Best Conch Fritters in Fort Lauderdale?

skatermegs

My mom and I will be in Fort Lauderdale in June before our cruise, and I have yet to try conch fritters, despite my desire to do so. We will be staying at the Riverside, and I plan to take the water taxi for part of the day to explore the area. Can anyone recommend a place with great fritters that we could get to either from the hotel or the water taxi? My mom doesn't much like to walk. Also- I was looking at Gilbert's on 17th- is that too far from the water taxi? My mom loves burgers and key lime pie-so it seems like she would love it! And finally-what about Flip Flops on the water? I can't seem to find any reviews about it but it looks close to the water taxi.

Thanks!

Ft Lauderdale isn't exactly known for conch fritters. A few places have them, but don't get good reviews. Sheila's on E Commercial has them and they get good reviews, but it's not close to the hotel or water taxi. I can't give my personal opinion, as I can't eat conch.

Flip Flops is an interesting little place. Avoid it on the first Sunday of the month, unless you want to be in the middle of a VERY loud T-dance. It's on the water taxi route, but it's on the north line that you have to transfer to at the Gallery One hotel stop.

Coconuts is a great waterfront find between the Beach Place and Bahia Mar water taxi stops. You do have to walk a few blocks to get there, or just take a taxi 2.5 miles from your hotel.

A very popular burger joint is RokBurger. It's 2 blocks from the water taxi stop at Las Olas Riverfront.

Gilberts is about a mile from the Hilton Marina water taxi stop.

Docksiders Cafe at 15th St Fisheries has its own water taxi stop and is a cute little place to dine.

I haven't had any good conch fritters around here. I usually only get conch in the Bahamas.

That said, I completely agree with the suggestion for Rokburger in Himmarshee Village. Really cool restaurant and a beautiful little part of downtown. Himmarshee Public House and Tarpon Bend have fantastic food and Tarpon Bend has one of the best happy hours in town.

Taps is also very good.

http://www.DowntownHimmarshee.com

Edited by BlueHerons