Sad

uncleg

Had to cancel cruise, my room mate could not get time off, her company changed vacation policy and did not let employees know until after we had booked. Glad we bought the insurance. This is why prefer raveling solo. :(

Had to cancel cruise, my room mate could not get time off, her company changed vacation policy and did not let employees know until after we had booked. Glad we bought the insurance. This is why prefer raveling solo. :(

So she booked it before getting her time off approved? That does suck, but sometimes it's better to get the time approved before booking a trip. My hubby always gets his approved before I book anything. You just don't know for sure if it will be approved or not. :(

Is there not any other time she can get off and you guys just re-book for another time??

Ok so didn't you just go solo this time instead of cancelling? Sorry to hear your friend couldn't go. That sucks.

It would have been nice to have a little more information other than cancelling. When was the cruise to be, was it a 3 nighter or a week etc.

So she booked it before getting her time off approved? That does suck, but sometimes it's better to get the time approved before booking a trip. My hubby always gets his approved before I book anything. You just don't know for sure if it will be approved or not. :(

Is there not any other time she can get off and you guys just re-book for another time??

She said it was booked BEFORE the vacation policy changed. In a case like this, her employer should have made exception as long as she had proof of the booking.

I book about a year out, and my boss doesn't want my vacation request until about a week before I go. So (and she has cruised with me twice) if she says no, then I have to go up one more level, and if they say no, then I am unemployed. I am using all my vacation time this next cruise, to be home with DH a few days before I leave him home alone. He lost his vacation time when he had hip surgery (which he scheduled after we paid off the cruise, and would get no money back) He's doing well by the way, but has no time off.

Edited by marshhawk

She said it was booked BEFORE the vacation policy changed. In a case like this, her employer should have made exception as long as she had proof of the booking.

She never said her time was approved though. She only states the vacation policy changed. Maybe the OP will clarify for us.

Although I agree about the employer making an exception, they are not required nor do they have to do so.

Edited by jennmaybe

It would have been nice to have a little more information other than cancelling. When was the cruise to be, was it a 3 nighter or a week etc.

Yeah a little more information is needed. If the OP us used to sailing solo, why not make some adjustments and just go? As for the employer, I wonder if they were aware plans for this trip were well on the way prior to the policy change.

I work for a municipality, and we are not allowed to submit vacation requests until the month before the requested vacation. I usually book out about a year. Luckily, my department is only 2 people, so I just make sure my partner knows when I'm planning, and he schedules some other time. Many companies are cutting back on time off, and restructuring existing policies to make themselves more profitable. Sadly, it does affect the employees hard. It's too bad the OP couldn't have traveled solo (which they state they prefer anyway), or found another friend to cruise with.

I am also unable to book summer weeks off until January or February of the same year.

I had two booked without approval. I just got approval on one (yay!) but I won't know until March if I will be going on my June cruise to Iceland and Norway. But if I had waited until March to try booking it, there wouldn't have been anything left.

Sometimes life is like this and we have to deal. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, OP. I hope you get to cruise somewhere, somehow, at some point instead.

It was a 7 Day on Sunshine Feb 28,2015. I can't swing full price myself this year due to new vehicle purchase and other household emergencies. I will try for a two week out rate for same cruise and go solo. She did put in her time off as normal and was approved by local office, meanwhile corporate changed the vacation policy without notifying local offices, no one knew until she was rejected by corporate. She has gone all the way to the top, but they will not budge and in this economy you pretty much have to take what your employer does to keep your job.

This would have been her first cruise, very disappointing.

I thought insurance would cover her half and you could still go by paying your half. Is that not true? Do you have to cancel the entire cabin to get insurance to cover her expenses?

Perhaps insurance would clear things up if it was cancelled just before the cruise. But, the cruise is still 4 months away, right? We don't know how far into the payment process she is. Whatever each has invested should be returned as they are not yet in penalty period. Going solo is nice, but has drawbacks. I'm going on a cheapo soon and solo, other expenses as gas, tolls and parking fall just on me.

I book about a year out, and my boss doesn't want my vacation request until about a week before I go. So (and she has cruised with me twice) if she says no, then I have to go up one more level, and if they say no, then I am unemployed. I am using all my vacation time this next cruise, to be home with DH a few days before I leave him home alone. He lost his vacation time when he had hip surgery (which he scheduled after we paid off the cruise, and would get no money back) He's doing well by the way, but has no time off.

Hey, Ma'am; I'm in the same shape as Catmando, I was out for 11 months with my hip, Used over 500 hours of leave, so when I went back to work there wasn't much left. I've been building it up so now I have enough time for my Fascination cruise on the 25th of this month!:) Be Blessed! Mikey<><

When I put in my notification, it was approved. BUT with the caveat of "if we get an award we may have to cancel your approved leave". I decided then and there that if it came to that, I wouldn't get upset, I wouldn't get mad. I'd simply quit the day before I left for vacation. This company (which is small) has been known to jack with peoples leave and schedules. I am an employee not an indentured servant. I don't think that it is fair that if I give enough notice, and you approve it that I can't be followed thru on. Thankfully I was able to go back to my old company before it got that point. The old company had no problem with me being in the office for 3 weeks and then out for 6 days. :)

My boss knows I do everything in advance...I booked a spring break cruise for 2015...I did my leave at the end of August...got my approval along with a note from the boss which just proves her awesome sense of humor..the note said..."In the future please try not to wait until the last minute! It's hard on the boss!" :D ROFL... I am sorry your friends company changed the policy..that really stinks they couldn't and wouldn't be nice about it.

I'm glad I work for a company that will work with me on things like this. I tell my boss when I book, even if it's a year out. I remind him a couple of months out and officially put in for the time off. This cruise, we suddenly found ourselves seriously short handed at work (lost three people in an eight person work group). It started about a month ago and will most likely run a couple more months. My boss never even suggested that I cancel, instead working with me to make sure I'm caught up on everything that needs to be done, and finding someone to cover for me should a work related emergency come up while I am gone.