reservation as it made sense at the time as it enabled us to go and visit my mother in law before heading out for the cruise from Houston. The logistics of this port AND the itinerary are such that this will probably be our LAST time out of Houston. But this is probably a GREAT trip for those that live closer! AS we have done WAY too many Mexican Riviera trips due to the "ease" of just hiring a car to drive us to the port in under 30 minutes!

I spoke to an Enterprise representative at the Seabrook location and she told me that they don't accept one way rentals. We are renting a car at IAH and returning to an Enterprise location in Webster. Texas. We are planning to take a taxi from the rental car location to the terminal.

Hope this helps.

This is what we are thinking of doing with either Enterprise or Budget. We are staying in Kemah and want to drop off in Webster (or anything as close as we can get to the port). Do you know what the approximate cost of the taxi would be? I know Houston has Uber but haven't checked Webster yet.

This is what we are thinking of doing with either Enterprise or Budget. We are staying in Kemah and want to drop off in Webster (or anything as close as we can get to the port). Do you know what the approximate cost of the taxi would be? I know Houston has Uber but haven't checked Webster yet.

We are returning the car to 123 W BAY AREA BLVD WEBSTER, TX 77598, which is located 11 miles from the port. When I called to make the reservation, the lady told me that it should be about $20 to go from that location to the port. I searched for other car rentals near the port, but enterprise was the closest location.

What penthouse suite are you in for your December cruise? We are in 10166. Looking forward to the large balcony.

Hope this helps.

Well, isn't that interesting. I just spoke (as in less than 5 min ago) with both the airport location (which is Hobby for us) and the Seabrook location and they both said we could do it but that it would be a $100 drop off fee (to which I said thanks, but, no thanks). It would be nice if they could get their stories straight over at Enterprise.

I just checked the Webster location online and it can be done for a total of around $60 (including rental). This makes way more sense than having to go all the way back to Hobby and drop off and then pay for a cab to the port. The cab alone was gonna be $70.

Edited by tarps14

I live in Austin and usually depart from Galveston but I always stay at the Holiday Inn in Webster the night before a cruise and it is a nice, clean hotel. There are several restaurants right next to the hotel (a great Mediterranean restaurant, Chipotle, a Thai place) so you can just walk to dinner. There is also a Target and lots of other shopping right there on Bay Ave in case you need to pick something up.

Well, isn't that interesting. I just spoke (as in less than 5 min ago) with both the airport location (which is Hobby for us) and the Seabrook location and they both said we could do it but that it would be a $100 drop off fee (to which I said thanks, but, no thanks). It would be nice if they could get their stories straight over at Enterprise.

I just checked the Webster location online and it can be done for a total of around $60 (including rental). This makes way more sense than having to go all the way back to Hobby and drop off and then pay for a cab to the port. The cab alone was gonna be $70.

yes, it does make more sense. We are picking up at IAH and driving to the Webster location and taking a cab from there.

Also, if you have a discover card, you can use your cashback bonus and double it for purchases at enterprise (make sure that you follow the directions for renting a car). So our one way from IAH to the Webster location is going to cost us $34 after the cashback bonus from Discover card.

I wonder -

Has anyone in this thread thought to ask this question (or seek out threads with this subject) in the Princess subforum? The Caribbean Princess spent the 2013-14 season sailing out of Bayport. (And the Emerald has the next two seasons.) Only those cruisers would have had direct experience with this cruise terminal as of today.

....Also, if you have a discover card, you can use your cashback bonus and double it for purchases at enterprise (make sure that you follow the directions for renting a car). So our one way from IAH to the Webster location is going to cost us $34 after the cashback bonus from Discover card.

Shut up!! You just saved me another $40!! Thank you, thank you!

Shut up!! You just saved me another $40!! Thank you, thank you!

Glad that it worked. Don't forget to print the certificate and bring it with you.

Please come back and let us know about your cruise. I have 101 days to go.

I am revisiting this thread as I have now read on the ports board that taxis from Hobby to Bayport will run $20-$25. Beginning to think it may just be less hassle to return the rental car to the airport since we are staying at an airport hotel instead of the Webster location. Thoughts on this? For natives of the area, does this sound about right for taxi fare?

Edited by tarps14

When are you cruising? What time are you arriving at IAH? What do you need?

If they are using a van just for you and maybe a few others' date=' the driver might just stop on the way for a fee. I can give you suggestions of places for what you may need in the area close to the port.[/size']

The address for Bayport is actually Seabrook. It is 42 miles from IAH. From the Southern Houston city limits it's only a few miles.

Kemah is by far the best place to stay in my opinion if you come in a day ahead. Problem is getting from IAH to Kemah.

We are a group of 6. We are flying into IAH the day before and hopefully get a shuttle service to our motel in LaPorte and Shuttle service/taxi to the port day of cruise. I did some research and hopefully came up with a plan that will work.

We are returning the car to 123 W BAY AREA BLVD WEBSTER, TX 77598, which is located 11 miles from the port. When I called to make the reservation, the lady told me that it should be about $20 to go from that location to the port. I searched for other car rentals near the port, but enterprise was the closest location.

What penthouse suite are you in for your December cruise? We are in 10166. Looking forward to the large balcony.

10166 is a GREAT suite....I just did the Los Angeles-Houston 16 day trip with that as my home.

Also, there is a Best Western Plus Seabrook Suites hotel that is very close to the port. The hotel has a shuttle to the port, and the shuttle will also take you to Kemah & the boardwalk, and basically anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel (there is a Kroger within that radius). Have you looked into just taking a shuttle or car service to a hotel in the port area that may have a free shuttle service? I'm not sure if there are other hotels that would offer a shuttle service or not. The Best Western's web site is http://www.bwseabrooksuites.com Since I live here in the Houston area, I haven't stayed at the Best Western, but did see it on the way home from the port.

5. What are the taxi prices between the airport and the cruise terminal?

Yellow Cab Houston

George Bush Intercontinental Airport to the Bayport Cruise Terminal is approximately $110 - $125 (approximately 1 hr / 45-50 miles depending on route)

Houston Hobby Airport to the Bayport Cruise Terminal is approximately $70-$75 (approximately 30 min / 20-25 miles depending on route)

Pasadena Taxi

George Bush Intercontinental Airport to the Bayport Cruise Terminal is approximately $100 (approximately 1 hr / 45-50 miles depending on route)

Houston Hobby Airport to the Bayport Cruise Terminal is approximately $50 (approximately 30 min / 20-25 miles depending on route)

As others have said there is nothing at the exit to the port. It is off hwy 146. However Kemah and Seabrook is just south a couple miles and you can find stores with the items you need. You will need a car unless you can walk several miles at a very fast pace. One thing of note though is that Kemah has a great place to eat on 146 just south of the port. it is T-Bone Toms and has been feature on Diners, Drive inn, and Dives. If you arrive early or leave late this is a place to get a great meal. Their Armadillo eggs are wonderful. Just ask Guy!