A/C Problem on Golden this week.

atdahop

I was on the cruise just before it, and some staff were already concerned about it. At the risk of being flamed, I am surprised that Princess booked this charter. It wasn't consistent with their image. Carnival does the same ports, so I'm surprised they went with Princess.

Perhaps Princess is trying to cultivate a non-traditional demographic for charters if they can't get them on regular cruises?

The amount of revenue generated by these charters, especially in bar sales, far exceeds what they could typically get over multiple 7 night cruises. They generate approximately 5-7 days worth of bar revenue in a 24hr period. It's not about attracting a different demographic it's about money pure and simple. It's VERY unlikely that many passengers going on the Groove cruise would book a regular sailing on Princess. Even with a group,like Atlantis the amoun of spillover bookings is likely minimal. These guests are cruise with princess because of the Charter operator, not because of the cruise line.

The Atlantis cruise did have some late nights (with music in calypso pool til 6 am some nights) and more in skywalkers later than that (which is pretty isolated from the rest of the ship) -- but I heard the groove cruise was going 24x7. So granted the staff was a little worn out after the groove cruise and still off their normal routine with Atlantis. (Food was served nearly 24x7 in the buffet).

Speaking of drink revenue.... the pours on mixed drinks were exactly one shot and doubles cost twice as much. Stuff like that makes charter passengers leery of a cruise line. Loosen the wrist a little bit and everyone is much happier... and probably buys more drinks!

We were booked on a cruise on the Grand Princess about a year ago. Turned out it was a Golden-Oldies Cruise. We were packed and ready to go :) leaving on Saturday. Friday night the telephone rang. It was Princess. They made a Godfather offer. You know, one you just can't refuse!! They bought us out, and made all the rearrangements for a RollOver Offer.

After reading more about the Golden Oldies cruise, I was glad that we didn't go on it. Hermans Hermits, Chubby Checker- I think I've outgrown that genré.

We are having a good experience on the Golden now. As mentioned we are experiencing no a/c issues. We are loving our Emarald deck mini-suite. The weather has been beautiful. The only issue that we have noticed is that the covered pool and jacuzzis have been closed (no water). I was told during the previous cruise that the pool was covered and turned into a dance floor. Whether it is open tomorrow or not is questionable. But again, the weather has been great so not a biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

odd, we were talking to the engineering person the morning of the 13th, as they were disassembling the dance floor rigging. He was adamant that the pool would be in use that afternoon for incoming pax. I didn't believe him as I noted hundreds of the small blue tile having been ripped up when the "matting" (lining) was pulled up. Looks like I was right.

Hope you got to use it before the end of your cruise.

well, it's not fair to compare Seabourn to the mass market lines, as the product is not designed to be comparable.

That said, wow, I hope you're an easy going type. Or you better bring some meds. You will not be happy.

I'm easy going... and knew what I was signing up for. There are several things I've seen on Princess that I'd like to see Seabourn (a sister line) work in - Vines, the Sanctuary - and certainly appreciate the differences between them.

In mass market, I only have NCL to compare to. It's a tie between them depending on which feature we are discussing.

The amount of revenue generated by these charters, especially in bar sales, far exceeds what they could typically get over multiple 7 night cruises. They generate approximately 5-7 days worth of bar revenue in a 24hr period. It's not about attracting a different demographic it's about money pure and simple. It's VERY unlikely that many passengers going on the Groove cruise would book a regular sailing on Princess. Even with a group,like Atlantis the amoun of spillover bookings is likely minimal. These guests are cruise with princess because of the Charter operator, not because of the cruise line.

EXACTLY! On the charter, there were only 12 Elite/Platinum members combined. 99% of the guests had never been on Princess.

• 3 weeks later...
EXACTLY! On the charter, there were only 12 Elite/Platinum members combined. 99% of the guests had never been on Princess.

But that number changes dramatically when you look at Celebrity/Royal. Part of that is the sheer number of charters that Atlantis has done on RCCL/Celebrity ships, but there is strong effort by RCCL to get regular sailings from Atlantis pax. This includes numerous posters in the CREW sections outlining just how valuable these charter guests are, and specific reference to repeat sailings on Non-Charter cruises