Passport Woes

I applied for a passport renewal at the end of June. I called at the end of July to find out the status and was told the new passport should arrive around the end of August. I was all excited yesterday when I saw an envelope from the passport office in the mail until I realized that is was too thin. My passport application was rejected due to "incorrect/incomplete" application! :eek:

I double-checked my copy of the application and couldn't find anything wrong. Plus I had my husband review it for me before I submitted it. The only thing I could find that was questionable was when I signed and dated it, I used the MM/DD/YY format for the date instead of the MM/DD/YYYY format that was on the application. I called the phone number for the passport office, but the woman there said she didn't have a copy of the application and the notes in the computer just said incomplete/incorrect. I asked her about the date format, and she said that could have been the problem.

She told me that since I had already sent in my old passport with the first application, I might have to re-apply for my passport as a new passport instead of a renewal. I told her that I have a copy of the old passport front page but the government already has my old passport. She told me to try sending in the passport copy, a new application, new photos, renewal fee, expediting fee since we're leaving on Sept. 30th, overnight delivery fee, a copy of the rejection letter, and a note explaining that I had previously returned my passport and just see what happens. She also said that even with expedited service, it could take up to 4 weeks to get the passport because of the current backlog.

I gathered everything up yesterday and mailed it out for Monday delivery. If everything goes well, I'll have a new passport around Sept. 20th. That's cutting it too close for my comfort. If they reject my renewal application again because I couldn't submit my old passport this time, I'll have to take a day off work to go downtown and file for a new passport in person. I guess I'd better start looking for my birth certificate and marriage certificate just in case.

What a mess! Hopefully my application will go through this time. I've already spent over $200 trying to get my passport renewed. If they reject this application, I'll have to spend another $200 and take a day off work to get a new one. I'll have to do more travelling abroad to get my money's worth out of this passport.

Sorry for the long venting!

This is interesting. When you renewed, everything should have been checked over. Maybe you should start over. That way someone at your county clerks office will check over the application and tell you if the information is correct before you send the application in. I know it takes a long time for a passport to be processed, because of background checks and things like that. Try, try, try again and better luck next time.

Archived