Passport rules may change

smeyer418

I totally agree abount mot wanting to carry around my birth certificate.

Also, I got my paasport when my husband and I got married because we were going on a cruise for our honeymoon. I did ever have plans of needing it again. But this year we went on another cruise and have booked another for 1/8/06. My mother got her first passport 3 years ago to go to Europe with her friend thinking it was a once in a lifetime trip. Now they are planning another trip to Europe in the next couple of years. You just never know what lays ahead of you in the future.....especially when a passport is good for 10 years.

I agree that having a passport to travel is the best way to go. I'm not bashing anyone who doesn't, that's your choice, but I find some of the reasons not to get one seem illogical to me.

One poster had a family of 5 and said that they didn't plan to travel out side of the country again. In the next ten years you are sure you won't need to travel outside the country? If your kids are 10 or 12 now they will be 20 or 22 in ten years. Are you sure they won't be travelling?

At 14 my daughter went to France with her team for a sports competition.I didn'y know when she was 12 that this would happen but it made it easier for her to have her passport already in hand. I just think that ten years is a long time to be sure none of you will be out of the country again.

I think that the advice for the family to spread the purchases out over the year is a good one. Just like saving up a little at a time for thew trip getting the passports one at a time will make the total bill less daunting.

Don't feel too bad though about the price. In Canada it costs $85 for a passport that is good for 5 years. Even then it is only actually usable for 4 1/2 years because you are advised not to leave the country with a passport that is within 6 months of expiring.

Last, if you are going to get one don't wait till right before it is required and don't go a couple of months before spring break in your local. The lineups will be horrendous at those times.

Happy travels:)

Its not just ID but its also proof of US citizenship...get jammed up in some foreign country and you just might have to prove it...I don't think a birth certificate will make it..

Ok, don't shoot me if I ask this and it's not correct.....

Did I read back a few posts that everyone was going to "have" to have a passport?? What about kids? I may be wrong but I think I remember seeing where if I apply for a passport for my daughters their father has to approve it since we are divorced??? What if he disagrees???

Did I read back a few posts that everyone was going to "have" to have a passport?? What about kids? I may be wrong but I think I remember seeing where if I apply for a passport for my daughters their father has to approve it since we are divorced??? What if he disagrees???

Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. I am not sure that the non-custodial parent can object. I think you can ask the State Department to put some hold on it. It has to do with pople taking children out of the country in violation of a court order or to take them to aplace that the spouse will have difficulty getting them back. The US State Department website I am sure has more info on this.

This is one where I would go right to the U.S. State Department for an answer rather than relying on one of us here to give an answer. The law is there to protect one parent from fleeing the country with the kids to deny the other access to them. Wheither or not you have full legal custody or it is shared with your ex may play into it but I don't know.

Again, please go to the source to make sure you have the correct information. A lot of us know just enough law to be dangerous.

1. I can't imagine anyone resisting getting a passport for all the ideas already expressed. My mom (79 and hardly ever traveling) just realized hers had expired and renewed it. My sister lives in Rome, and she figures she just might decide to go sometime if she feels up to it.

2. I don't think you need one to move around EU countries, contrary to a previous post. However, of course, as an American, you'd need one to GET to an EU country! But you can ride trains from say France to Spain or Italy without showing docs.

3. My (brand new, grrr!) passport was stolen in Rome in 1997 and I got a new one at the Embassy there. The expiration date on the laminated first page is Mar. 1998. When you get a provisional passport overseas, it's good for one year and you have to have it updated (that's not the official word, but I don't remember it) when you get home. You have to flip to page 24 to see the update info and new expiration date. Guess how many (out of 10) officials who look at my passport's front page actually flip to page 24!!! Including the airport "security" and the US officials at airports. While you are thinking, I'll tell you that I travel a lot, including overseas, several times a year. Ok, the answer is about 2/10. Are you surprised? I'm surprised every time it happens (9/11 made no difference.) I'm always MORE suprised when the person does check, and give them a mental congratulations for job well done.

Anyone else have this situation?

1. I can't imagine anyone resisting getting a passport for all the ideas already expressed. My mom (79 and hardly ever traveling) just realized hers had expired and renewed it. My sister lives in Rome, and she figures she just might decide to go sometime if she feels up to it.

2. I don't think you need one to move around EU countries, contrary to a previous post. However, of course, as an American, you'd need one to GET to an EU country! But you can ride trains from say France to Spain or Italy without showing docs.

3. My (brand new, grrr!) passport was stolen in Rome in 1997 and I got a new one at the Embassy there. The expiration date on the laminated first page is Mar. 1998. When you get a provisional passport overseas, it's good for one year and you have to have it updated (that's not the official word, but I don't remember it) when you get home. You have to flip to page 24 to see the update info and new expiration date. Guess how many (out of 10) officials who look at my passport's front page actually flip to page 24!!! Including the airport "security" and the US officials at airports. While you are thinking, I'll tell you that I travel a lot, including overseas, several times a year. Ok, the answer is about 2/10. Are you surprised? I'm surprised every time it happens (9/11 made no difference.) I'm always MORE suprised when the person does check, and give them a mental congratulations for job well done.

Anyone else have this situation?

We have a similar situation with my wife and her maiden name (on the first page) versus her married name (indicated as a note on the addendum page). People look at boarding passes and then the passport and invariably we have to point them to the back page :) My wife says "never again!" ;)

I don't think you need one to move around EU countries, contrary to a previous post.

Many EU countries (but not the UK) signed the Schengen Agreement to promote free, unhindered travel across EU borders. You generally will not be stopped, but you still need a passport (or an EU Identity Card) to cross the border and you can be stopped for a spot check and be asked to produce your passport.

I once lost my passport in Austria, and had to go to the local police to report it so I could get a letter from them to ensure I would be let out of the country, and let back into the UK when I returned home. Needless to say, after all the hassle, the immigration official at Edinburgh airport never even looked at the letter and waved me on.

Many EU countries (but not the UK) signed the Schengen Agreement to promote free, unhindered travel across EU borders. You generally will not be stopped, but you still need a passport (or an EU Identity Card) to cross the border and you can be stopped for a spot check and be asked to produce your passport.

I once lost my passport in Austria, and had to go to the local police to report it so I could get a letter from them to ensure I would be let out of the country, and let back into the UK when I returned home. Needless to say, after all the hassle, the immigration official at Edinburgh airport never even looked at the letter and waved me on.

But you know how that goes, if you didn't have it they would have asked:rolleyes:

As people have said you do need one to get between the UK (which is in the EU) and the rest of continental Europe.

You also need one if you fly between different counries in the EU, its only crossing borders by land in continental europe where it is not required. I cerainly did when I was flying between different countries in Europe last month.

You are right, of course. Ssorry. I was thinking of no border stops on train rides and car trips. And I was remembering that a flight from Italy to, say, Germany, is considered "domestic" at the airport (as in getting there one hour ahead, not two). But of course they look at passports.

just wanted to let you know that my husband & I went to apply for our passports yesterday and they still have Dec. 31, 2005 as the deadline for visiting Caribbean countries. Of course this may change, but despite the news articles going around, the date is still the same as of now.

Archived