Suggestions for Disciplining your child while on board

Cruise Arizona

Any suggestions on disciplining children while onboard. What to take away if they miss behave. Rewards they can earn for good behaivior?

They are on vacation, but I have given them clear expectations about the behavior I expect from them. So any suggestions on what has worked to help you inforce your rules. At home we take away the X-box, but that won't really work very well on a cruise.

But there are video arcades on board :) that you can prohibit for

"naughty behavior" also no special treats like Ben and Jerrys etc

or no pool time etc. I think there are even more things to use a

bargaining chips while on a cruise ship...many more incentives to

lose on a cruise ship than there are at home. I hope that helps.

Of course there is always "walking the plank" or throwing them

overboard.....;) only kidding folks!

Our punishments are pretty much the same whether we are at home or at sea....time out, sitting on a hard chair, looking at a wall.....my son is five and he knows that if he steps out of line I have no problem picking him up and rushing him back to our cabin, all the while whispering quietly how unhappy I am with his behavior. I try to avoid bribing for good behavior preferring spur of the moment treats when I think he has done really well.....it keeps him on his toes since he never knows when a treat may come his way.

When we went to Alaska by teenage daughter started with her smart mouth and she was stuck in the cabin one day while we were in port. I took her cruise card so I know she couldn't leave the room. Her grandfather didn't get off the ship that day so he got her for lunch and took her back to the cabin.

When we went to Alaska by teenage daughter started with her smart mouth and she was stuck in the cabin one day while we were in port. I took her cruise card so I know she couldn't leave the room. Her grandfather didn't get off the ship that day so he got her for lunch and took her back to the cabin.
If we told our teenage DD that she couldn't hang out with her parents and 2 little brothers, but had to stay in the cabin all day instead, with nothing to do but read and watch TV -- she would view it as a reward rather than a punishment!;)

If we told our teenage DD that she couldn't hang out with her parents and 2 little brothers, but had to stay in the cabin all day instead, with nothing to do but read and watch TV -- she would view it as a reward rather than a punishment!;)
Oh try this make them stick to your side for the day no more than 10 feet away even to the bathroom!! Sitting around with a bunch of grown-up in public where the other kids are having fun is NO fun!!!! Embarassment works wonders That and tell them what they will be loosing at home when you get home!!!!! No friends over no going out no x-box you will sell it on E-Bay for 0.99 cents!!! Oh this gets my DS going..LOL

Also tell them you have no problem at their age to paddle their butts in public. I have never hit my kid but just the thought of me doing this makes him nervious, he knows I would do it or he thinks I would..LOL

Oh try this make them stick to your side for the day no more than 10 feet away even to the bathroom!! Sitting around with a bunch of grown-up in public where the other kids are having fun is NO fun!!!! Embarassment works wonders That and tell them what they will be loosing at home when you get home!!!!! No friends over no going out no x-box you will sell it on E-Bay for 0.99 cents!!! Oh this gets my DS going..LOL

Also tell them you have no problem at their age to paddle their butts in public. I have never hit my kid but just the thought of me doing this makes him nervious, he knows I would do it or he thinks I would..LOL

LOL!

They are girls 7, Boy 9, and we are going on the Celebrity Infinity if there are any ideas specific to that ship.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, I think thinking about these things ahead of time helps for a better cruise.

They are usually pretty good in public situations, but the two week stretch may get a little tiring on them.

I guess we could also threaten to make them stay on board the ship when we are in certain ports where they have looked forward to doing things. Everybody wants to see Pearl Harbor and Kilawea, I guess we could threaten to take that a way for something big, but any ideas for a quick on the spot correction that would not disturb other passengers and still get thier attention immediately.

Everybody wants to see Pearl Harbor and Kilawea, I guess we could threaten to take that a way for something big, but any ideas for a quick on the spot correction that would not disturb other passengers and still get thier attention immediately.

Yes, but are you willing to carry out that threat. Do you or DH really want to stay on board and miss Pearl Harbor in order to teach your child a lessen. Personally I would not withhold something that I really wanted to do if it meant I would have to miss out also. I would more likely go for confinement to quarter all day long on a sea day with nothing at all to do but listen to mom very quietly go on and on and on and on about how could this have been prevented. Bore the crankies out of them!!!

