Queen's and Princess Grill QM2 Travelers take NOTE - Concierge Lounge

JGR01

I realize that the majority of QM2 travelers (Crossings and Cruises) will be traveling in cabins assigned to the Britannia restaurant. I'm not going to start plus/minus discussions on that venue vs the Grill restaurants nor the numerous differences associated with the accomodations.

I DO want to remind Princess and Queen's Grill guests to take advantage of another outstanding QM2 feature availabile to you.

On Deck Nine between B and C lifts is the Concierge Lounge. Being on that deck myself I found it the first day and it was a convenient stopping-off point. It is nothing elegant .. but a comfortable place with some snacks and coffee from 8am to 8pm.

The BEST advantage of the Concierge lounge however is the Concierge staff itself. On my crossing, Ms Julie Jones was the concierge. She is assisted by another member of the Pursers Office and also another person assigned to specifically to tours (on a Crossing mainly end-of-cruise transportation).

Grill Guests may use the Concierge Lounge instead of the Purser's Office for many of their enquiries (not currency exchange). I had a pre-order problem with my shipboard account and Julie handled it immediately. I had a question on dress codes or schedules and got the information immediately. She also had copies of the various news-feeds (not newspapers) and weather reports. You could also obtain tickets for the planetarium showings each day.

Julie is a WONDERFUL concierge. She will research the internet or contact Cunard directly for most anything the guests are looking for. One guest asked about tea purchases in London and she got the address/map of several shops in London for them ... Julie quickly organized (with the Social Hostess) a small Cruise-Critic get-together on the Crossing. I found her services (and bubbly attitude) a wonderful 'added benefit' for Grill passengers.

The Purser's office will rotate people into this Concierge position. Julie will be moving to the 'Night Purser' position in a few cruises (after 09 Aug Crossing) for a rotation .. and someone else will be managing the Concierge Lounge. The position however is that of a 'Senior Officer' level, and hopefully the next Concierge can fill Julie's shoes. I know tho she will provide them with anything new she has learned .. and the tradition of outstanding service will continue.

On disembarkation morning, the lounge was not open (stopped by about 8:30am to say goodbye) so do not leave anything until the last minute!

Just another great Cunard service to the Grill Guests! :)

grrr.. I wrote you a long nice response and somehow the internet lost it!!!

OK ..

1. Concierge probably WILL NOT accept any payment. There is not the facility to do so in the Lounge .. this is best left to the Purser's office. You can print/review your account there .. and look at issues.. but not make payment.

2. Paying your bill be Travelers Check. HMMM.. you need to list a credit card (at the pier prior to embarkation) OR post a $300 per person cash (travelers check?) deposit onboard. [you might need the credit card initially then replace it with the cash when onboard] NOT 100% sure Travelers Checks but the web site says cash or travelers check (check specifically excluded I think).

3. The credit balance must be a credit balance per person for EVERY day of the cruise . not just an initial deposit! Half-way thru you have overspent and have $50 debit balance, you need to re-depost enough money to be in the credit column a few more days!

4. Gratuties (per person per day) also can be charged to your onboard account .. or pre-pay months in advance. Most pay daily. Paying your waiter/steward additonal CASH gets to them directly.. paying an additiona credit on your account goes into the total staff 'pool'.

5. I would personally suggest giving yourself a 'gift' of a shipboard credit several months in advance (yes on a credit card but one that you can pay off in the intervening months) http://www.cunard.com/images/Content/gift_order_Apr14_05.pdf while this is normally someone sending YOU a gift, there is nothing wrong with you sending yourself a credit!

6. You can 'cap' one person's charge capability .. for example a child. Their card would not be able to go over a pre-set limit .. internet surfing charges can ADD up quickly for everyone!

What did I spend my $$ on??

Day pass to Spa ($79 for five days per person)

Photos ($29 for formal night 8x10 candid more for posed)

Dry cleaning/pressing of formal wear that never packs well

Wine with dinner, drinkies before dinner

Gratuities (varies by days and cabin-Britannia vs P/G guests)

$24 for an hour 'package' of internet access

I did NOT gamble (slots take bills while chips are from your account). I did not get my hair done nor have any of the Canyon Ranch services. I did not play bingo nor buy a lot of art at the Auctions! I did some shopping onboard but not a lot!

Hope this helps.

Long way to say that the Concierge does not accept money .. but can help you print and review your account.

jgr01, you forgot to mention the tea, coffee, finger sandwiches and cookies

every day in the Concierge Lounge. Great place to stop and sit and nibble on the

4 block walk back and forth on 9 deck.

I am prone to massages, and the one I had on QM2 was the best I've ever had

anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

John, forgive me for not sending you a thank you note befroe this...busy at the office playing catch up...On behalf of Sharon and myself We want to thank you for the flowers in our cabin...we are sorry that we did not get to spend more time with you or at least bend the elbow a few times.

The Golds.

