Question about gluten- free on menus

jolyroger

I have a friend who will be cruising with us in April on the Sunshine, she has celiac disease and really needs to stick with a gluten free diet...now I've been on the Breeze and other Carnival ships and I never really paid attention to see if they do have gluten free choices...I mean I know they have their "lighter fare and sugar free" items but cant for the life of me remember about the gluten free section or if there is one...I thought I seen guys burgers having a gluten free bun, but not definite..Can anyone enlighten me? Thank You so much in advance!

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

Gluten Free:

Our chefs will make every effort possible to fulfill your requests and will gladly prepare freshly made options that meet your dietary needs. However, you will need to make arrangements in advance with your headwaiter and hostess. Once onboard, we ask you speak with them so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

Additionally, we have available gluten free bread for deli sandwiches, hamburger buns for burgers, and cake upon request. Plus, our ice-cream and yogurt are Gluten-free and we offer Gluten-free pizza at the Pizzeria, as well as, Gluten free pasta on the pasta bar (only available on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Sunshine). However, please keep in mind that sandwiches, burgers, and pizza are prepared fresh upon request. Therefore, they may take a little longer than regular menu items. We ask for your patience while we prepare your requested dish. We’d also like to mention we carry Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura for your enjoyment.

The items that can be made GF are not identified as such on the menu, like they are on Royal Caribbean.

It is kind of hit or miss. You tell the person taking your order for dinner the next night what you want and then find out if you get it or not at dinner the next evening.

We found it to be so much better when the hostess takes the orders - they generally know what can be made GF and have you pick something else, not so much when the waiter takes care of it.

I think Carnival and Princess do an excellent job with GF, although Princess has much better GF bread than Carnival.

I have a friend who will be cruising with us in April on the Sunshine, she has celiac disease and really needs to stick with a gluten free diet.....Can anyone enlighten me? Thank You so much in advance!

My wife also has Celiac Disease and we wondered how Carnival would address that. We were on the Glory last week, and let me tell you, they exceeded our expectations. Not only were there plenty of gluten-free items to eat, but they went out of their way to specially prepare meals for her. Each night at dinner, our waiter would bring out the following day's menus and my wife would make her selections. When being seated the next night, the waiter would go over her selections to make sure everything was in order. One night, she had ordered the French onion soup, which we had both thought would merely be the usual soup without any bread. We were actually concerned when she scooped a spoonful and found some bread in the bowl. We thought that she had been given the wrong item, but no; the bowl had been specially prepared for her with gluten-free bread. Other items throughout the week were similarly altered for her. She even found out halfway through the cruise that she could have the chocolate lava cake (I think that was the name) made without flour. She chose that for dessert the rest of the cruise because it was so delicious.