Last minute cancelling with insurance

RuthlessBoss

Cruising in about a week and I do have insurance. A medical issue just came up yesterday.

If I need to cancel so soon to cruise date, do you get 100% back or is reimbursement based on a non insured rate? I would be quite upset to buy the insurance and not get anything back:confused:

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Cruising in about a week and I do have insurance. A medical issue just came up yesterday.

If I need to cancel so soon to cruise date, do you get 100% back or is reimbursement based on a non insured rate? I would be quite upset to buy the insurance and not get anything back:confused:[/quote]

A lot depends on the policy's terms and conditions but as a general rule you should receive any amount not refunded by the cruise line up to your coverage limits. Best thing to do is get on the phone with the insurance company and find out what their procedures are. Hope whoever has the medical issue heals quickly. Edited by sparks1093

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Cruising in about a week and I do have insurance. A medical issue just came up yesterday.

If I need to cancel so soon to cruise date, do you get 100% back or is reimbursement based on a non insured rate? I would be quite upset to buy the insurance and not get anything back:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes, you will get your money back except for what you paid for the insurance.
Now, if this was a pre-existing condition, then you will get your money back as long as you bought the insurance when you booked the cruise. If you waited until later, then you may not get your money back if due to pre-existing condition. Best to call the travel insurance provider and get the ball rolling, you will need to send in a claim form with a doctors note describing why you cannot cruise.

Ruthless.... Regardless of insurance you should get "Govt Fees and Taxes" and any prepaid gratuities refunded by Carnival. Any Excursions you can cancel a few days before sailaway should be refunded to the purchasing credit card.

With the Trip Protection you should be able to recover any prepaid expenses not refunded by the Cruiseline.

Carnival Trip Protection doesn't cover "pre-existing conditions" no matter when purchased, so hopefully the adjusters can't tie this incident to a previous condition. The only hitch I can see is that most policies require that you be "able to cruise" the day you purchase the policy - hopefully that's your situation.

Good Luck!

Ken

[quote name='Ken076']Ruthless.... Regardless of insurance you should get "Govt Fees and Taxes" and any prepaid gratuities refunded by Carnival. Any Excursions you can cancel a few days before sailaway should be refunded to the purchasing credit card.

With the Trip Protection you should be able to recover any prepaid expenses not refunded by the Cruiseline.

Carnival Trip Protection doesn't cover "pre-existing conditions" no matter when purchased, so hopefully the adjusters can't tie this incident to a previous condition. The only hitch I can see is that most policies require that you be "able to cruise" the day you purchase the policy - hopefully that's your situation.

Good Luck!

Ken[/QUOTE]
It is not a pre existing problem.

We are going through a similar situation. The cruise we were booked on leaves 11/11 (RC). My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer, just last week.
I canceled the cruise the day after he was diagnosed.
The paper work just came in the mail. There is a form for the dr. Once that is submitted we should receive 100% back.
We never purchased the insurance. It was included, for booking through our TA.
Good luck to you RuthlessBoss.

[quote name='WetToes']We are going through a similar situation. The cruise we were booked on leaves 11/11 (RC). My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer, just last week.
I canceled the cruise the day after he was diagnosed.
The paper work just came in the mail. There is a form for the dr. Once that is submitted we should receive 100% back.
We never purchased the insurance. It was included, for booking through our TA.
Good luck to you RuthlessBoss.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. And according to Hoyle, my phone service, internet and cable went out in my neighborhood. Don't know yet if I missed a call. Just got back here.

[quote name='KPfromCT']Hoping the results come back GOOD!!!!
Good luck, RuthlessBoss:D:D[/QUOTE]

I'm in a quandary. My test said all is well, but the problem still exists:eek: Unless something more comes up, I'm going cruising:D I don't get to go much like I used to because of the solo status and fares.