Snorkel tour 8:15 vs 11:15, which one?

cigarboo

We will be in st. Thomas on Christmas Day. I was Thinking about snorkeling with captain nautica. They offer 8:15 and 11:15 tours through the cruise line. Any reason I should pick the earlier time? Since it's christmas, I was thinking of sleeping in/ having breakfast at leisure with the kids, instead of rushing to try to catch an 8:15 tour(considered early in my book).

However, if the water tends to be more calm or clear, or if there is a better chance of seeing more turtles and fish in the 8:15, then I would go for that. Also, I tend to not like being cold, so I was thinking it might be warmer at noon? Just not sure how warm st. Thomas will be, by the end of December. If you compare it to florida, it starts getting "too cold for the beach" for me around early November.

In the past, I tend to not get into the water when we cruise between jan-march, but that was because the water around the Bahamas felt too cold for me. Was hoping st. Thomas will be a little warmer, since it's a bit more south. I know, I'm a wimp!

Thanks!

The average historical air temperature range for Christmas Day is 73-85. The water temperature is about 80 in December, probably a bit chilly for a Floridian. You have the gulf stream to keep things warmer. Many VI locals don't get in the water in the winter. If they do, they may wear a dive skin, rash guard or shorty wetsuit. ;)

Wow, you are right! That is way too cold for this Floridian. I had in my mind high 80's-90's... So either time wouldn't matter, if I don't get in the water. I think I will not book anything ahead of time and just see if something is offered on the pier when I get there. Plan B: coral world and coki beach. Thanks for the heads up!!

I have to smile at this because while it may be cold for a Floridian, we think St Thomas in early Jan, is warm! Of course our perspective is coming from North Dakota. We have only had one day too cold for us, our first cruise in 2002 we flew into San Juan and it was 60 degrees. That year ND had a January heat wave and it was 60 degrees in Fargo.

seashine: Yes, you are right. Visitors in the winter are always amazed at the school children wearing coats. When you are accustomed to 80 degree days, 75 seems cold! LOL It's all perspective.

cigarboo: There are more taxis per capita on St Thomas than anything else. If there is a cruise ship at the dock, regardless of the day, they will be clamoring for your business.

As long as the taxi's are running, I think I have lots of options. I haven't completely ruled out a snorkel tour, but I will check the weather forecast to get a ballpark temp before I decide. Maybe I'll get brave, or maybe they will get an unusual winter heat wave.