• 1 month later...
Julie quickly organized (with the Social Hostess) a small Cruise-Critic get-together

Hello,

I was wondering if you held this get-together in the Cocierge Lounge, or did you meet in one of the public rooms?

Our upcoming sailing includes approximately ten Cruise-Critic couples (and hopefully more) that wish to meet on our first day at sea.

Are we better off using the concierge service, or organising things by ourselves?

Thanks!

Alan

Hello,

I was wondering if you held this get-together in the Cocierge Lounge, or did you meet in one of the public rooms?

Our upcoming sailing includes approximately ten Cruise-Critic couples (and hopefully more) that wish to meet on our first day at sea.

Are we better off using the concierge service, or organising things by ourselves?

Thanks!

Alan

Julie and the Purser felt that it was better to organize the get-together in one of the public rooms as they were unsure of the size of the group (the Concierge lounge is not huge). With a large public room it would be simple to put as many chairs together as needed.

Also, the Concierge Lounge is a place for the Conceirge and the additional Shore Excursions person to work and deal with passengers issues. They felt that it would be inappropriate to other Princess and Queens Grill pax when other venues were available. I know they try and keep the lounge th exclusive domain of Grill pax.

Hope this helps .. they can plan most anything .. and with enough notice possibly add the event to the ships newspaper. THAT would be the best option.

JGR01,

Thank-you so much for the quick response!

I will post your suggestions to the others on our roll call.

Since we will be on a "cruise", not a "crossing", we will have two full sea days before our first port of call.

Thanks again,

Alan

Hello again,

Would anyone have the e-mail address of the current Grill purser or social hostess on the QM2?

Or is there another way to contact these individuals?

This way, we could organise our get-together prior to embarkation.

Thank-you!

Alan

sorry .. do not have the e-mail

I can suggest that you look in your crusie docs (mine are at the lake so I cannot look it up) and get the FAX number for the ship.

You need to back-track the current sailing itinerary to find out what 'ocean' she is in as that is part of the phone number.

FAX the ship then to the Purser or Social Hostess or Concierge (if most of the group ar QG/PG pax) and put your request in.

The Fax is expensive. I faxed the QM2 a compliment on Ms Julie and I think the charge was $15 for time. I use a service call www.efax.com so it was sort of simple to do .. just compose and send on my computer and they do the rest.

....I was on the same cruise... Julie did not impress me at all - most of the time I could smell alcohol on her breath and the reason she was not in the Concierge Lounge the morning of Dis-embarkation is because she did not arrive for work at all that morning.... Bubbly... definitely from a Bottle...

I realize that the majority of QM2 travelers (Crossings and Cruises) will be traveling in cabins assigned to the Britannia restaurant. I'm not going to start plus/minus discussions on that venue vs the Grill restaurants nor the numerous differences associated with the accomodations.

I DO want to remind Princess and Queen's Grill guests to take advantage of another outstanding QM2 feature availabile to you.

On Deck Nine between B and C lifts is the Concierge Lounge. Being on that deck myself I found it the first day and it was a convenient stopping-off point. It is nothing elegant .. but a comfortable place with some snacks and coffee from 8am to 8pm.

The BEST advantage of the Concierge lounge however is the Concierge staff itself. On my crossing, Ms Julie Jones was the concierge. She is assisted by another member of the Pursers Office and also another person assigned to specifically to tours (on a Crossing mainly end-of-cruise transportation).

Grill Guests may use the Concierge Lounge instead of the Purser's Office for many of their enquiries (not currency exchange). I had a pre-order problem with my shipboard account and Julie handled it immediately. I had a question on dress codes or schedules and got the information immediately. She also had copies of the various news-feeds (not newspapers) and weather reports. You could also obtain tickets for the planetarium showings each day.

Julie is a WONDERFUL concierge. She will research the internet or contact Cunard directly for most anything the guests are looking for. One guest asked about tea purchases in London and she got the address/map of several shops in London for them ... Julie quickly organized (with the Social Hostess) a small Cruise-Critic get-together on the Crossing. I found her services (and bubbly attitude) a wonderful 'added benefit' for Grill passengers.

The Purser's office will rotate people into this Concierge position. Julie will be moving to the 'Night Purser' position in a few cruises (after 09 Aug Crossing) for a rotation .. and someone else will be managing the Concierge Lounge. The position however is that of a 'Senior Officer' level, and hopefully the next Concierge can fill Julie's shoes. I know tho she will provide them with anything new she has learned .. and the tradition of outstanding service will continue.

On disembarkation morning, the lounge was not open (stopped by about 8:30am to say goodbye) so do not leave anything until the last minute!

Just another great Cunard service to the Grill Guests! :)

I think some of you are making too much of the concierge lounge. As far as I'm concerned it is a tour office with a few places to sit and some light refreshments. It is definitely not a place one would want to spend any significant amount of time other than to conduct whatever business may be at hand. It is basically a windowless room with no real food service other than a few snacks.

Archived