Royal Princess Enclave Review

kmhkmb

Just got off the Royal today and thought I would post a review of the Enclave since it was one of the highlights of my cruise. I LOVED using the Enclave and miss it already!!!

To give you the context: it was the 7 day Canada New England cruise which was very port intensive – there was only 1 sea day. I would estimate the average pax age on this particular cruise was early to mid sixties. I am 42.

My sister and I purchased a 7 day pass for $179 (they also threw in a container of scrub and a loofah to use in the Hammam). We spent about an hour in the Enclave each day of the cruise – so cost per use was $25.57.

We went straight to the Enclave to purchase our passes right after we boarded since we knew that there were limited passes available (we have gold and ruby status) – but not sure that this was necessary (we got passes 1&2). We asked on the second day and they told us that they sold all 40 passes – but we are not sure that was case given how quiet things were (it wasn’t uncommon for us to be the only ones there) and also since we rarely saw the same people twice. We also saw the attendants giving some people a sales tour about midway through the week – could have been for a day pass though.

I won’t go into the details of what is included since it is described on the Princess website – instead I’ll focus on the experience and the benefits.

We found that using the Enclave was a perfect way to end our day. We got into a routine of having dinner at 5:30, going to the 7 pm show and then heading to the Enclave afterwards (the Enclave is open until 10 pm).

We were really active on this cruise – according to my pedometer we walked an average of 15-20 km per day (approx. 9-12 miles) due to long hikes and city walks in the ports (and always taking the stairs on the ship). This is much more than I’m used to – typically I walk/run about 8 km (5 miles) on weekdays and about 12 km per day on weekends (7.5 miles) and yet I never had sore muscles. I think using the Enclave worked out the knots in my muscles each night and allowed me to push myself. I initially scoffed when one of the attendants told us that using the Enclave would be like having a massage everyday – but I think that may be true to some extent – it really did alleviate stiffness. There were also great psychological benefits – it really helped me to unwind and dare I say it – to actually escape completely! Particularly when resting on one of the water beds – total bliss!!

A couple of tips – we didn’t get the greatest orientation to the process when we bought our passes – perhaps because we arrived before they were officially giving tours and I don't think we got their normal tour guide. We eventually found out that it is best to do one of the steam rooms/saunas and then rest and let your body cool down before doing the next steam room or sauna (heat, rest, repeat). We typically finished with the hydrotherapy pool. After using the pool we would stretch out on one of the water beds with one of their wonderfully chilled washcloths resting on our eyes – it was very refreshing.

It is good to drink a lot of water throughout and after the process – we typically grabbed 2 glasses on the way into the Enclave area and another glass on the way out.

I found that quite often the sandals that were available in the ladies change room were all way too small for me – the first couple of times I hunted down an attendant and asked for larger sandals but eventually I just started getting them on my own – they store them in the supply closet (to the right of the door to the hallway when you are exiting the change room). I appreciated the comfy robes they give you to wear as you walk from the change room to the Enclave.

This might be obvious to others but we didn’t figure it out until the third day (it wasn’t explained to us) – but the red watch like bracelets they give you to access the Enclave (each time you go you hand in your cruise card and they give you a bracelet) also lock the lockers in the change room – just hold the bracelet up to the lock.

We discovered that going to the Enclave first thing (it opens at 8 am) wasn't the greatest because the sauna and steam rooms hadn’t really warmed up to their proper temps. We also discovered that sometimes the jets in the hyrdrotherapy pool turn off. To activate the chair/back bench jets you press and hold the button on the wall (while you are in the pool near the bench at the back). The button for the shoulder jets at the front the pool are located on the deck (you can reach them from inside the pool).

As I mentioned before the Enclave seemed really underutilized during my cruise – perhaps because it was a port-intensive cruise or perhaps we just used it during the non-busy times. Several times we were the only ones using it and the busiest we ever saw it was 5 people using the space at one time (on the sea day) – so getting one of the loungers was never an issue. The only thing we ever waited for was one of the water beds which I completely understand – once you lie down on one of those you don’t want to get up!

For me it was TOTALLY worth the price – it really enhanced my cruise! If you have any questions please feel free to ask! :D

Edited by kmhkmb
  • Thanks 2

IMHO

This is the way all the Thermal Suites are.....I use the Thermal Suites on each cruise I take....its one of the reasons why I cruise......The added difference in the Enclave seems to be the pool.

My issue all along has been price. Seeing how the price has dropped $20 from a Princess quoted price Friday of $199 for 7 days shows they are realizing the price is too high. $25 a day for something on other ships that is FREE I.e. Sauna/Steam room....takes some getting used to. Looks like a $199 plus tax fee should be the cost.

Its about COST....you'll take a sauna/steam...shower and lay on warm tiled loungers in a quiet atmosphere. If you go once a day....not sailaway and of course not the last day. That comes to $26.12 (based on 5% tax was add to total)

Is it worth it? Its a personal choice......maybe--maybe not

IMHO.......NICE to read a review.....but same thing we knew 5months ago

Its always been about PRICE....we have to spend all this our obc's on the ship, so is it the Enclave or ALL the other things youll pay for onboard

Mine, will be a game day decision. ....One thing I know, I wont be running there as some will. I will check it out and if I believe it is worth $26.12 est per day......Ill see some of you there :)

The Thermal Suites on the Caribbean Princess on our 4 day cruise was quoted at $39....thats $10 per day

Edited by blkspy

Anyone know how much a day pass on the Royal is?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't believe there are day passes for the Enclave.

We had twice paid for the Thermal Suite for a seven day cruise, once $130/couple and once $99/person and twice had complimentary access staying in a full suite. We had said we would never pay for the TS again because we didn't get enough value, basically using only the heated loungers. However, when we toured the Enclave on the Regal the hydrotherapy pool looked so inviting that we paid the $229/person for the 12 day cruise. The Grand Med is a port intensive cruise with a lot of walking in port. We walked over 25,000 steps one day and were over 15,000 steps on almost every port day. The pool was a wonderful way to relax, either right after we got back or later in the evening. We were there about an hour every day and helped us recover for the next full day. They only sold a limited amount of passes and all but six were sold on embarkation day. However, it was never crowded when we were there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the positive review and I could not agree with you more. DD and I were on the Royal this past March and loved the Enclave. We would go in the afternoon, were it would be more crowded. With you going at the end of the day, I would not think many people would use it then as they would be at dinner or a show.

Going to be on the Regal next month and looking forward to trying the Enclave then, it is one of the things I am looking forward to most on our cruise with DH.

Again, thank your for sharing your wonderful experience. :p

• 4 years later...

I have never sailed Princess but will very soon for the first time.  I’ve sailed Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, and NCL. I LOVE the thermal suite.  In my opinion it is the best luxury you can award yourself.  On Celebrity the thalassotherapy pool was in general use area. On Carnival it is in the suite itself.  40 passes for 2000+ people is not a lot.  The cost or up charges for cruising anymore have gotten out of control.  No longer are you treated all as one class once you leave your suite/ cabin. It’s about paying extra for a lot of what you want.  Up charging for meals, coffee, entertainment, adult only areas, pools, and sometimes theater shows is getting a little too Disneyland like nowadays.  I think the thermal suite is reasonable to charge extra for because it’s not necessary.  However, adult only areas, food, and  entertainment should never be up charged as this is why we all cruise.  It’s not like $1000 for an inside cabin is a great value when excursions and all other services mentioned are not all included.  BTW even on Celebrity which s a higher class than Princess, does not charge for adult only areas.  Also as stated the thalassotherapy  pool was for general use.  Something to consider. 

Edited by Dawniegirl19

• 3 years later...