Allure Review - September 28th - By A Smuggler

Enjoying your review and candor. Taking this exact trip on November 23rd. Planning to stay on the boat in Nassau. Have been there before and just not dying to do anything. At most we would walk to junkanoo also. Your post about the lady that kept sleeping in your room was awesome.

Debbie

Thanks....that lady has been sleeping in my room for 35 years now!

Oasis and Allure can't dock at Havensite, it would have to be dredged deeper. Royal does use Havensite for its other ships.

I wasn't aware of the depth issue....I know the Allure &Oasis has a 30 ft. draft. I would figured that Havensight would have been that deep. Thanks for your information!

Thank you for the review! Will continue to read as you go along. I am also on this route Nov 23. Not sure what to do about Nassau and my 12 yo for the Chicago show yet we do live in Chicago and the kids hear bad stuff everyday on the news here. Just try to avoid it on vacation. Appreciate the time you are taking to write about details we rarely hear about.

Barb

Thank you for the review! Will continue to read as you go along. I am also on this route Nov 23. Not sure what to do about Nassau and my 12 yo for the Chicago show yet we do live in Chicago and the kids hear bad stuff everyday on the news here. Just try to avoid it on vacation. Appreciate the time you are taking to write about details we rarely hear about.

Barb

Thanks for the kind remarks, Barb!

Here we are during Bernard's Tours of St. Martin. We had DJ as our guide. We have used Bernard's Tours several times since he goes to our favorite 2 beaches for stops. He stops at Orient Beach for a few hours and at Maho Beach where the big jets come in right over your head. I'll post a few pictures of the jet and airplanes we saw coming in. This is also where you get jet blasted when the planes are taking off if you want to stand next to the fence. I highly recommend Bernard's Tours. He provides soda, beer, and Rum Punch if desired. He had 3 bottles of Rum Punch. This is a little marina on the way to the French side of the island.

jpegs1-249.jpg

A village on the way. We were, I believe, on the French side.

jpegs1-251.jpg

Goats on a hillside near the urchin and shell guy on the way to Orient Bay.

jpegs1-253.jpg

jpegs1-255.jpg

The oldest house on St. Marteen.....it's survived many of the major hurricanes. It is still standing but not sure if anyone is living there.

jpegs1-270.jpg

Here's Orient Beach. Just a brief look at it. The water was magnificent....so crystal clear and such soft silky white sand. I really loved swimming here.

jpegs1-271.jpg

A ship that ran aground during a hurricane on St. Maarten. Had to take the picture from a moving van.

jpegs1-273.jpg

Here I took this shot of the fort overlooking Marigot, the French Capital on St. Maarten. It was a little shopping and restroom break. Some of our tour got food here. My wife got a soufle from the local bakery.

jpegs1-274.jpg

Motor scooters abound here on St. Maarten. Here was some locals riding by. I was walking back to the bus.

jpegs1-276.jpg

Here is the sign welcoming us back to the Dutch side. DJ, the tour guide said the Dutch are way more laid back in their lifestyle, and the French are more rigid in the way they treat everything. All the partying is done primarily back on the Dutch side.

jpegs1-277.jpg

At the border.....the French and Dutch sides.

jpegs1-278.jpg

jpegs1-279.jpg

This is where DJ said they dock the big yachts here in the winter. It's a pretty large open bay.

jpegs1-280.jpg

Here we are at Maho Beach waiting to get pictures of the jets and airplanes landing. I bought a Diet Coke, and sat in the hot sun, just waiting. Finally, we spotted one getting ready to land.

jpegs1-281.jpg

jpegs1-285.jpg

Thanks for the review! I'm sailing the Allure soon! Canada has actually issued a travel advisory/ warning to its citizens going into Nassau. Looks like some safety/theft issues there. I've done this port before and was debating on whether to get off the ship for such a short stay. Think I'll skip it this time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review!

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the review! I'm sailing the Allure soon! Canada has actually issued a travel advisory/ warning to its citizens going into Nassau. Looks like some safety/theft issues there. I've done this port before and was debating on whether to get off the ship for such a short stay. Think I'll skip it this time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes....after my encounter with the riff-raff there....I wouls stay on board!

Edited by sonicbuffalo

Back to the tour of St. Maarten....here's looking over the Dutch Capital of Phillipsburg, I believe.

jpegs1-318.jpg

Leaving St. Maarten.....until next time. We really enjoyed spending the day there....wished we could have stayed longer.

jpegs1-320.jpg

jpegs1-322.jpg

The Aqua Theater where all the high dive shows are performed. Great Shows!

jpegs1-324.jpg

More pictures from the Boardwalk....we loved eating frsh eggs at Johnny Rockets in the morning of sea days. Free for breakfast and usually not very big lines. We always arrived 15 minutes early (7:45 am, and always got an inside seat.

jpegs1-334.jpg

More Carousel horses on the Boardwalk. The ship was remarkably easy to get around. Very easy to get oriented.

jpegs1-335.jpg

jpegs1-336.jpg

All of us adults even rode the Carousel....big fun!

jpegs1-337.jpg

jpegs1-338.jpg

jpegs1-346.jpg

We talked to some people who ate at Rita's Cantina, and they said the food was awful. I wouldn't take the chance for a paying restaurant. I say don't eat there.

jpegs1-347.jpg

In the background of tis shot is Johnny Rocket's. Remember, free and great breakfasts on Sea days.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l521/sonicbuffalo/jpegs1-348.jpg

A few happy smiles from the crew....

jpegs1-349.jpg

Poncho Ginny

jpegs1-350.jpg

The Aft Elevators are decorated with wire mesh dresses....they look pretty cool, but are hard to photograph.

jpegs1-352.jpg

The Schooner Bar located n deck 6 above the Royal Promenade

jpegs1-354.jpg

Guest Services located on deck 5 in the Royal Promenade.

jpegs1-356.jpg

Little shops like this abound on The Royal Promenade.

jpegs1-357.jpg

Cafe Promenade was always good for late night snacks or anytime snacks.

jpegs1-358.jpg

The platform where the Cruise Director (Ken Rush) and other stood during parties. The Center of Action on the Promenade.

jpegs1-359.jpg

The Cupcake Shop....even if you're on a diet.

jpegs1-360.jpg

The Bow & Stern Restuarant. We stayed on the Starboard Side of the Lady Allure, and I recommend it as it seemed to dock closest to the dock so we could watch the late crazies running to catch the ship before it left. I loved our view. I can't really speak for the Port side.

jpegs1-361.jpg

The Booze Shop....that didn't get any of my money....I was a bootlegger....shame on me!

jpegs1-363.jpg

Sorrento's had great (ok, not great, but very good pizza for snacks. They also had 2 Coke machines which helped keep my cup filled up. I think Sorrento's had about the best pizza I've had on a ship, no kidding.

jpegs1-364.jpg

Some acrobat and juggler's statues decorating the Promenade.

jpegs1-365.jpg

jpegs1-366.jpg

Starbucks......

jpegs1-367.jpg

jpegs1-369.jpg

The Fine Jewelry Shop on the Royal Promenade.

jpegs1-370.jpg

Richard L. Priest, a police computer forensics expert, gave us a series of 4 or 5 lectures on cyber crime and the history of the computer. He was a very interesting speaker and spoke of the investigations of the Casey Anthony case, and the BTK killer.

jpegs1-371.jpg

My lovely wife about to sneak a snack at the Wipeout Cafe.

jpegs1-372.jpg

One of 2 Flowriders. I admit, I was chicken....it's for the tweens....and I wished we had these when I was a tween.

jpegs1-374.jpg

No matter where you go, there you are!

jpegs1-375.jpg