Stingray Adventure on Castaway Cay

davidmbfonz

We've been planning our trip for 2.5 years now and can't believe it's less than two weeks away! This forum has been invaluable to us, and a really nice way to keep the excitement building. We still have one question that I can't seem to find a direct answer to. I'm hoping someone with recent Disney sailing experience can answer this one:

On Castaway Cay, we plan on putting our 3-year-old in the on-island child program temporarily while I go with my wife and two older sons to the Stingray Adventure. We made reservations for my wife and my two sons. I would like to be able to stay on the shore nearby and just take pictures/video. Will they allow this, or am I going to have to pay for me too?

Thanks in advance!

- David

Disney Castaway Cay is free as a shore excursion (for you) and they will be serving food shore side as well. For more information check deeper on Cruise Critic or visit the Official Disney Cruise line website. Castaway Cay invites cruisers to enjoy balmy tropical weather and world-class recreation on a Bahamian oasis with signature Disney hospitality. From your onboard stateroom, be sure to check out the Castaway Cay-vents activities schedule. After disembarking to Castaway Cay, you can obtain beach towels and use your convenient Key to the World cards for retail transactions including shore side purchases and rentals and even maybe a massage for some one :) Oh and while your there send somebody a Post Card! Castaway Cay Post Office The post office on Disney's Castaway Cay is operated by the Bahamian authorities and may not be open for business each day that our ship visits the island. If the post office is closed, Guests can still mail their letters and post cards by utilizing the drop box outside of the post office!

Personally for me were four great things a massage, food, Pelican Plunge and Spring a Leak!

Swimming distance from shore is the new 2,400-square-foot floating platform—adorned with nautical flotsam and jetsam. At this water-play area and platform, which celebrates the island's native pelicans, take a ride on one of the 2 twisting water slides and end up in the refreshing lagoon. Or, get soaked by the giant "bucket dump" that delivers hundreds of gallons of water on eagerly awaiting bathers beneath as well as Spring-a-Leak where I Cooled off at the brand-new, 2,400-square-foot water play area and find yourself immersed in what appears to be the remnants of a washed-away beach dwelling. The watery fun begins as you enter the storm-ravaged structure. Be greeted by dripping pipes, broken plumbing and hissing misters that have been exposed and twisted by the tropical tempest that wiped out the original structure.

A camera with video as a back up and your Key to the World are a MUST! That's all you'll need! Have you checked out the cool lanyards that are available on Cruise Critic's store for your Key to the World! Nifty!

Have a Magical Vacation!

Edited by MYCRUISEVACATIONS
spelling and word order

Thanks for sharing this info, but it's my understanding that the beach area where the stingray adventure is conducted is 'roped off' in some way. Anyone else know more specifically about whether I need to make a reservation for myself (although I don't plan to 'pet' the stingrays).

Thanks!

Back in 2008, my 10 yr old did the excursion. I attended the safety talk in the pavilion, then stood on the beach while he went in the water. I took pictures from the beach. If you have any zoom at all, you will be fine. The only issue is your family will have their back to you.

We were at Castaway Cay just 4 short days ago ....sigh....

The stingray adventure is a barrier/fenced off area but is visible from the beach.

My hubby and son had rented a water bike and while they were out I watched as CM's tried to coax a rogue stingray back under the barrier :)

We were there September 2013 and DH and DS did the stingray excursion. As a previous poster said, the stingray area is fenced off. I was able to walk around freely and take pictures of them inside the stingray area (I didn't purchase the excursion). DH and DS were booked on the last group of the day, but I really don't think that made a difference. My DD (didn't pay for her either) was on the sand inside the stingray excursion playing right where they were feeding the stingrays. I'll attach some pictures ...

3T1A3923_zpsa578f597.jpg

3T1A3957_zps27c7e6c6.jpg

3T1A3969_zpsa967aad9.jpg