Star Mexico - 11:30AM Departure Flight too Early?

nycruise

Seems like we always run into flights before noon and than the next flight is at 3:30 in the afternoon. Last month we had to hang around in the Seattle airport for 4 hours after our Alaska cruise.

Do you think an 11:30 Flight at LAX is too early? Ship is scheduled to arrive in San Pedro at 7am. If we get tags from the ship for an early flight, hoping we can make the flight. Carrying our bags off for an express departure is not an option.

All opinions are welcomed.

Thanks. :confused:

11:30 would definitely be pushing it. For LAX I wouldn't book a flight before 1PM, especially if you can't carry off your own bags. Once the ship arrives in San Pedro, everyone on the ship has to clear customs (turn in the actual form and show ID's) before they allow anyone to leave. Occassionally they have to clear the crew as well, which adds another hour or so. I'm not sure how often they do that. What type of ground transportation are you going to use? Some times there is a wait to get a cab. Depending on what day your ship comes in and traffic it could be an hour or more ride to get to LAX. LAX itself is like a zoo and will take time to get there.

If you have to take a late flight NCL does offer tours that will take you to the airport later so you won't have to wait at the airport all afternoon.

Just my opinion....Of course I'm one of those people who are always early to everything and hates to be late.

You never really know when the government will decide to clear the ship. On the Dawn Princess there were lot of issues before they cleared the ship at 10am!!!!! Many angry people missed flights.

If you have to make a connection, you will have much less stress if you book a later flight. I always toy with the idea of an earlier flight, but that particular one has changed my mind.

LAX is one airport I would not book an early flight for. Customs usually takes a long time. Also, did you arrange your own way to the airport? The cruise transfers take awhile, as they wait for the buses to fill up before leaving for the airport.

If you do not take advantage of expres debarkation, forget it. We got off the Star in March around 11am...immigration was so slow because they were training new officers. Then you have to deal with the security checkpoints at LAX which could be very slow. Save yourself the anguish of trying to make an early flight. Book after 1pm.

I don't know what month you are cruising, but we get fog in the winter which often delays cruise ships. I agree with previous posts, 11:30am is too early. It can take over an hr just to go thru airport security once you get there. I would not risk missing the plane. I'd rather be early to the airport and relax. Happy Sailing!

Vavip,

Shouldn't be a problem if you can carry your own bags off and do the express debark. Then you will be the first off, and won't be searching for your luggage.

For anyone who is interested Long Beach airport is actually closer to San Pedro, and so much easier to get in and out of. We were able to get great rates on Jet Blue, I'm not sure which other airlines fly into Long Beach.

For anyone who is interested Long Beach airport is actually closer to San Pedro, and so much easier to get in and out of. We were able to get great rates on Jet Blue, I'm not sure which other airlines fly into Long Beach.

Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, America West Airlines and JetBlue have service to Long Beach Airport.

To the OP, if all goes well, an 11:30 flight might be okay. But that's a big IF. The ship has to return on time; you have to clear customs without any unusual delays; you have to hope that there aren't any inconsiderate passengers who haven't settled their accounts on time; and then you have to hope for no traffic delays on the way to the airport. Too many variables that can go wrong. I'd rather book a later flight and avoid all the stress of worrying about my flight. To me, spending the extra time in the airport is no big deal. I read a book, do a crossword, watch a little tv while nursing a drink in the bar, explore the airport, people-watch, etc.

If you do end up booking the early flight, you will probably want to do the Express Disembarkation, which requires that you physically carry all your bags off the ship by yourself. This would allow you to be one of the first to get off the ship.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise! I sailed this itinerary on the Star back in March and had a very enjoyable cruise.

What day of the week is the ship due to return to San Pedro? If it is a Saturday, or Sunday, you might be OK. Weekday traffic is a nightmare and you probably would not make it.

Long Beach airport is a little closer (about 7 miles closer) and a much nicer airport to deal with. I would check to see if that is doable.

The flight out of LA is at 12:40PM on a Monday. The ship docks at 7AM and hopefully there won't be any problems. We will carry the bags off and try to get off quickly. I was going to fly from Raleigh into Long Beach for $289 until one evening the airlines started fighting each other and RDU to LAX went down to $207 so I grabbed it over the Long Beach price.

Traffic on a Monday will be a bear, and LAX security lines have been horrible lately, especially the American terminals.

If you have planned to schedule a bus transfer from the ship, I would say forget it. If you're doing a taxi, then you might make it with no troubles IF you are walking off the ship with your luggage. The bus transfers are notoriously slow to load, and if you aren't on the first wave, you could be really screwed.

Please note that once they call walk-offs (first), if you miss that window you could have additional inconvenience trying to lug your stuff off the ship with others exiting with only hand luggage.

12:40 should be ok though.

We signed up for Express, got into a taxi immediately, arrived at the airport a little after 9, and had plenty of time. It is a risk you take, but if the flight is much more convenient for you, I'd take the risk. ( I wouldn't risk cutting it close and missing a cruise, of course.) I figure the worst that can happen if you miss the flight is that you get a later one and maybe pay a small fee.

I was also looking at an 11:30 am flight, but my TA said that the cancellation insurance would not be valid as I would not be leaving myself enough time to make the airport.

I suggest an afternoon flight or even spend the night in beautiful California & take a flight the next day.:D

Archived