Behind the Fun on the Fantasy. With an 11 y/o.

amcjeep4life

My nephew is pretty interested in ships and anything with an engine. This will be his second cruise, this time with his 5 y/o brother. I was debating taking him on the Behind the Fun tour as a "grown up" thing, leaving his brother at Camp for a few hours. Has anyone else done this with a younger kid? Did they enjoy it, or would they rather have been at the pool? I've done it on the Miracle and the Freedom, and had a blast both times. I'd like to see the smaller ships and see how they compare.

Also, I know there are no cameras allowed. If my camera was in my pocket for the entire time, with no intention whatsoever of taking it out, would they allow that? Or will the guard take it away and carry it? Honestly, that doesn't bother me, I just hate the idea of leaving it in my room and missing any potential picture opportunities before or after the tour. Mostly because by the last sea day, I imagine I'll be too damn tired to walk to the cabin if I don't have to. Thanks!

Jamman54 did a GREAT review of the Fantasy. Here's a link to page 8 where he discusses Behind the Fun :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1993572&page=8

It's very specific that you can't have any recording devices of any kind.

His entire review is really worth a read if you've not been on the Fantasy. Or even if you have. Or even if you just like to read REALLY well written trip reports. :)

Edited by CruzinScotty

On my recent tour, the guide took the cell phones and carried them. He might of made them be turned off for the duration of the tour. Wish I had known, you are exactly right about not walking back to the cabin, especially after walking so much on the tour.

My 11 year old nephew took the tour on our Ecstasy cruise and I have to tell you, while he had a good time, he got bored, was antsy and couldn't wait for it to be over... There were parts that he liked, but mostly was bored and ready to go back to playing with the video games and get to the pool..

Each kid is different... My nephew, while he loves cruising, doesn't really care so much about engines etc... For $55 it was worth it... Had it been a larger ship at $95 I would say no...

There was a child about that age on our tour and he seemed to have a good time. Just remember it is long and there is a lot of walking and standing around.

They took everyone's cameras and cells at the beginning and placed them in a tub for safe keeping. We got them back at the end.

Thanks everyone. It was my thinking as well that on a bigger ship, he might not like the tour quite as much. I know when we were on the Glory I mentioned to him that you could see some of the stuff, like the garbage room, and the navigation, and that sort of stuff, and he said that sounded like a lot of fun. I'm sure touring the stage area won't be his favorite part, but I think we will try doing it. If he hates it, it's only $55 and 2 1/2 hours of his time. LOL.

And thanks for the help with the camera situation. I'll be happy to let the security dude tote my camera around just so I don't have to go fetch from the cabin. :p