Am I a tightwad or am I careful with money?

What economies do people make so they can afford more cruises? :D:D

We have never used a pay extra restaurant.

We have never booked our seats on the 'plane.

We take a "packed lunch" to eat on the flight.

We never buy tea or coffee, always go to the Lido to get one.

I refill my water bottle in the Lido, from a glass, I hasten to add, NOT under the tap :eek::eek:

We usually go back to the ship for lunch, unless it is somewhere that we want to see a lot of or somewhere new.

If we have a late flight home, as last year on the Majesty, we packed a roll and some fruit to eat on the flight home. (We were not the only ones doing this either;))

Our one extravagance is a cabin with a window or porthole :D

What economies do people make so they can afford more cruises?

I refill my water bottle in the Lido, from a glass, I hasten to add, NOT under the tap :eek::eek:

We usually go back to the ship for lunch, unless it is somewhere that we want to see a lot of or somewhere new.

If we have a late flight home, as last year on the Majesty, we packed a roll and some fruit to eat on the flight home. (We were not the only ones doing this either;))

you're not anything , you just holiday the way that suits you :)

What economies do people make so they can afford more cruises? :D

I refill my water bottle in the Lido, from a glass, I hasten to add, NOT under the tap :eek:

If we have a late flight home, as last year on the Majesty, we packed a roll and some fruit to eat on the flight home. (We were not the only ones doing this either)

Everyone does it the way that suits them Linda. Lots of choices to be made and different ways of tackling it.

We make choices like an inside cabin (as you know) based on the savings which help towards the next trip - unless there's a free up-grade which I'd welcome with both hands! ;)

We often go for deals too - although not exclusively. Again depends on how much we want to do that cruise and if we are prepared to lose it - if not we cough up and forget it!

We do pay for plane seats but only for Caribbean -ie long haul. Will settle for the risk of getting separate seats on shorter flights.

We tend to buy food for the flight in the airport - or eat there just because there is more choice and you can buy what you like and it's often cheaper than the plane. The only thing we do buy on the plane is a cuppa!!

Don't usually eat off the ship mainly because we eat too much on board anyway so tend to skip lunch. However a drink and local cake/delicacy is a 'must do' on shore! :o

I do understand that some people will have different views - their holiday may be a much needed break, they want to have the best of everything - suite, balconies, premium seating, buy AI if not free, speciality restaurants, special packages. Perhaps it's a very special trip, celebration or just that people prefer to splash out on one trip with all the trimmings instead of two 'economy' ones. (Might be the only holiday they have each year so all the budget goes on one trip). Each to their own - good luck to everyone however they choose to do it. Enjoy your cruises and hope you will enjoy many more in the future. ;)

Much the same as you Linda. We never book seats on Thomson's. Never pay for a safe, other companies don't charge for these. We buy tea and coffee on the plane, sometimes we buy food, depends on departure airport and how long the transfer from port to airport is. Not because we are mean, just on principle. Thomson will be charging for the air we breath next.

Hi Nancy, I forgot the safe. We have had it free on Princess, Fred, Celebrity and RCI.

Charging for air? :eek: Don't give them ideas Nancy :rolleyes::D[/quote

I'm sure it will have crossed their mind Linda, lol !!

We found Fred so much better in every way than Thomson. Food and entertainment were excellent.

Sorry Linda , but your a tight arse lol, only joking, we try and safe on little things to, but we book our seats ever since we were separated coming back from Jamacia 7 years ago, and that was our wedding , I don't believe in paying for safes but if you've got valuables you need it, and for the windows I just book the cheapest cabin , because all you do is shave,shower, and sleep in it , but if I can't get freeA/I , I don't mind paying for it, as I like a few halves throughout the day and night, I've watched the ones that don't pay for A/I , and they sip their cocktail for hours on end. Just do what you do and always enjoy your holidays

Muffinman :D

I've watched the ones that don't pay for A/I , and they sip their cocktail for hours on end

yep...we do that!...cant drink my beer too quickly... makes me burrp!!:( :D (and I am an offical tight wad) :p

strangely??...ms magot can make the (same glass) of cocktail last all night??.....especially if she is sitting with freinds who are on the ai ?? ;) (even more strange is the way she can make the cocktail change colour?? without anyone noticing??) ;):)

Edited by geomagot

Hi Nancy, I forgot the safe. We have had it free on Princess, Fred, Celebrity and RCI.

Charging for air? :eek: Don't give them ideas Nancy :rolleyes::D[/quote

I'm sure it will have crossed their mind Linda, lol !!

We found Fred so much better in every way than Thomson. Food and entertainment were excellent.

I'm liking comments like these having defected & booked a Fred Cruise for next year :):)

I have shopped around this time & gone to another cruise line & got a MUCH better deal than the prices we have been paying over the last few years with Thomson. Got the drink package, free safe, sailing from Southampton so no extra charges for extra KG of luggage, pre-booking flight seats etc; really looking forward to trying something new!

We are the same as you Linda. We still enjoy our holiday as much as the next person, just don't spend more than we need to.

This means we can get more cruises in. We look for the bargain ones mostly, the next one was less than £800 each for a fortnight.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Muffinman - I purposely didn't mention AI as it can get a bit controversial :p

Likewise gratuities :rolleyes:

Never booked seats and always sat together, bar coming back from Barbados when DH sat behind me, and as it was a night flight we slept most of the way and TBH I get more conversation out of strangers than out of DH most of the time :p:D

I can make a pint of lager last all night :D

I have shopped around this time & gone to another cruise line & got a MUCH better deal than the prices we have been paying over the last few years with Thomson. Got the drink package, free safe, sailing from Southampton so no extra charges for extra KG of luggage, pre-booking flight seats etc; really looking forward to trying something new!

At last! Someone on the Thomson who thinks like me! We've booked Celebrity for next year, cheaper, upgrade, free AI. Bye bye Thomson!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At last! Someone on the Thomson who thinks like me! We've booked Celebrity for next year, cheaper, upgrade, free AI. Bye bye Thomson!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol @ Shot2bits ;)

As much as we have loved our holidays & time on Thomson Cruises, it is time for a change......