Are you planning to purchase the Celebrity soda program for them? This is a sticker that goes on their cruise card. If you are, you can take away their soda privileges for the day by taking their cruise card. You'll also have to tell the waiter at dinner that night because otherwise the waiter would automatically put a soda at their plate.

Are you going to give them an allowance for the week to have spending money in the ports? Some portion of that could also be taken away.

What types of things do you currently do if they act up in a public place like the grocery store or a mall? It seems that some of those things could also be done on the ship. Its not that different an environment.

I did this with my daughter when we were in the Bahamas last year (she was 16). She just when to guest relations and told them that she lost it and they replaced it. When we came back her and her friend were out exploring.

When my kids (6 and 8) start to act up during a show or at dinner, I just turn to my husband and say "I guess we won't be buying anything for the girls while we're in port tomorrow." That usually does the trick and they start begging and pleading for us to give them "another chance." It's usually followed by many promises of "I'll be good for the rest of the day, I promise!" They love to get some type of trinket or souvenir at the shops in port. But if they aren't good, I keep my word and don't buy them a thing. I only had to do that once, ever since then they've believed my warning and started behaving themselves.;)

Other things to take away that works well is telling them that they won't get to go to the arcade, the ice cream place on board, or you can not let them go to the kids center to play and see their friends. The last suggestion is pure torture for my kids since they live for the kids center, it's all they talk about. And to have to be stuck with mom or dad for an afternoon instead of being with kids playing games, well, that just about kills them. Don't get me wrong, my kids love to be with me, but when they miss out on all of the t-shirt painting, ice cream parties, jewelry making, and other fun stuff they do at the kids center, they flip out.:rolleyes:

Of course, this is coming from the mom who has rules no matter where we go. When I go grocery shopping, I always let each kid pick out a couple of their favorite snacks. But if they whine or beg for stuff too much, I reach into the cart and start taking their stuff they picked out of the cart. Boy does that shut them up! :) They go from begging for more stuff to just being glad that I decided to be generous and let them keep what they'd put into the cart. I haven't had to take anything out of the cart for years. Though, as toddlers they often had things taken out. I think they've learned their lesson now and they know where they stand with me. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

What's most important to your kids?

For my DD not letting her bring a book to dinner would be the worst punishment. :) We insist that she keeps her nose out of it until she's ordered and eaten her entre, but if she wants to read while the adults slog their way through all of our courses she may do so. For extreme punishment, I'd make her join the conversation - but she's very shy so that would probably be cruel.

Best advice is to make expections VERY clear up front. Also if you see an issue starting up (discord between the kids, fidgiting, whatever clues you into rough seas ahead) head it off - separate the kids, suggest a walk, create a diversion (games work well).

My kids are 10 and 14 and I have a few options in place for our upcoming cruise.

1) Make them spend a sea day in the cabin with no entertainment while I enjoy the balcony or deck.

2) Make them spend a sea day by my side. Nothing worse for a child than having to stay close to Mom and Dad for an entire day while other kids are out having fun.

3) Cut off the sea pass card.

Two things I would never do ....

1) Make them stay on the ship while we are in port. The learning experience of traveling to new destinations is why we cruise.

2) Not buy them a souvenier. They really treasure them for years to come and when they grow up, will look back and remember that particular port.

What ever you decide, just be sure to stick to your guns. If you back down, you will lose all control.

While I agree with the above poster on not leaving the kids in port because of the educational experience they receive while on shore, I disagree on the souvenir statement. My kids are young and tend to lose or misplace things often. A souvenir has many times been lost from past cruises and I think perhaps this is because of their ages ( 6 and 8). But even if they were older, I think my youngest would still tend to misplace things as this is her personality. I would still punish them with not getting a souvenir because of bad behavior. Most of the times they quickly start behaving themselves and get nothing taken away. But I have taken away souvenir privileges and will continue to take away souvenirs because the real memories are in our hearts and in the beautiful pictures we take. No souvenir can compare to the priceless pictures we have in our photo albums and on our computer. How many souvenirs have you kept in tact from your numerous vacations over the years? How many pictures have you kept in tact from those trips? See my point? The pictures are the real souvenir in my honest opinion.:)

Archived