Kenai area cruise tours wit Princess

knbcruisers

I am in early stages of planning for June 2016 Alaska. I am looking for info from anyone whose taken a Princess cruise tour that doesn't go to Denali. I am leaning heavily towards DIY for Kenai Peninsula but haven't seen any reviews or feedback on how well princess does the non Denali tours.

Did a cruise tour 4 years ago that included Fairbanks, Denali, Mt McKinley, and Kenai. The Kenai was, by far, our favorite. Princess has a small lodge overlooking the river with small guest cottages. The raft trip down the river was a blast. We stopped to snag salmon, went through rapids, and saw lots of wildlife. If we do another cruise tour, it will include the Kenai.

The Kenai Princess Lodge was lovely, and had a nice restaurant. We did a great riverfront hike, went salmon fly fishing and did a float trip--all quite good. Gwin's restaurant nearby was great and cheap. We'd go there again any time. We did it DIY--if you do, Soldotna is also worth a stop.

Edited by taxatty

Don't forget to look into Copper River as well. Our tour took us there and that was our favorite. It must be like Kenai - small and out in the wilderness. So much more peaceful that Denali.

Enjoy your planning! And your cruise!

One thing to add. . .we found that in order to get from point A to point B in Alaska, one must plan on a full day! Seriously.

We started in Anchorage. A train took us to Denali - we ate breakfast and lunch on the train. From Denali, we took a bus - all day - to Copper River. We had breakfast at the Denali lodge and the bus stopped at the only place we saw along the way for our lunch. It was someones home that part had been converted into a family style on your own lunch. They served hamburgers, soup, or (I think) one other sandwich. (And yes, they lived there. The bathroom was could use was also theirs, complete with shampoo in the shower/tub!

Then from Copper River to the ship - all day again by the same bus. We could get food on the catamaran on the way from the end of the bus to the ship.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!