Power strips

Stanley

I've seen a couple of mentions on the board about taking a power strip on the cruise. Why would we need one? I don't want to go unprepared. I know there are a million ways to use duct tape. What will I use it for on a cruise. My husband will die when he sees my list of "must take".

I didn't pack anything like that. There is a power outlet by the vanity for a blow dryer....I have no idea what the duct tape is for, and I don't think I want to know. We had a wonderful cruise without it and did not see the need for any such items.

The power strip gives you multiple outlets for various electrical devices that you may have to operate or recharge batteries, etc.

Every cabin I have been in on our 4 Celebrity cruises had only one single outlet near the cabin desk and one light duty outlet built into the housing of the bathroom hair dryer.

Jubilee 1991 Solar Eclipse

Century FO 1996 E Carib

Mercury FO 1998 W Carib

Galaxy SS 2000 Alaska IP

Infinity FV 2002 S Carib

Horizon HS 3/05 W Carib

David is right, there is only one outlet. If you will need your own hairdryer (some of the ships are NOT good) a curling iron, battery re-charger or anything else that needs plugging in, you will need a power strip!

Duct tape is good for--the hem of a dress if you tear it out, curtins that don't "meet" or in my case last time--we hit some REALLY ROUGH seas & our sliding door wouldn't lock properly & kept banging all night--duct tape--- taped it back & presto, a great night's sleep until the maintenance people came the next day!

We always take an extention cord & power strip, duct tape & clothes pins--wet clothes can blow off the balcony when the ship is moving--clothes pins secure them to the chairs!! icon_wink.gif

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

It really is amazing about the tape & what you can find uses for it while cruising!!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

And you can buy small packets of duct tape (5 to 15 feet, I think) that lay flat and don't take up much room in your suitcase. They have them at all your upscale retail establishments, like Walmart.

Duct tape is good for emergency repairs in dozens of situations-- clothing tears, loose hems, damaged luggage, broken straps and handles, taping down your extension cord so you don't trip over it.

I just got off the Infinity and by the desk there were 4 outlets...on one side they were the 2 "normal" US ones, and on the other side they were the 2 bigger I guess European ones. Didn't look to see what was in the bathroom, but the 2 by the desk were plenty for what we needed. Has anyone ever looked behind the nightstands to where the lamps are plugged in? I wonder if there are extra outlets back there.

We couldn't get behind the nightstands. In fact, one of the drawers of one of the nightstands was apparently not really a drawer. But we did take the power strip and an extension cord and were glad we had done so. Plugged in at the desk (aka vanity) -- it worked quite well for hair dryer and other small items.

I can't think that a heating pad would be a problem -- lots of people really need them, some more often than others.

Infinity may have more outlets than Galaxy, and I'm sure different cabins are arranged differently. We had an oceanview (no veranda) cabin, just for comparison.

Never did find any flat packets of duct tape but I haven't been in a Walmart in a while and didn't see any at the elite store I have been in recently (Target). icon_wink.gif I'm sure we'll find some and certainly hope the next cruise isn't as far in the future as the time between the first two.

S

S&J

8-19 July 2002 Celebrity Galaxy

Dec 1990 Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress

warmwinds,

you are right, when we were in our FV cabin on the Infinity, there were 2 US 110V plugs over the desk and 2 European style plugs as well.....Pretty sure that there was only 1 plug in the dryer housing though.....

Jubilee 1991 Solar Eclipse

Century FO 1996 E Carib

Mercury FO 1998 W Carib

Galaxy SS 2000 Alaska IP

Infinity FV 2002 S Carib

Horizon HS 3/05 W Carib

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really do appreciate it. I would like to mention that a friend of mine who cruises said that duct tape is good for fastening bubble wrap or anything else that may have been wrapped around a fragile souvenier that might be bought at one of the stops. I like the one about taping the curtains together. I should travel with duct tape all the time because we always seem to get a room where the drapes don't quite close. Thanks again.

Archived