Speciality restaurants

Blodders70

Hello,

It's my first cruise coming up, and we're going to the Caribbean on the Azura on December 27th. We'd like to try out a speciality restaurant, probably Sindhu, but I'm not sure if we should book now or wait til we're on board. We have a couple of kiddies, so not knowing the lay of the land and how things work re kids club etc, how flexible is the booking system for these restaurants?

TIA x

I have never known the speciality restaurants to be fully booked so I would wait until you are on board. They sometimes have special offers on also that you may be able to take advantage of. Also note that on formal nights, the menu in the main restaurant is much better than other nights.

Menus here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

You dont say what age your children are but the kids club operates in the evening until quite late. For the under fives there is a night nursery.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/childrens_club

There is a childrens tea served around 5pm in the self service which always seems popular. They can go to the kids club after which leaves you free for the evening if this is what you want. Alternatively, they can join you in the main restaurant. It is quite flexible to do whatever you, or your children, want

Brian

Edited by BrianI

We ate at Sindu a couple of weeks ago it was all delicious. would def recommend & will eat there again.

We went to the cookery demo on one of the sea days, & the chefs were from the speciality restaurants. We booked after that. As soon as the demo ended they were encouraging you to book.

They also have 2 different menus & were able to tell you which menu was on which days

I wouldn't book before getting on board.

Edited by fue-fue

We've experienced completely different scenarios.

On Azura we couldn't get anything booked for love nor money. The whole cruise was booked for both specialty restaurants. They put us on some reserve list but nothing came to fruition.

One year late, on the Ventura, we went to both restaurants twice and they were actually quite empty.

Gorgeous food. Excellent service.

I would say ( kids aside as I don't know what babysitting services are on offer), why not book? Gives you something wonderful to look forward to.

Laura xxxxx

Thank you everyone for your responses!

After reading Laurakdy's response, I'm tempted to book. I would be very disappointed to miss the opportunity to eat there because my partner and I love that type of food.

Do you pay if you book before you go, or on the night? If you book beforehand, do you pay a surcharge if you cancel?

Sorry, more questions!:rolleyes:

I think it is very hot and miss whether the restaurants will be fully booked or not unfortunately.

But if you like to dine at a certain time, I would recommend pre- booking to get your choice. You do pay when booking but I don't think there is a cancellation charge. Maybe best to check on that aspect .

When on Azura earlier this year we pre- booked Seventeen (XV11) but then changed the day and time when on board as we preferred the other menu ( they change the menu part way through). But then we were able to book Sindhu whilst on board without any problem. Both restaurants were superb and well worth paying the extra.

You can't pre book for the Glass House but can book on board for their tasting menu. Another lovely place to eat especially lunch time.

Enjoy!

We have sailed twice on Azura and both times have used Sindhu, it's a realy nice restaurant. We waited until we were on board as there are two different menus nd they change from day to day. As the wife does not like certain foods we checke out the menus the first day on bord then ent down on the first full sea day nd booked a table on a day when the menu that we wanted was on, both times there ere tables tht ere empty. Hope that this is of some help also on the first occasion the wife could not decide between two of the starters and asked if she could try two half portions, the reply was yes, result was she got two full starters, the staff are brilliant,

Edited by Paul1924

East on Ventura is the equivalent and last January, in the Carribean, was good. As was the food and wine tasting dinner in the Glass House, both providing vegetarian food for us.

No problem for us booking once on board.

I thought East was fabulous. They did a special offer for the first night (free bottle of wine I think, maybe a reduction as well) so they don't seem to be snowed under. Did visit the White restaurant (which I didn't really rate) and that wasn't that full either. This was in school holidays which might make a difference.