1 or 2 nights in Miami Beach pre-cruise in January?

Ottawamomof2

Hi! I've ready a lot of great advice in this board lately that has helped with some of our planning so I thought I would try posting a thread to get some advice on my little dilemma.

Our cruise departs from Miami January 31st. We are going back and forth about spending 1 or 2 nights pre-cruise. We like the idea of spending 2 nights because we get an extra buffer day just in case of bad weather (flying from Canada!) and we've never been there (Miami Beach) and would love to explore the city, relax and have fun!! On the other hand, we know it will be pricey so we would save some $$ only staying one night (could use for excursions). And we know that Florida weather can be unpredictable in January so it can be really hot or really cold and we would hate to spend all that time and money and not be able to enjoy the beach etc. So what do you think? thoughts? thanks :)

If you haven't been to Miami Beach, and considering you are flying such distance in winter, I'd go for the two nights precruise stay. Then depending on the time you arrive you know you have a full day plus at least a portion of another. The weather at the end of Jan. is generally very nice. Early Jan can be trickier as you mention.

Your challenge will be your budget which you mentioned. There are some nice small hotels in the South Beach area that are not resorts with pools and multiple bars etc. They offer lower rates than the large full amenities places. ( they fill fast tho) Go on tripadvisor.com and see the ratings, descriptions, locations of some of those. We stayed at La FLora last year for 5 days and had a blast. Perfect location, huge room, continental breakfast, cocktail hour nightly and super staff. No pool or fancy bars, but we were coming off a 10 day cruise and just wanted a few more days to spend in warmth. We paid much less than the larger hotels in the area. There is another small one next door...wish I could remember the name for you.

Another option is to stay downtown Miami or Brickell and take a cab into Miami Beach/South Beach for a long day. Might save a bit on hotels staying away from Miami Beach.

Edited by eandj

Your dates are over the Miami Marathon so pick something quickly.

I agree that I'd spend two nights in Miami Beach. Even if it isn't beach weather (which it probably will be) it will be pool weather unless we get some out of the ordinary cold snap.

Also, booking something off the beach (most South Beach hotels are not directly on the beach) will save you some money.

If you can, go the priceline route.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

We are going in a couple of weeks. Looking for some restaurant ideas that won't break the bank and happy hour suggestions. There will be 10 of us from Canada. We are staying near the airport so suggestions near there and in Sobe would be appreciated. TIA.

There are TONS of places in South Beach. If you walk down Lincoln Mall Road, you will see lots of signs for happy hour. We didnt try them but they looked good! On Ocean Drive, we went to Wet Willy's for slushy drinks...the price was ok but its a lot of alcohol so its worth it! We also went to Corono Cafe for a huge bowl of margarita and I thought that was reasonable. Mangos was fun but expensive.

have fun! I wish I was back there!

If you can, go the priceline route.

Good luck!

I agree with all of Blue's advice this time except for her comment about Priceline. Between normally high demand due to the time of the year, plus the marathon, I would reserve something in SB NOW that you can live with that also can be cancelled without penalty - then keep shopping. You can try Priceline in Nov/Dec/Jan, but I suspect the savings will be small and the pickings will be few.