Fun ideas and tips for Cruising over Christmas with kids?

sdjatigger

We have never cruised over Christmas before. We have a 6 year old who loves Santa and all things Christmas. I would love fun ideas, and tips for how others have handled making the holidays special for kids and family while cruising during the holidays. (Not to imply that cruising over the holidays isn't special already...but looking for ways to "holiday up" the cruise).

P.S. we will also be on board over New Years and would welcome ideas for that time too:)

Edited by sdjatigger

We had a large group for two Christmas cruises and did a secret Santa on them so we didn't have to lug gifts for everyone from everyone. We also had a miniature tree and brought throw-away garland and put out Christmas candy in our room.

What line are you traveling on? I'm sure if you coordinate with a butler/concierge or cruise director they could come up with some great Santa stuff to do! Maybe Santa drops stuff off at a show or something...

Smallish gifts particularly for the little one. Bring gift bags on board and send the family out for somthing so you can "wrap" and after they are sound asleep put them out with a personalized note for each from Santa indicating that he knew that your family couldn't carry bigger stuff home -- if you plan to have a few gifts at home for them from Santa, arrange for friend/family to put them out after you leave and then in the note, explain that there are some goodies waiting for him/her at home.

There are a wide variety of inexpensive collapsable trees and other decor help keep things festive.

I bought special holiday PJs (a tradition from home) and "wrapped" them in some tissue for Christmas Eve gift.

Holiday hat for dad and antler headbands with jinglebells for DD and I.

Handmade cards with mini candy canes or holiday pencils to give to new friends made on board

Thanks gotaluvlex and Onessa, you gave me several great ideas that I am going to use! I appreciate you sharing your tips. There are so many things I hadn't thought of, like bringing along a collapsable tree, or small gifts for my DS to give out to new friends. I also hadn't given any thoughts to trying to coordinate something with a cruise director or concierge.

Do the ships usually have a Santa appearance?

We are on Costa this cruise. The last time we sailed with them was almost 10 years ago, and we have never sailed over Christmas, so I'm not sure what to expect :)